2019 Membership

We'll definitely pass that.

I've always maintained our low membership over the past decade was mostly to do with us not winning many games and to an extent the paddlepop controversy, rather than the Suns inclusion into the comp. This season's tally so far has proved me to be correct all along.

On another note just had a squiz at the ticketmaster site, only 47 tickets left for tomorrow!
It's a little difficult to tell, given the rapid one-two-three punch of the collapse of the Fevola thing, the Paddlepop, and the introduction of Gold Coast all happening within two things.
Still, we gained members in 2010 (Fevola+Paddlepop introduction+no GCS) and had our second-biggest loss in our history as a merged club in 2011 (Fevola collapse+Paddlepop sinks in+GCS introduction).
membership.png

Oh, yeah, and...
membership2.png

Last edited:
We'll definitely pass that.

I've always maintained our low membership over the past decade was mostly to do with us not winning many games and to an extent the paddlepop controversy, rather than the Suns inclusion into the comp. This season's tally so far has proved me to be correct all along.

On another note just had a squiz at the ticketmaster site, only 47 tickets left for tomorrow!
Membership and attendances - both success dependant.

We've had this discussion before but it's worth noting that for a long time only full season memberships counted in the official membership numbers but now most (all?) membership categories count. Not sure exactly when that changeover happened though.

26,083 - I would think this game is our final chance for a significant boost. Unless we keep winnig of course in whcih case the bus will keep filling. Either way, tonight is going to be a great event for footy at the Gabba.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
26,083 - I would think this game is our final chance for a significant boost. Unless we keep winnig of course in whcih case the bus will keep filling. Either way, tonight is going to be a great event for footy at the Gabba.

Given that a lot of 3 game memberships would presumably have been bought to go to this game +2 others I can't see our membership boosting significantly, unless as you say we keep winning.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
Has there ever been a time with this much hype on the Lions combined with the Broncos performing so poorly? I had a look and the only years in history where the Broncos have missed the finals we have finished the same or below them on the ladder. A deeper look and we have only finished above the Broncos ladder position in 1999 and 2001-2004 over our 21 year coexistence (not including this year).

If the Lions can start building some momentum over a few years, combined with a few down years for the Broncos, it could be huge for the public perception up here, as well as the Lions off-field position.

Has there ever been a time with this much hype on the Lions combined with the Broncos performing so poorly? I had a look and the only years in history where the Broncos have missed the finals we have finished the same or below them on the ladder. A deeper look and we have only finished above the Broncos ladder position in 1999 and 2001-2004 over our 21 year coexistence (not including this year).

If the Lions can start building some momentum over a few years, combined with a few down years for the Broncos, it could be huge for the public perception up here, as well as the Lions off-field position.
Broncos did have a terrible first half of the year in 99, lost eight of the first eleven or something like that and there was good buzz on Leigh coming on board as coach. Lions coverage would still have been ten pages back in the Courier Mail but anyway...

Slowing a bit! But expected.
Without looking at stats I would imagine at this stage, the average Gabba attendance this year would be up about 2 to 2.5k which is good progress!
Actually with the 34k at the Collingwood game it would be up even more!
We are consistently over 20,000, despite playing all non-Victorian teams at home, other than the Collingwood game. For some of the match ups (eg Port) that would be an increase of 5K on the past few years.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Slowing a bit! But expected.
Without looking at stats I would imagine at this stage, the average Gabba attendance this year would be up about 2 to 2.5k which is good progress!
Actually with the 34k at the Collingwood game it would be up even more!

The Lions 5 Home Game Average for 2019 is 22,897
The Lions 11 Home Game Average for 2018 was 18,408
Stats from Footywire

Similarly:

Each of our home crowds this year has been the highest against that opponent since 2013, except for the Adelaide crowd.

View attachment 678366

well that saves me some time, cheers.

Pretty happy we got even for the adelaide crowd given that game last year was 7:25pm on a saturday night off the back of our 3 wins in a row.

How have we not played St kilda up here since 2015? weird

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
24/5/2019 : 26,921
We just passed the 2010 membership tally of 26,779.
Nek one is 2005 with 28,913.
probably not this year, but if we keep winning, maybe.
Thanks for the graph ABCD
Win on the weekend should see at least 25k at the Hawks, either way we should get over 22k.

29/4/2019 : 26,338
Over 2400 more than this time last year.
Keep winning boys, still got 441 to equal 2010.

We got there! 26,921
Next highest was in 2005 28,913

Come on over Broncos fans

24/5/2019 : 26,921
We just passed the 2010 membership tally of 26,779.
Nek one is 2005 with 28,913.
probably not this year, but if we keep winning, maybe.
Thanks for the graph ABCD
Win on the weekend should see at least 25k at the Hawks, either way we should get over 22k.

Haha missed it by 1 minute

Back