2020 Draft and Trades Thread

What would we need to give up for Broad? Is he a FA?
No, was taken in the 2015 draft (pick 67) so just out of contract, only been in the system for 5 years.

"
But it’s understood the Suns have had a change of heart and are again knocking for Broad, who has former teammate Brandon Ellis at the Queensland club.

It’s understood the Suns would only take one of Broad or Markov."

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Re: Treloar......I see where C'wood are considering moving Cox on and the Bullies are interested. (Jen2310 might know more on this)
If we wanted to entertain a trade for Treloar, would we consider sending them Wright + Pick 33 and they pay $200K for every remaining yr of Treloar's contract.
They get a FWD/RUCK to help Grundy and a replacement for Cox, and pay Wright 500k + 200k for Treloar and save 200k from getting rid of Treloars 900K.
We get an outside MID for 700K and lose Wrights 500K.
This gives us an Inside Mid rotation of Rowell Greenwood Swallow Miller Fiorini and Brodie (who may be moved on)
and an Outside Mid rotation of Treloar Weller Anderson and Bowes, with Ellis Atkins Powell Sharp on a Wing rotation.
We keep Pick 5 and 24 which can then be packaged up to try and get 2,3 or 4 if we're only looking to take 1 live pick.

Thoughts?

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
so what do you can’t trade pick 5 to anyone for a mature player?

sit back and miss out on the 5 A-grade top draftees and settle for the next group 6-20. Who are all evenly mixed or attached to other clubs
Depends on if we can get anyone in the door. If not, we have a couple of 2nd round picks and if we are only going with one live pick we may as well see if we can move up a couple of spots or move them to next year. If we are specifically after one of DGB or Holland may as well trade up to secure them rather than wait and hope and potentially get jumped for them *cough* Clayton Oliver *cough*

Of course if we have no other option look to push it to a lower pick. But I don't want that to be our first priority, would rather exhaust all our avenues for a quality experienced players before we go to trading for a lower pick.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You guys are mad thinking Treloar wouldn't be a great pickup. You are over analysing it, hes an elite mid. Exactly what we need to take us to that next level.

maybe we can sign him For 12months.. 🤣
considering his mrs will be moving back to VIC next year🤦🏼‍♂️

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
He is not regularly injured. He is a leader, local boy. I can't imagine he would leave. He needed to work on a couple of things. It happens.
Ah ok, so he was actually dropped, interesting. Yeah meant no offence or anything about the injuries, I've just seen him do hammy's a lot. I think Sexton is a gun, if he lived in Melbourne and played in a better team he'd be talked about in the space of the DeGoey's of the world IMO. I just hadn't kept up with the Suns and was shocked when I heard he had been dropped as I would've ranked him in your top few players. People were suggesting we could trade for him cheap and I thought that was crazy, would need a 1st rounder pick minimum. But yeah as you say he probably wont leave regardless, it's just the internet rumours, just interesting to hear how he's going.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Of course if we have no other option look to push it to a lower pick. But I don't want that to be our first priority, would rather exhaust all our avenues for a quality experienced players before we go to trading for a lower pick.

Reading between the lines, sounds like our avenues are dead ends.

Suns media team been telling from the hills pick 5 is available for a mature player...

now we are being told we trying to get a lower pick..

obviously still very early days,
things change.. Aka Dunkley..

but looks like until we show a full season of promise, we can’t get an A grade into the club.

I would if thought Rowell leading the Brownlow at around 4 we’d have everyone lining up.

I’m still hopeful we throw the kitchen sink at Max King 👑🙌🏼

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No doubt it's our priority listening to all comments from SUNS. We did not show enough promise. Next year hopefully.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I dont reckon that's right, Brisbane won 5 games when they got Neale. We had a very similar year to them in 2018
Neale actually chosen Lions, contacted them first. Sometimes the team can get very lucky. Who knows maybe a big surprise is ahead of us in the next 2 weeks. I seriously doubt. Also interesting that while yes, number of wins are similar, Lions played 2 years older team on average in 2018 compared to us in 2020.

Last edited:
I dont reckon that's right, Brisbane won 5 games when they got Neale. We had a very similar year to them in 2018
I agree. I saw lots of 2018 Lions about the suns in 2020.
There was definitely lots of promise. I think the suns are one star away from taking the next step.

Gorringe Can Suck One

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Re: Treloar......I see where C'wood are considering moving Cox on and the Bullies are interested. (Jen2310 might know more on this)
If we wanted to entertain a trade for Treloar, would we consider sending them Wright + Pick 33 and they pay $200K for every remaining yr of Treloar's contract.
They get a FWD/RUCK to help Grundy and a replacement for Cox, and pay Wright 500k + 200k for Treloar and save 200k from getting rid of Treloars 900K.
We get an outside MID for 700K and lose Wrights 500K.
This gives us an Inside Mid rotation of Rowell Greenwood Swallow Miller Fiorini and Brodie (who may be moved on)
and an Outside Mid rotation of Treloar Weller Anderson and Bowes, with Ellis Atkins Powell Sharp on a Wing rotation.
We keep Pick 5 and 24 which can then be packaged up to try and get 2,3 or 4 if we're only looking to take 1 live pick.

Thoughts?
I like this a lot

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
You guys are mad thinking Treloar wouldn't be a great pickup. You are over analysing it, hes an elite mid. Exactly what we need to take us to that next level.
With hamstring and mental health issue a massive contract and has stated he doesn’t want to come. The whole mess screams DO NOT TOUCH

Essendon has been one of the rare teams to show interest in Gold Coast big man Peter Wright, reports SEN.

‘Two Metre Peter’ is contracted until 2022 and the size of his deal - over $500,000 a season - is making it difficult for the Suns to deal him away.

But at 203cm and having been squeezed out of the Gold Coast best 22, he remains gettable, just like midfielder and teammate Will Brodie.

With the Bombers almost certain to lose Joe Daniher, they hold at least some interest in bringing Wright south.

“It hasn’t been raging interest for him,” Sam Edmund said on SEN’s Whateley.

“With Will Brodie as well, the Gold Coast Suns are hoping to move both of those contracted guys on.

“Essendon has an interest, but to what degree I’m not too sure and I’m not sure the Suns know either.

“He fits into that discussion on list sizes – the Bombers have sort of interest there.”

He added more when speaking on Trade Radio.

“It was pretty slow early doors, but Essendon have raised their interest. We’ll wait and see if they move for him or not. There is some interest there from the Bombers,” Edmund said.

Suns Soldier

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2017
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
maybe we can sign him For 12months.. 🤣
considering his mrs will be moving back to VIC next year🤦🏼‍♂️
“Objection your honour, that statement is sarcastic in nature and based on speculation that the defendants partner only wishes to complete a 1 year contract without the option of playing on.

Seriously though, contract means nothing, I’m sure if Trelor, management and clubs agree to restructuring of payments, a deal can be made.

I’d take him in the midfield.
Would give swallow a helping hand.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
“Objection your honour, that statement is sarcastic in nature and based on speculation that the defendants partner only wishes to complete a 1 year contract without the option of playing on.

Seriously though, contract means nothing, I’m sure if Trelor, management and clubs agree to restructuring of payments, a deal can be made.

I’d take him in the midfield.
Would give swallow a helping hand.

I read swallow and helping hand and lost my chain of thought... 🤣

Back