News 2019 signings and other news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news on where Harry Dear is playing this year after being delisted by the Crows? Was hoping he might have bobbed up with us.

Practice match schedule. All the games are away.
Sunday 3rd March at Footscray 12:00pm clashes with the JLT
Saturday 9th March at Richmond 12:00pm
Saturday 23rd March at Casey time TBA likely clash with AFL
Saturday 30th March at Werribee 2:00pm.

Hey mate, just checking this one is still on at 12 as far as you know? Might get down there Saturday.

Box Hill City Oval comes within the federal electorate of Chisholm, which was won by the Liberals last election with a margin of 1.2% but is now held by an independent (Julia Banks) who is not going to run in the seat in the next election (likely to be held in May 2019).

The major parties have each preselected Asian-Australian women to contest the electorate. Prior to Julia Banks winning the seat at the last election, it was a Labor seat (most recently held by Anna Burke) so with the anticipated swing back towards Labor at the next election, the Liberals probably are long odds to hold on to the seat.

My write ups from various stages -

Well I made it but so far they’re not letting anyone into the ground. Thru the fence I can see Glass and Golds warming up. So is Schoey.

Also spotted Meadows Reeves Greaves Mohr Ross Miles Walker Pitto and my man Lachie Walker. No sign of CJ.

Allowed into the ground now, bit of a relief.

--

8-25 qtr time. Got slaughtered early. Meadows the only one giving Richmond any trouble. Schoey moves himself back and steadied the ship after we conceded the first 4 goals in quick time. Sam Flatcher looks a likely mid prospect (kicked our one goal on the run) and Mason De Witt an althletic defender, good finds. Greaves has been good on half back.

Reeves looks like he hurt a shoulder pretty badly late in the qtr.

Don’t like to pot blokes on first viewing but a kid called Patrick Anderson has taken short steps 3 times in one qtr and deserves a potting.

CJ here in civies.

--

Half time 29-44.

Richmond started all over us with 2 early goals. You do forget how bad VFL umpires are. We had a good patch for about 10 minutes where we added 3 goals and got back to 10 point margin. All momentum lost when Glass turned a goalden opportunity for an easy forward entry into a goal for Richmond with a sloppy kick under no pressure.

Tristan Tweedie who was an NGA for us at one point looks quite a likely type, rangey and athletic.

No one except Andrew Moore stood out that qtr. Golds continues to be involved and Miles is doing his thing.

Reeves back on but looking sore.

Richmond clamped down on Meadows that qtr. Also copped a knock to the leg and went out of it as a result.

Oh yeah Lachie Walker sparked some of our best passages that qtr.

--

CJ has a pinky in plaster.

3 goals in first 3 mins 3rd qtr and we’re in front for the first time. Richmond been by far the better side would have thought. Miles brilliant creativity sparks the first and Ross snaps the second. Miles agin sets up Anderson for third.

Now Schoey a great one on one in the goal square gets another.

Walker and Mascitti long set shots for 6 goals to no score this qtr.

--

66-44 at 3qtr time. Richmond barely a fwd entry that qtr. Every player lifted. Golds and Miles in everything. Pitto much improved on last week.

Box Hill have lost a bunch of senior players but they look like they’ve found a few.

--

13.7 85 to 10.3 63.

Golds probably the most prolific listed player. Andrew Moore best player overall.

2 very different halves.

I'll do some player write ups shortly.

Hawthorn listed –

Walker – Struggled to find a way to get involved. Went for his pack marks, but the packs were a bit heavy and although he got hands to a few he didn’t take any. Did take a couple out in front on the hit up – the second resulting in a lovely long set shot goal.

Ross – a very Ross like game, a couple of sightings of something a little special, but largely invisible. Does seem to have tunnel vision near the sticks. Snapped one nice goal.

Golds – Lots of ball out wide or on the end of a clearance. Mostly used it very nicely too, apart from one obvious turnover. Does get a lot of his touches out wide but often sends his disposals back into the corridor.

Miles – Box Hill’s Glenn Maxwell. Super creative and plays with flair. But it can be all or nothing. Today he was great, his willingness to take the game on created 3 of our goals in the 3rd qtr. Ran hard all game. One of our best today.

Glass – To be fair he won a lot of contests and generally used it well. Just looks a little lazy with his passing sometimes and it cost us badly one time. He’s almost thereabouts, but he doesn’t look like he’s got the next step in him at present.

Pittonet – Worked really hard, doing all the hard, un-pretty stuff. Crashed a lot of packs around the wings and flanks, smashed it out of bounds in a heap of contests. Tackled well, and got his share of little hand passes and tap ons, smothers and shepherds. Some sublime taps at the centre bounces too, had a big hand in getting it going our way in the second half. One of our best, opposite of his effort last week.

