2019 MotoGP

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the greats, and probably the smoothest rider I've seen at that level.

Honda weren't willing to budge on the bike which is sad, and sadder still that George has had to take this option.

Kinda true. Lorenzo quite liked last years Honda when he tested it. Honda's big push for this year was to try and match Ducati for horsepower and their new more powerful engine meant altering and moving things like the airbox which then changed the bikes handling and feedback. Lorenzo struggled with the change and Honda did a lot of work early days with new seats, altered tanks, etc to try and make him feel comfortable. Just as he began to adapt to it by going back to an old Honda seat, he got injured. Then more injured. Then he broke his back and fear entered his mind. Once his mind was gone at the end, he could've had his old Yamaha and wouldn't have been competitive.

So Marc is joined by Alex at Repsol.

Kid is a world champ so you can't begrudge him too much, but the Spanish nepotism is alive and well.

How often do you get the chance to teammate brothers who are both current champions, they can pretty much name their price for advertisers/sponsors. Interesting that it's only for 1 year initially, both parties keeping their options open?

As the Moto2 champion, Alex absolutely deserves promotion to MotoGP. This feels like a bad fit though.

Rightly or wrongly, he was always going to be compared to Marc when he made the top grade and it's going to be unfavorable for him. But beginning in the biggest, most high profile team in the paddock, he's going to cop the most intense spotlight possible on him. And to only get a one year contract, I think is a terrible deal for him. Of course, no rider would turn down the opportunity to race for Repsol Honda but I feel like this is a bad situation for Alex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a somewhat unexpected move, Karel Abraham won't be on the MotoGP grid next year. One of the most controversial riders in MotoGP due to his pay-to-ride status, Abraham had a contract to race for the Avintia team next year. After last week's Valencia test where Abraham rode the 2019 Ducati he was to race next year, he went home to find an email waiting for him from lawyers on behalf of the team. Written entirely in Spanish (Karel doesn't speak Spanish) it informed him that his contract had been terminated. He sent messages to the team manager (from whom he'd already been assured his position was safe) without response. When he messaged that he would be at the Jerez test, the manager (former racer, Ruben Xaus) finally responded telling him not to go, that the email was the termination of his contract and to end all communication with him. No explanations. No phone call.

The rumours have been circulating for a couple of weeks of a Zarco move to Avintia. He denied them, stating he'd rather race Moto2. Yet here we are. What a filthy mess.

In a somewhat unexpected move, Karel Abraham won't be on the MotoGP grid next year. One of the most controversial riders in MotoGP due to his pay-to-ride status, Abraham had a contract to race for the Avintia team next year. After last week's Valencia test where Abraham rode the 2019 Ducati he was to race next year, he went home to find an email waiting for him from lawyers on behalf of the team. Written entirely in Spanish (Karel doesn't speak Spanish) it informed him that his contract had been terminated. He sent messages to the team manager (from whom he'd already been assured his position was safe) without response. When he messaged that he would be at the Jerez test, the manager (former racer, Ruben Xaus) finally responded telling him not to go, that the email was the termination of his contract and to end all communication with him. No explanations. No phone call.

The rumours have been circulating for a couple of weeks of a Zarco move to Avintia. He denied them, stating he'd rather race Moto2. Yet here we are. What a filthy mess.

Yeah one moto 2 win and a best 7th in the top grade plus his dads influence is hardly earth shattering . Sorta feel for him . Sorta . Too many up and comers who can’t be denied seats .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah one moto 2 win and a best 7th in the top grade plus his dads influence is hardly earth shattering . Sorta feel for him . Sorta . Too many up and comers who can’t be denied seats .

I mean Karel is generally mid packish and a bloody good rider in isolation. It’s an interesting thing this pay rider stuff . Low wage / sponsorship. Hope he continues in some form I guess .

In isolation indeed. I'd think I was king of the world if I could get within 10 seconds of his laptimes!

Certainly there's little justification for his place in MotoGP based on results and few would argue he's as good a rider as Zarco. But to be told all along he's safe through to even testing for next year is terribly underhanded and unprofessional and probably goes a long way to explaining why after 8 seasons at the top level they still require two pay riders to survive. When Zarco flies the coup after next season and takes his French backing with him, I struggle to see a sustainable future for this team.

I was looking up the 1949 season due to that poster. 6 rounds, but the best 3 results count. That means Leslie Graham wins with 30pts, having scored 31. Two guys scored more than him! 125 champ Nello Pagani scored 40, but only 29 counted. Arciso Artesiani scored 32, but 25 conuted.

I wonder why it was that was when all results counted for some of the other classes?