Opinion 2019 Most Improved

Who was Carlton's most improved player in 2019?

• Levi Casboult

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Jack Silvagni

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other - please nominate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

With the 2019 season now done and dusted, it is time to look back and reflect on the season that was.

Despite a rocky period, we saw a number of players take significant strides forward, as well as considerable improvement as a collective.

So the question is, who gets your vote for our most improved player in 2019?

Will add stats later but the candidates are....

1) Levi Casboult

The much maligned journeyman finally found his groove in 2019 and produced clearly his best season of senior footy as a 29 year old.

Spent some time up forward and also as a relief option in the ruck, but also made the switch to a key defensive post at times throughout the year and flourished in that role.

2) Jack Silvagni

Few 21 year olds have to deal with the same scrutiny as Jack, largely thanks to the famous surname.

Whilst there were queries surrounding Jack leading into the season and through the early parts of 2019, he really found his mojo over the second half of the season, showing his quality in a number of different roles.

For mine his best position remains somewhat of an unknown, but someone with his smarts, skill and versatility, will be of great value to the side as we progress.

3) Jacob Weitering

Lost his way somewhat in 2018 but rebounded in the strongest fashion possible, reminding the football world as to why we rate this 21 year old as highly as we do.

Assumed greater responsibility in the defensive half as a key partner to Liam Jones and flourished, both in one-on-one contests as well as zoning off his man to play the role of interceptor.

4) Sam Petrevski-Seton

Showed some great signs in the middle before shifting to a role at half back for the second half of the year. Looked very comfortable in the new role too, where he was given license to take the game on and use his skill to set up forward thrusts from the defensive half of the ground.

Time will tell where he ultimately plays his best footy but there's no doubt we discovered an extra string to his bow that we otherwise may not have been aware of.

5) Other?

For mine the above are the more obvious candidates but plenty of others showed signs of improvement also. If you can mount a case for them being named our most improved player in 2019, have at it.

tough to split 1 & 2..........levi probably gets the nod as he has been given away (literally) so many times yet just keeps enduring and ultimately he managed to go from ziggie to a diamond dog and now plays an integral role in the 22 - jack had a breakout season - stronger, bit quicker, more confident, clever when it was needed and every single minute he was on the ground bled navy and demanded his teammates did as well - best clubman every year he plays.....

Yip gave levi the nod only because he fills a KPP role. back/forward/ruck.

If you asked me who has turned matches this year in the same category I'de say Jack hands down with sheer grunt never say die attitude and intent.

JSOS for me. Levi has been around for years and already shown at times some great footy - it’s just that he did it this year more consistently. Jack had shown glimpses in his first couple of seasons but looked to be dropping away and then under Teague was so consistent and did so many extra one percenters. He seems to rise to the occasion when the boys are struggling and do something courageous or multiple efforts and it lifts the whole team. Does a lot that doesn’t get a number on the stats sheet.

Not a straightforward decision imo, but if pushed to commit I’d opt for the order presented - that is, Levi gets the nod, followed closely by JSOS, then closely again by Weiters, and then SPS.

As fantastic as Levi and JSOS have been, I think it’s worth emphasising the huge improvement shown by Weiters in 2019. Although I never lost faith, I must admit that at times in 2018 I was finding myself focusing more on his limitations (especially his lack of speed) than on his strengths, and it was a relief when this season got under way to see that he was well and truly back on track. Imo, Weiters has shown great maturity and leadership this year (remember him taking the boys aside immediately after the heartbreaking loss to the Suns?), and along with some standout performances I’ve been super impressed by his consistency. Iirc, I think that Weiters said himself that Russell has played a key part in his improvement in 2019, and we’ll hopefully see that occur with a number of players in time for next season.

Speaking of next season, I really hope that Fish makes it on to the 2020 most improved list, because I love the guy and feel that he’s definitely shown that he’s got “it”, just nowhere near enough in season 2019. If Fish does make the most improved list at the end of 2020, then I suspect that Dow has a good chance of joining him - I’m expecting a breakout year from him in 2020. Still, I think that the competition for spots on the most improved list will be hot next year, which is just another sign of the exciting direction we’re moving in as a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At our local club some years back a lanky young ruckman won the Most Improved trophy for the senior team. It was his third year in a row

His acceptance speech - “Most Improved in the Under 18s, most improved in the Reserves and now most improved in the Seniors.

The question has to be asked - just how s**t was I ? “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, Jack. This was the season he truly arrived and seized ownership of his place in the team.

Levi has shown plenty over the years but has lacked consistency. This season he achieved that consistency and added a string to his bow, playing in defense. So glad for him, as I've always been a fan!

But Jack by a whisker.

Jack is still underrated given what he will become, but Levi is clearly the most improved, especially adding KPD to other areas of improvement
Absolutely Levi for most improved. A mature player making such advancement is rare.
Jack's improvement is largely about maturing in body and mind, and will continue. Levi the standout.

Absolutely Levi for most improved. A mature player making such advancement is rare.
Jack's improvement is largely about maturing in body and mind, and will continue. Levi the standout.

This ^^^^

All the poll nominees (and Harry) took a big step forward this year. But some/much of that was expected as natural progression with age/experience.

Levi's is pure improvement, seemingly from nowhere.

Even ignoring age, Levi wins this hands down IMO.......he went from 'laughing stock of the AFL' and a player no one wanted as a free agent to one of the league's premier swingmen.

Is he the only player in the league that had decent output as KPF, KPD and Ruck? Hooker and O'Brien (Hawks) come to mind, but their ruck minutes were pure emergency only I think.

I'd written him off. I thought moving him to KPD would be the worse positional change since Pagan put Fev at FB. But he proved me wrong. Big time.

Mmmmmm.......the humble pie tastes delicious.

I'd have to give it to big Levi his versatility and match winning efforts put him in front imo...
Top improvement in players for the year
1. Casboult
2. Silvagni
3. Weitering
4. Thomas
5. McKay
6. Petrevski-seton

Levi's resurrection and Jones' reinvention are huge ticks for the club.

Recruiting is vital, but without development it is next to useless.

Youth development is probably the biggest piece of the puzzle, but mature-age development important too.

If players get injured, can the club (coaches) come up with a plan B? If the list/22 is imbalanced, can the club rearrange pieces to make things work? Can the club pick up unloved players from other clubs and reinvigorate their careers?

Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong have had plenty of success picking up players from the scraphead and extracting hidden value. These guys are often free hits (DFA) or cheap hits (token late picks). We still have a way to go, but Levi/Jones give me some confidence that we may yet master the art of mature age development.

:thumbsu:

Battled a bit with kicking accuracy after he injured his groin...but check out how many marks this bloke made during the year - cant wait to see him in 2020.

The way McKay was clunking the ball this year, I don't think it matters who he is matched up on.....

....but I wouldn't say no to some more McKay/Caleb Daniel marking duels... :tearsofjoy:

I get the accolades Levi is receiving have always been a supporter of his but Harry took the brunt of tall forward work in second half and soldiered on after a groin injury - really happy with his performance under a lot of pressure.

A fit Charlie and McGovern - will unleash Harry - not a lot of match ups that can handle a more developed Harry.

Back