Mohr – not great. Poor defensively early on, but even in the 2nd half he made some woeful disposal decisions. Not sure he’s the answer if Frawley goes down, not on this showing anyway.

Greaves – a lot to like, especially when Richmond were all over us in the first qtr, he stood up quite well. Seems to have a knack of finding the pill in a one on one scuffle and somehow dishing off under pressure. Workman like, but also tidy skills.

Schoenmakers – Slotted himself behind the ball after Richmond kicked the first four and helped stem the tide for the rest of that first qtr. Didn’t do a lot else until the 2nd half when he got a bit more of it around the ground and also took a superb mark in the goal square in the 3rd. Appeared to take another cracking contested mark in the last that wasn’t paid for some reason. Not bad for his first hit out in a while.

Box Hill standouts –

Andrew Moore was excellent after qtr time. Willed himself to the ball in the packs and got it going our way repeatedly.

Meadows started well, a bit more subdued after qtr time. Sam Fletcher looked lively early as well. Kilpatrick had a good second half, but all of the lads played well after half time. Mason De Witt looks an athletic defender, took some nice marks and got involved a lot.

Apart from the occasional hit out and one or two neat handballs, unfortunately Reeves was largely useless.

Patrick or ‘Paddy’ Anderson, I potted at qtr time for 3 really weak efforts. Well he made amends with some better play, but then took short steps twice more in the last qtr. I’d never heard of him before today so it’s not a pre-conceived notion on my part, and I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he ain’t normally like that. But 5 really obvious ‘didn’t go when it was his turn’ efforts in one single match? Yikes.

Mascitti from Port is a great pick up. Our old NGA kid Tristain Tweedie, who ended up at the Dogs for a year, looks ready for the level – good size and athleticism. Nathan Boucher looks like he’s ready to take over from Billy Murphy. He looked really dangerous.

Lachie Walker was handy, got involved in some of our best passages. After playing CHB in all the previous times I’ve seen him, today he played out of the centre square almost all of his game time, and was involved in a lot of clearances our way.

Last edited:
Top write up Stemline. A good practice match win with 9 HFC to 12 RFC listed/rookie players. Harry Jones was rested. Early in the second quarter the Tigs led 6.2 to 1.3 with harder running and winning the contested footy. Then Pittonet came to life and we dominated the clearances scoring 12.4 to 4.1. Some of Pittonet's tap outs were very good and Reeves' taps were good in the last quarter. Moore was BOG with Meadows, Fletcher, Horner, Evans, Kilpatrick, Mascitti and Walker all good. I would like to see Meadows run harder defensively. Golds was very good with his ability to evade opponents and good decision making. Mat Walker showed glimpses of being special. Greaves used his body very well to protect the ball and used the ball to the advantage of his team mates. Glass was good except when he attempted short kicks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TGH, the other BHH listed players not mentioned above were Aaron Cotte, Jesse Cucinotta, Connor Byrne and Matthew Shannon. It's fair to say all players contributed at some stage. Byrne did a great tap on in the second quarter and Cotte showed some courage. M-M didn't play.

So stemline & houdinihuddo, where do you see Pittonet? Is he a player who will dominate at VFL/SANFL/WAFL level but has difficulty making the transition to the top level? Or is he still developing player that needs the one more season to consolidate?

I know what I'd prefer.

Well given he probably found career best form right at the end of last year, you'd have to say he's still developing & improving.

Hopefully his first game for the season last week against Brisbane was an aberration, because his form all around that has been very good. I don't think it was a matter of playing at a higher level last week against Brisbane, it looked more like the effort just wasn't there compared to today.

I guess the next month or so will tell if the effort becomes consistent.

So stemline & houdinihuddo, where do you see Pittonet? Is he a player who will dominate at VFL/SANFL/WAFL level but has difficulty making the transition to the top level? Or is he still developing player that needs the one more season to consolidate?

I know what I'd prefer.
As Axl Rose said all we need is just a little patience.

After a fair period of flatlining which is ok showed what he will become in a few years last year. 2019 is not when he is expected to perform.

Box Hill City Oval comes within the federal electorate of Chisholm, which was won by the Liberals last election with a margin of 1.2% but is now held by an independent (Julia Banks) who is not going to run in the seat in the next election (likely to be held in May 2019).

The major parties have each preselected Asian-Australian women to contest the electorate. Prior to Julia Banks winning the seat at the last election, it was a Labor seat (most recently held by Anna Burke) so with the anticipated swing back towards Labor at the next election, the Liberals probably are long odds to hold on to the seat.

theres been a redistribution and the southern part is now in Hotham. The southern end was strong Labor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back