Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
If we nominate Edwards for the main Draft, we have to match a bid at whatever that position maybe ......if Hamish has a feel for where that bid will be, the Club will decide whether to nominate Edwards or not
We don't have to match. We always have the option of deciding that the price is too high, and refusing to match the bid - as Sydney did with Dunkley in the past.

Nah, accepting pick 20 would be the worst case scenario
I’m quite adamant on this. It still baffles me that people would be upset for us to pay a top end band 2 salary figure for a 26 year old B&F in a club with as little established star power as us, for me that is chump change.

So realistically it’s band 1 or keep Brad. Anything less would be a worst case scenario for me.

I’m quite adamant on this. It still baffles me that people would be upset for us to pay a top end band 2 salary figure for a 26 year old B&F in a club with as little established star power as us, for me that is chump change.

So realistically it’s band 1 or keep Brad. Anything less would be a worst case scenario for me.
If we're only talking FA, then it's pick 2 or he stays.

There is also the option of trading him, but this is probably unlikely - because everything I've seen or heard indicates that he'd be happy to re-sign if Adelaide made him a competitive offer.

Said it before and will say it again, they have never been shy to identify what they want in terms of trade and very targets and then go out and try and get them. They have been bold..2018 draft is THE underscore on that
The secret for them is that they have managed their cap quite well which has allowed them to target free agents and decent trades. If a player wants more than they believe they are worth and is not critical to their structure they don't hesitate in moving them as we have seen with Wingard and Polec. They have also picked the eyes out of the draft at their picks and 2018 was a very good year for them. There's no secret to success, it all comes down to responsible list management and talent identification. Add in culture which attracts free agents/trades and coaching as well.

Last edited:
There is a massive difference between testing agility in gym and what actually translates on field.

There's been a lot of work done recently at either Uni SA/Flinders on devising a test that can more accurately reflect this.

The key issues are that agility in a game sense relies on a players ability to read the play, react and respond in a split situation to a completely unique situation to what the player has encountered before. In the gym, they run a relatively pre-defined course.

Its why on field D. Jarman could run rings around players whilst at the same time struggling to run a lap of the oval with a turning circle likely worse than the titanic if tested.

The agility testing in the gym is simply another measure of athleticism and like almost all of the testing done, is limited in its onfield applications and relationship to being a "good player".

The running jump and standing jump tests... not sure I've ever seen a more useless athletic test before.

Jordan Gallucci and Aiden Bonar have the all time record in the standing vertical jump. Other players to record bests in their draft years include Dean Towers, Kade Kolodjashnij, Elliot Yeo and Shane Edwards.

Then for the running vertical jump we have known high flyers like Andrew McGrath, Danyle Pearce and Kade Kolodjashnij (again) recording bests in their draft years. Kane Farrell came second in his draft year.

Aside from Nic Nat who does hold some records, the list is blatantly not the best aerial players in the AFL

The running jump and standing jump tests... not sure I've ever seen a more useless athletic test before.

Jordan Gallucci and Aiden Bonar have the all time record in the standing vertical jump. Other players to record bests in their draft years include Dean Towers, Kade Kolodjashnij, Elliot Yeo and Shane Edwards.

Then for the running vertical jump we have known high flyers like Andrew McGrath, Danyle Pearce and Kade Kolodjashnij (again) recording bests in their draft years. Kane Farrell came second in his draft year.

Aside from Nic Nat who does hold some records, the list is blatantly not the best aerial players in the AFL
I've seen live here at Mars Stadium Jordan Gallucci take several unbelievable high flying marks for the Eastern Ranges, and I mean spectacular....problem is I've not ever seen it replicated at either AFL or SANFL level.

There is also the option of trading him, but this is probably unlikely - because everything I've seen or heard indicates that he'd be happy to re-sign if Adelaide made him a competitive offer.
Also because other than Geelong, the potential destination clubs have no draft capital

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good couple of days for West Perth young gun Heath Chapman. Won the WAFL colts coaches’ award and also topped 2km time trial at the WA draft combine. Chapman and Perth’s Nathan O’Driscoll both posted sub-6.30 times, with Logan McDonald just over in 3rd.

Not a bad effort there from McDonald endurance wise.....but I'd back Thilthorpe to outdo him on that score as well.

Good couple of days for West Perth young gun Heath Chapman. Won the WAFL colts coaches’ award and also topped 2km time trial at the WA draft combine. Chapman and Perth’s Nathan O’Driscoll both posted sub-6.30 times, with Logan McDonald just over in 3rd.

Not a bad effort there from McDonald endurance wise.....but I'd back Thilthorpe to outdo him on that score as well.
Do you think think the testing results will be down this year due to COVID and reduced ability for group training (at least in Melb)? Like for like that is, knowing all years are different.

Yeah, and to me it all comes down to maximising value. Right now Brad is certainly not worth pick 2. But the fact that we could get pick 2 under the right circumstances presents obvious maximum value.

The other alternative is to resign your best midfielder to a unders contract (which IMO is very much the case for any contract that would see him get band 2). So again value added because you are getting him for substantially less then a player of his ilk should be getting.

Going after a trade at ‘fair value’ is a loss both ends of the value spectrum. So for me it’s a middle ground that is essentially lose-lose, and should be avoided at all costs

Do you think think the testing results will be down this year due to COVID and reduced ability for group training (at least in Melb)? Like for like that is, knowing all years are different.
Not if the youngsters have been diligent with the programs their NAB League/AFL Academy high performance managers have set them. Given how bad 99% of the lads want to get on an AFL list I'd not expect them to drop of much at all.

Not if the youngsters have been diligent with the programs their NAB League/AFL Academy high performance managers have set them. Given how bad 99% of the lads want to get on an AFL list I'd not expect them to drop of much at all.

Most of the SA (and WA?) blokes would have played on the weekend (compared to most years when the combine is held after the season), so I'd imagine it would affect their performance somewhat.

Most of the SA (and WA?) blokes would have played on the weekend (compared to most years when the combine is held after the season), so I'd imagine it would affect their performance somewhat.
Not really, if they have niggles at all they simply don't test....recruiters already have a shedload of info on their athletic profiles anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back