2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I don't want to be a Shane Watson here, but can we send this through to the third umpire?

We get a C+ for getting in CEY, & Birchall for nothing, & Ah Chee for a couple of future picks.

Norf get a C+ for bringing in Aiden Bonar (whilst paying him $500k a year from his GWS contract). That's it!!

C'mon now.

The Hun are a generous lot...B to us and carlton

Last edited:
On trade radio their list boss said '5 was never on the table'. Dodoro said they offered 9 (that they knew they could get for Paperly) and a future first.

Anyway, even if they did, 5 and 25 is a joke.

Pretty sure the comment was that Sydney never offered 5 and 9 or 5 and a future first, because Essendon said they wouldn’t take it. Them ‘not offering 5’ screams Essendon friendly media propaganda.

Daniher isn’t worth 2 1sts anyway and I hope it blows up on the bombers. They could save everyone time and just get on with it but they spend a week and a half leaking to ex-players instead.

I can’t believe SOS wouldn’t do 9 and a future second for Martin and 15. They were offering a future second for him anyway so no idea why a 6 pick upgrade was so problematic once it was clear papley wouldn’t be let go.

I can’t believe SOS wouldn’t do 9 and a future second for Martin and 15. They were offering a future second for him anyway so no idea why a 6 pick upgrade was so problematic once it was clear pallet wouldn’t be let go.

Maybe Sydney weren't willing to accept 15 for Papley

They definitely weren’t, but they weren’t willing to do anything unless they got Daniher which was off the table. Nothing to stop SOS taking the suns offer and getting it done in the last 5 mins when it was obvious papley was staying in Syd.

I agree Daniher with his body as is.. not worth 2 first rounders.
We got Neale + 30 for 6,19 and 55.

Bombers wanted a gun player and a first...
Hope Joe gets on the park.. Although if not he be worth a lot less end of next year comp. Ellis 39..

Pretty sure early in the piece... Charlie Gardiner said, "that the 2 deals weren't directly linked the possibility that both Daniher and Papley deals might not be reached this trade period."

Don't want to be unkind but it seems interesting how the Bulldogs looking for a KPF paid pick 32 plus change for Josh Bruce when they had already paid pick 25 plus change for Shaky.

Doesn't bode well for old mate.

I guess we all just got caught up in the hype and no one really did their due diligence.

Time will tell I guess. I actually think Joe's body might be cooked. Would explain why the Swans didn't put up that much for him & also explains why the Bombres haven't moved heaven & hell to resign him. Hope not for his sake.
The Bombers know better than anyone what condition his body is in. They would have happily taken a high draft pick from Sydney for a cooked player. The fact they held out for a return befitting a superstar suggests that he isn't cooked at all.

Lol, shattered?

what rot
It's Ralph. He proved that he's a clueless idiot when he declared Ben King to the Saints was worth putting your house on.

Let the kid go and try to build a career, he wasn’t going to with us.
This point always get lost in these discussions. He's a bloke who wants a career... his best chance is at a different club we have moved past him. Cus you know.... our club isn't a s**t club that will hinder a players dreams just so we can potentially get a 5 pick upgrade on a 3rd rounder...

I'm all for letting go of players to let them build their career. But one thing that's been lost in the discussion about Taylor (since it was being discussed before the deadline) is that Sydney didn't end up letting go of Papley...

Let's face it - probably 90% of the reason Taylor chose Sydney is that they're a low ranking club with what seemed like a big hole to fill in the forward line - he was thinking he would be every chance of being best 22 with Papley out the door. How would Taylor be feeling now? Would he have preferred to go to a different club? Would he have preferred to stay at the Lions? Did all parties pull the trigger on this trade too early, just assuming Papley was out the door?

It's an interesting question.

Absolutely picks are overrated. But list management means you can’t carry a heap of depth at any given time. Dumping cap space isn’t a sexy way of looking at trade period, but it’s certainly an aspect that needs to be taken into consideration.

This is a strange argument. Taylor and Cutler were not contracted. They weren't tied to 3 or 400k contracts that we were trying to get off our books. They were out of contract. The Swans and Bombers would be offering them minimum salary, and so would we - it would be barely more than the contract for the draftees that will replace them. The pressure on our cap from keeping these guys would be incredibly minimal.

