Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
Omitting James Fantasia's first two, we aren't too bad. A little early with the last 2 to call though.

6 picks in 30 years says something about why we aren't an overly successful club.
We have the 6th best win-loss record in the AFL. Folks love to smash us, because we haven't won a flag for 22 years (don't worry I have the occasional sulk about this as well). But, seriously, give the footy club a little credit once in a while. What you should be saying is that despite the lack of high picks, we have managed to be extremely competitive (aside from this year, of course, and to a lesser degree 2011).

We have the 6th best win-loss record in the AFL. Folks love to smash us, because we haven't won a flag for 22 years (don't worry I have the occasional sulk about this as well). But, seriously, give the footy club a little credit once in a while. What you should be saying is that despite the lack of high picks, we have managed to be extremely competitive (aside from this year, of course, and to a lesser degree 2011).
I know where you are coming from, but being competitive I don't count as successful.

For me, success is based on flags as #1.

9 wooden spoons and 1 flag is more successful than 10 runners ups IMO - but everyone is different.

Pretty damning to have had six top 10 picks in our entire history.

Two were duds, one left us in his prime to go on and win a Brownlow, one has had an decent career somewhere else, and the jury is out on two others (too early to tell). Not one club legend (official or unofficial) amongst our entire top 10 draft history.

Not bad to make a Grand Final in 2017 with no top 10 picks on the list.
Brad Crouch might count, he would've been a top 10.

Sport and business are different things. One has an absolute value for success, one is more qualitative.
We do play the games, and someone wins them ...

Premierships are the primary measure of success, but winning a lot of games (especially over a long periid of time) isn't a bad one as well.

Sport and business are different things. One has an absolute value for success, one is more qualitative.
Then why does everyone always quote “sport is a business” to me.
I am actually really proud of the fact that our club has always tried to finish as high as possible through 30 years. And to be able to stay relevant through that period despite a massive equalization policy that’s rewards being terrible, and many significant hurdles (some our fault some not) is a credit to us. Only Geelong have similarly never bottomed out, and I hold them in high stead because of it as well.

Then why does everyone always quote “sport is a business” to me.
I am actually really proud of the fact that our club has always tried to finish as high as possible through 30 years. And to be able to stay relevant through that period despite a massive equalization policy that’s rewards being terrible, and many significant hurdles (some our fault some not) is a credit to us. Only Geelong have similarly never bottomed out, and I hold them in high stead because of it as well.
It might be a pseudo business for those involved, but it's a sport to me.

It's not a proper business, otherwise the behaviour of the players would be more strictly regulated.

In a nutshell, Hawks have already spoken with Bulldogs about their 1st round pick, but apparently the Crows are 'far ahead' in what they can offer, also mentioned in a round-abouts way us agreeing not to bid on JUH at Pick 1

Graham Wright can take his salty tears and * right off and just allow us to do our business

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be a pseudo business for those involved, but it's a sport to me.

It's not a proper business, otherwise the behaviour of the players would be more strictly regulated.
Goodness, I’ve had plenty of employees that make footballers look like Saints. Personally I make absolutely no judgement on what people do on their own time. I’m not that much of a hypocrite.

66 is on the list. Players taken in the 60s:

64 2018 Lachlan Sholl
62 2016 Matthew Signorello
62 2012 Sam Siggins
64 2011 Cam Ellis-Yolmen
61 2010 Jarryd Lyons
61 2009 James Craig
60 2008 Tom Lee
64 2006 Nick Gill
68 2002 James Begley
67 2000 Graham Johncock
67 1997 Robert Shirley
65 1997 Justin Cicolella
63 1998 Clint Kirey
65 1997 Linden Stevens
69 1996 Chad Rintoul
60 1996 Andrew Eccles
69 1995 Ashley Fernee
Jarryd Lyons - wow!!!!! Look at him now.

Don't think there's much doubt now that Sydney won't be taking Thilthorpe almost for certain, I'm even very doubtful they'd seriously look at Hollands or McDonald at #3....Aliir Aliir to Port now makes Sydney long odds on to take Denver Grainger-Barras at #3 IMO, certainly that's the way I'm reading the tea leaves.

Don't think there's much doubt now that Sydney won't be taking Thilthorpe almost for certain, I'm even very doubtful they'd seriously look at Hollands or McDonald at #3....Allir Allir to Port now makes Sydney long odds on to take Denver Grainger-Barras at #3 IMO, certainly that's the way I'm reading the tea leaves.
Wouldnt you think taking a tall defender makes sense after losing one ??

Don't think there's much doubt now that Sydney won't be taking Thilthorpe almost for certain, I'm even very doubtful they'd seriously look at Hollands or McDonald at #3....Allir Allir to Port now makes Sydney long odds on to take Denver Grainger-Barras at #3 IMO, certainly that's the way I'm reading the tea leaves.
Pick 1. Logan McDonald (crows)
Pick 2. Riley Thilthorpe (north)
Pick 3. DGB (Swans)
Pick 4. Hawks
Pick 5. Gold Coast
Pick 6. Bombers
Pick 7. Bombers
Pick 8. Bombers
Pick 9. Crows

Dunkley to Bombers involving Pick 8 to dogs.

Be interesting how Dogs play it from there. Do they then trade that pick for points to us?
Do we try and get pick 8 up higher for Hollands who could end up going around 4 or 5?

Don't think there's much doubt now that Sydney won't be taking Thilthorpe almost for certain, I'm even very doubtful they'd seriously look at Hollands or McDonald at #3....Aliir Aliir to Port now makes Sydney long odds on to take Denver Grainger-Barras at #3 IMO, certainly that's the way I'm reading the tea leaves.
sydney wont get to pick mcdonald. if we dont choose him the roos will.

Pick 1. Logan McDonald (crows)
Pick 2. Riley Thilthorpe (north)
Pick 3. DGB (Swans)
Pick 4. Hawks
Pick 5. Gold Coast
Pick 6. Bombers
Pick 7. Bombers
Pick 8. Bombers
Pick 9. Crows

Dunkley to Bombers involving Pick 8 to dogs.

Be interesting how Dogs play it from there. Do they then trade that pick for points to us?
Do we try and get pick 8 up higher for Hollands who could end up going around 4 or 5?
I will be gobsmacked if we choose thilthorpe at 1. if hamish does he better be *ing better than mcdonald.

depends if they think McDonald projects as the higher talent?..also Buddy may not have too much left in the tank (remaining years on the contract aside) and he would become a very nice replacement

And because there's been talk that we might use it, our picks in the PSD (and games played):

2012 Nick Joyce
2005 Jason Porplyzia (130)
2001 Trent Hentschel (71)
2000 Adam Richardson (2)
2000 Chris Ladhams (54)
1999 Andrew Crowell (44)
1999 James Byrne (24)
1998 Darryl Wintle (3)
1995 Brendan Logan
1995 Simon Goodwin (275)
1995 Shane Ellen (54)
1994 Tyson Edwards (321)
1994 Peter Vardy (96)
1993 Matthew Kluzek (24)
1993 Shane Tongerie (4)
1992 Simon Pedler
1992 Nick Pesch (31)
1992 Josh Mail (4)
1992 Darryl Wakelin (261)
Great job with all the draft pick summaries, we have done quite well over the years with the draft picks we have had.

Any chance of a summary of our picks in the teens? :)

Looking at those list of players we've taken in their certain spots we have a better strike rate in the Pre season draft than we do in the top 10
Also better in the 20's and 40's than in the top 10, how bloody sad is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back