Papley, 25
Gain:
16, 34, Future R2 (Carl), Taylor

Gold Coast Lose:
Martin, Ah Chee
Gain:
21, 25

Swans probably stiff and Suns might be hesitant too

Soon we have a late night trade deadline for TV Prime time viewing.
Spider cam and open access to staged trade convs.

Last edited:

Here’s a little hypothetical that won’t happen:

Carlton Lose
Pick 9, Future R2
Gain:
Martin, Papley

Bris Lose
16, 21, 34, Taylor
Gain:
9, Ah Chee

Sydney Lose
Papley, 25
Gain:
16, 34, Future R2 (Carl), Taylor

Gold Coast Lose:
Martin, Ah Chee
Gain:
21, 25

Swans probably stiff and Suns might be hesitant too

I'm not sure that really work for us to be honest. I'd rather take 16 and 21 to the draft than just 9 and use Taylor and Cutler trades combined with later pics to satisfy the Gold Coast. Maybe even find a way keep 34 or bring in something similar.

3pm paperwork lodgement is real. AFL have been sticking their nose in for years trying to get clubs to delay trades. This on top of the bloody reverse top 10 draft shows they have no idea about what they need to do to create good media content during off season.

Hypothetical question - what happens if we do not meet the Suns' demand for Pick 21 for Ah Chee? Does this mean that he goes into the National Draft. Given that we have a contract offer on the table for him, he can then make this the minimum condition of anyone drafting him. For example, 4 years at $$ per year? I also assume this means that the Suns get nothing for him at all.

3pm paperwork lodgement is real. AFL have been sticking their nose in for years trying to get clubs to delay trades. This on top of the bloody reverse top 10 draft shows they have no idea about what they need to do to create good media content during off season.

I was absolutely glued to my computer screen from 3pm-7:30pm last year, worked a treat on me.

The AFL would definitely be telling clubs to line up all their deals and then they will be released in a tsunami of action in the last few hours.

There is no way in the world these deals could not all be worked out in 3-4 days, scouts, list managers and player agents are talking with each other all year, it's not as though they only get together and talk potential trades during the designated trade period.

I read on another board that paperwork for trades was not able to be lodged until after 3pm today to ensure some televised drama later in the day...not sure if that is true or not.
It's true...the clubs will all assemble at Marvel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we giving away decent players for nothing? Picks over 20 are dead set close to useless unless points for academy players.
We have at least one and potentially two or three academy players.

In the last four years we also have a reasonable record in turning those 40+ picks into contributing players, if not regular senior options (yet).

Why are we giving away decent players for nothing? Picks over 20 are dead set close to useless unless points for academy players.

Because we have said to them that it's best they look elsewhere for opportunity and to see what's out there. The club want to do right by these Guys and we obviously don't see them as key cogs going forward but know they might be useful to other teams, thus helping them get the most out of their career.

There is a good-will factor at play and in reality, that's about what they are worth.

It also means we might be able to hold onto walker and robbo, who fit our needs more IMO, which hopefully eventuates.

We have at least one and potentially two or three academy players.

In the last four years we also have a reasonable record in turning those 40+ picks into contributing players, if not regular senior options (yet).
Yeah you probably right, I am just in the draft picks are over rated camp. Too me if we picked up someone at pick 44 who turned out to be as good as Cutler or Taylor who would think we have done well. It’s more likely to go the other way. Not just talking about us but all clubs.

Yes we need picks and as much as I rather not loose players.
Most teams roll over 4-6 a year..
Helping them land somewhere for players who put in long years for us shows we care.
More then delist and throw them to the draft.

Yeah you probably right, I am just in the draft picks are over rated camp. Too me if we picked up someone at pick 44 who turned out to be as good as Cutler or Taylor who would think we have done well. It’s more likely to go the other way. Not just talking about us but all clubs.
Cutler himself was pick 33 so it’s not out of the equation we pick up someone better.

In addition to what others have said, it's also about managing the salary cap, not just for next season but subsequently. Trading is as much about contract and cap issues than the simple face value transaction of players for picks.

Plus Noah Answerth says hi.

In addition to what others have said, it's also about managing the salary cap, not just for next season but subsequently. Trading is as much about contract and cap issues than the simple face value transaction of players for picks.

Plus Noah Answerth says hi.
We are letting go Hodge and Bastinac. Them alone would release a fair bit of the cap

So aside from losing Cutler, Taylor for chips and getting Ah Chee, nothing else in the works today that we're aware of?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back