2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

Bet ya HAM is happy the safety car was "so slow" now.....would have made for an interesting result if all the tyre failures had kicked off a lap or two earlier.

Anyway, other than those few failures on the last lap another pretty boring race, and pretty much the WDC is done and dusted now as well. Another boring year for the sport coming up, with next year looking to be more of the same as well. F1 are not gaining any fans at all right now.
im hoping like hell that with Ricciardo in a Mclaren that is about to change from a renault engine to a mercedes engine, that Ric can once again challenge for podiums. That is my only hope for 2021. The year after will be a shakeup for new engine regs which will sustain my interest for the first couple of races. But if Mercedes somehow get a jump on the rest of the field again, ill probably just catch the highlights.

im hoping like hell that with Ricciardo in a Mclaren that is about to change from a renault engine to a mercedes engine, that Ric can once again challenge for podiums. That is my only hope for 2021. The year after will be a shakeup for new engine regs which will sustain my interest for the first couple of races. But if Mercedes somehow get a jump on the rest of the field again, ill probably just catch the highlights.
After the race the McLaren drivers were saying that the Renaults were faster than them. Hope it not a sign that Danny Ric will get screwed again.

After the race the McLaren drivers were saying that the Renaults were faster than them. Hope it not a sign that Danny Ric will get screwed again.

TBF, RIC didnt get "screwed" when he went to Renault (if that is what you are referring as one of the times his been screwed).
He went there to get paid. Many could see at the time (including a few of us here) that Renault were not going to improving and challenging for wins like they claimed to be when RIC signed. Maybe he truly believed that (I suppose it helps when the money is rolling in the bank account) but I think the only person that screwed RIC by going to Renault, was RIC himself.

Then again, are you really getting screwed if you're one of the top paid drivers on the grid?

Last edited:

Didn't get to see the race, but the tyre failures sound like a cause for concern maybe? Not to mention the tyres coming away from the cars again in heavy crashes.

I don't see that as being the case. They both outqualified the Renaults, Ocon couldn't get near them and Ricciardo got Norris because he had better tyres.

I don't see that as being the case. They both outqualified the Renaults, Ocon couldn't get near them and Ricciardo got Norris because he had better tyres.
They, both drivers, said it's been a pattern this season. They have stronger qualifying results and Renault have had better race times.

They, both drivers, said it's been a pattern this season. They have stronger qualifying results and Renault have had better race times.
Whacking a Merc engine in the back of it can't hurt though.

Kimi wasn't too happy that Alfa ****ed him with communication...again (stolen from Reddit)

1. making a strategic call just to revert it 5 seconds later
  2. very experienced driver doubting the call first, then reacting very angrily at the late reversal
  3. pit crew guy almost stepping into car space, probably because he "triggered" too early
  4. another crew guy failing to deal with a tire in a relatively low-stress pitstop (since everyone is doing it)

Sadly, you would think this may be Kimi's last year, as he said he would continue driving in F1 while it was still fun, and it doesnt seem like he is having any fun this year at all :(

Next weekend is forecast to be hot and with the tyres being one step softer I would not be surprised if some teams pit three times. Could be an interesting duel between two stoppers and three stoppers.

I haven't seen the tyre choices for next weekend, but you wouldn't expect many teams will want to use the softest tyre as it will only last a few laps at best.

Next weekend is forecast to be hot and with the tyres being one step softer I would not be surprised if some teams pit three times. Could be an interesting duel between two stoppers and three stoppers.

I haven't seen the tyre choices for next weekend, but you wouldn't expect many teams will want to use the softest tyre as it will only last a few laps at best.

Can see Renault going soft to qualify for Q3 and 2 stopping with a S-M-M strategy or a S-H-S strategy, based on DR's ability to look after his tyres.

Can see Renault going soft to qualify for Q3 and 2 stopping with a S-M-M strategy or a S-H-S strategy, based on DR's ability to look after his tyres.
can't see anyone doing a S-H-S. The Hard tyre was only good for 40 laps this week and next week's hard tyre is this weeks medium tyre. The difference in speed of Albon on new tyres at the end of the race shows what the performance differences were this week. He was 2 seconds faster than the majority of the mid field.

Next week's strategies are going to be very interesting. I think the track was nearly 50 degrees for FP2 and given the load on the tyres through the high speed twisty sections I would expect the tyres to degrade really quickly if that is the conditions for next week's race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In hindsight, Bottas would've won if he pitted for tyres at a time when he couldn't see clearly. He doesn't seem to have the clout to do anything different to win the race (In the same way Hamilton won at Silverstone last year). For rhe races he doesn't win, I thought that was one of his better races. Normally when he's already behind at the early stages, he drifts further and further back.

In hindsight, Bottas would've won if he pitted for tyres at a time when he couldn't see clearly. He doesn't seem to have the clout to do anything different to win the race (In the same way Hamilton won at Silverstone last year). For rhe races he doesn't win, I thought that was one of his better races. Normally when he's already behind at the early stages, he drifts further and further back.
If only that tire went a turn earlier, would have been a blessing in disguise, of course if max was ahead he wouldn't have pitted so it would have been max winning.

Onboard from VET at the end of the race and cool down lap. Few take aways:

1. His pit engineer couldn't even get his finishing position correct because....Ferrari
2. The fact he sits in silence while hovering over the radio button for nearly a minute just speaks louder than words.
3. "Radio Check" to force a response from VET :sweatsmile:

Just checked the tyre allocation for this weekend and didn't realise everyone gets the same allocation - 8 sets of soft, 3 medium, 2 hard.

As a result I don't expect many laps during FP1, 2 and 3 because the softs aren't going to last many laps and teams will want to keep mediums and hard tyres for qualifying and the race

Qualifying could be - Q1 (soft), Q2 (medium), Q3 (soft x 2) with a new set of mediums and hards kept for the race, which would means 4 sets of soft, one medium and one hard for the three free practice sessions. Teams that need to use multiple sets of soft tyres during Q1 an Q2 are going to have to plan their weekend very carefully.

Possible tyre use....

FP1 - cruise around on a set of hard tyres to determine how many laps you can get out of them (the previous hard was good for less than 40 laps). Can you get half race distance (26 laps) with the new hard tyre?)
FP2 - one set of mediums (how many laps for that?), plus some flying laps on a set of softs
FP3 - qually runs 3 sets of softs

My guess for the optimum race would be medium (11 laps), hard (26 laps), medium (15 laps).

I'm assuming the race is going to be hotter than last weekend and therefore the tyre won't last as long. Grosjean changed tyres after 36 laps, which included 2 safety cars on what will be this weekends hard tyres....

Onboard from VET at the end of the race and cool down lap. Few take aways:

1. His pit engineer couldn't even get his finishing position correct because....Ferrari
2. The fact he sits in silence while hovering over the radio button for nearly a minute just speaks louder than words.
3. "Radio Check" to force a response from VET :sweatsmile:

We can get this but where is Dan's overtake on Norris that gained him p4

Silverstone has added some concrete to the exit of Becketts/entry of Chapel where a bunch of drivers were going through the dirt and kicking it up into the faces of drivers behind them
Weird that they removed it originally, if they've just gone and returned it back because drivers kept running wide.

1596613133589.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back