These arguments about letting go of Cutler/Bastinac/Taylor for salary reasons because they are on 400k in the NEAFL don't hold much water. They simply won't be paid that much in 2020. It doesn't matter if we were paying Bastinac 400k this season, because we can pay him a rookie contract next season. Not a single cent of that 400k will show up in the TPP for 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure the comment was that Sydney never offered 5 and 9 or 5 and a future first, because Essendon said they wouldn’t take it. Them ‘not offering 5’ screams Essendon friendly media propaganda.

Daniher isn’t worth 2 1sts anyway and I hope it blows up on the bombers. They could save everyone time and just get on with it but they spend a week and a half leaking to ex-players instead.
Charlie Gardiner confirmed that 5 was not on the table. Only future first and 9 Bombers vow to ‘fight like hell’ as Swans plot another Joe crack - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-16/no-don-deal-joe-fails-to-go-left-stranded-at-bombers

Last edited:
Don't want to be unkind but it seems interesting how the Bulldogs looking for a KPF paid pick 32 plus change for Josh Bruce when they had already paid pick 25 plus change for Shaky.

Cant remember who but some higher ups at the Dogs recently said that Schache will have a career as a flanker and that's why they're looking for a KPF as well.

This is a strange argument. Taylor and Cutler were not contracted. They weren't tied to 3 or 400k contracts that we were trying to get off our books. They were out of contract. The Swans and Bombers would be offering them minimum salary, and so would we - it would be barely more than the contract for the draftees that will replace them. The pressure on our cap from keeping these guys would be incredibly minimal.

You’re basing this argument of your theory that they’ll be paid peanuts at their new clubs. That’s a long bow to draw. I think it’s safe to say they won’t be on a draftees wage. Will they take a pay cut? Probably. Would it be much of a reduction? Probably not.

Yes,it appears 5 was not on the table/offered because they'd already been told it would be knocked back, according to all the media, they were told straight up only picks will not cut it, they want a player.
Good decision by Essendon. They didn't bring in Shiel, Smith, Saad and Stringer (jeez that's a lot of S's) to simply start a rebuild with picks that will take 5 years to mature. This is a team built to win now, players are exactly what they should have been asking for.

Even though we didn't land a big fish feel like we improved our list. Cutler & Taylor even though fans like them they weren't in the best 22 and we've bought in 3 players who all fit will slot into best 22 in my eyes. CEY in my eyes will be massive for us and i'll be interested to see how good Ah Chee's ball use is off the half back but excited to see him running around for us! Even more positive news, if we were able to have a crack at Elliot it means we must have some money in the salary to re sign all our guns (McCluggage) for longer periods of time get that done.

Yes,it appears 5 was not on the table/offered because they'd already been told it would be knocked back, according to all the media, they were told straight up only picks will not cut it, they want a player.

Which is odd that they only offer a future first instead of 5..... You would assume next year's pick will be closer to mid table so 5 would have been the better pick...... So I think that's Sydney's way of manipulating the media rhetoric and controlling the expectations of fans on both sides.

If they truly believed 5 and 9 were not going to seal the deal..... Then they would have known a future first and 9 was never going to get it done.... As it was possible that the outcome for Essendon could have been worse.

In my opinion if Sydney were serious about the trade they would have at least offered 5 and 9 officially .

Which is odd that they only offer a future first instead of 5..... You would assume next year's pick will be closer to mid table so 5 would have been the better pick...... So I think that's Sydney's way of manipulating the media rhetoric and controlling the expectations of fans on both sides.

If they truly believed 5 and 9 were not going to seal the deal..... Then they would have known a future first and 9 was never going to get it done.... As it was possible that the outcome for Essendon could have been worse.

In my opinion if Sydney were serious about the trade they would have at least offered 5 and 9 officially .
It seems to have been more of a stand-off, rather than an actual negotiation.
The Bombers always wanted to keep him and made that clear from the start.
Sydney were not willing to give up 1 or 2 of their decent players, which I don’t blame them.
It seems like a trade that was destined for failure right from the start.

I can’t believe SOS wouldn’t do 9 and a future second for Martin and 15. They were offering a future second for him anyway so no idea why a 6 pick upgrade was so problematic once it was clear papley wouldn’t be let go.

Wonder if we'll go back to Martin for another chat. He'd be a good get for our first pick even..

Cant remember who but some higher ups at the Dogs recently said that Schache will have a career as a flanker and that's why they're looking for a KPF as well.
I believe Schache will become a good KPF once he gets to 26-27 years old. Like most KPF's, they need time. Hawkins the perfect example. I sincerely hope he is a career 500 goal player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back