2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect compliment to a top 4 side like us then! Honestly AMT would add so much potency to our forward line teaming up with Charlie and Linc.
I don’t think so. Tom Berry will add so much more and plus we have the likes of Cameron, McCarthy and Rayner, so I’ve NFI why we’d need someone like an inconsistent AMT.

Or vice versa - he's only on when they're on.

Very true mate. I could be wrong, but I think he is close to goalless is Essendon losses. He was electric against us earlier in the year though and made our backline look really slow. I can dream, but imagine AMT and Cameron x2 in our fwd line. That would be a scary day for opposition small defenders!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If our last two marquee trades have shown anything it's that we can identify talent that's on the precipice of breaking out. Neale was a very, very good midfielder that would have been in the discussion of 7 - 15 as best in the league. Cameron would have been a good small forward in Eddie's shadow that had a great prelim. Both have moved into the elite by position since moving.
Maybe we're right now at the point where we can an attract an outright bring in a top tier player but I still feel like based on history we'll be looking at a very good player who's just about ready to hit the next level.
Question is where are we wanting and who is on the precipice of breaking out?

I'll take a second McCarthy please.

Indeed what a gem he has been. I thought after half a dozen games we had seen his best and that he would just be a decent small forward with some hot and cold stretches. Over the last couple of weeks he has shown that he is capable of much more, could very well be a 20 touch, 1.5 goal a game, top 5 player at the club. Crazy!

Perfect compliment to a top 4 side like us then! Honestly AMT would add so much potency to our forward line teaming up with Charlie and Linc.

I think we’re well stocked for smalls in there and have other priority areas. Half back run, wingers and of course more mid field depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Brad Hill is out of our reach another Lincoln McCarthy type ie. a very good small forward who can play significant midfield minutes if required would be fantastic, preferably in the 22-24 age bracket.

Types of player required IMO-

1- Long running outside mid with A grade disposal eg. Brad Hill.
2- Run and gun out of defense eg. Adam Saad/Zac Williams.
3- Small fwd/mid eg. Lincoln McCarthy.*
4- More midfield quality eg. Stephen Coniglio/Darcy Parish.*

Another option is Dayne Zorko playing more minutes as a small forward as he ages, he would be an elite small forward, 35+ goal a year small, Zorks is 31 before the start of next season although IMO he is capable of playing into his mid 30s.

The fallback option is always more midfield quality and/or depth.

Our recruiters are building a great record of identifying talent, even later in the draft so I'm reasonably confident that last years draft could provide some midfield quality, Tom Berry, Tom Joyce, Ely Smith, Connor McFadyen and Noah Answerth.

I’m not sure that a running hbf is going to be a priority with our game style. We are a contested, tough, methodical team. A player breaking the lines looks great but we are careful with our disposal now.

Another wing type (has to be able to win their own ball) to compliment Hugh on the other wing would be great.

Neale was a very, very good midfielder that would have been in the discussion of 7 - 15 as best in the league. Cameron would have been a good small forward in Eddie's shadow that had a great prelim. Both have moved into the elite by position since moving.
FWIW Neale was already elite - his 2016 season was one for the ages and since then he'd shared star billing with Fyfe - 1B to Fyfe's 1A. It's just that Lions supporters hadn't really seen it because it was over in the west - out of sight, out of mind.

I’m not sure that a running hbf is going to be a priority with our game style. We are a contested, tough, methodical team. A player breaking the lines looks great but we are careful with our disposal now.

Another wing type (has to be able to win their own ball) to compliment Hugh on the other wing would be great.
IIRC Fagan, Noble and Swann have all said over the last year or so that we would like to get a running HBF.

I’m thinking in our trades there will be a ruckman, get them in a year before Martin retires. I’m not sure Archie is a grand final ruckman. Big O, yes he is there, Martin next year then we need one so I’m thinking a Martin understudy.

The best ruck in this years draft is near a Martin clone, except he's a better kick. He's very good around the ground, following up and competing for ground balls. He also likes to go forward and kick goals.

So as it stands now the Gold Coast trade from last year was

Pick 16 (2019) for pick 19 (2018) and pick 19(2019) and around pick 40

At the time, I can remembering thinking it was a bad trade, with the potential to be a downright awful one. The trade by itself is looking great, adding in the Collingwood element and this helping us secure their first rounder this year, it looks like a master stroke.

Would be feeling downright ripped from the Suns point of view, noting that the 2018 pick 19 was linked to West Coast in a similar deal.

As it stands the cost for them for our first rounder is.
2017 picks 21, 26, 38
2018 pick 25
2019 pick 19 ~40

At the time, I can remembering thinking it was a bad trade, with the potential to be a downright awful one. The trade by itself is looking great, adding in the Collingwood element and this helping us secure their first rounder this year, it looks like a master stroke.

Would be feeling downright ripped from the Suns point of view, noting that the 2018 pick 19 was linked to West Coast in a similar deal.

As it stands the cost for them for our first rounder is.
2017 picks 21, 26, 38
2018 pick 25
2019 pick 19 ~40

Good lord that is deplorable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back