2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

would probably never happen, but what if a driver for some reason was unable to start the first 10 races, the replacement driver came in and won all 10 races and was outperforming the #2 driver, the regular driver and putting the team in contention for a championship.

Watching AFL this year was more like watching the Hyundai Excel Cup.
Yeah.
2020 has a massive * against it.
Im sure the Tigers fans would argue differently, but I lost interest a quarter the way through when I understood this season was going to be massively compromised.
So hard to follow any sport when you know that there isn’t a level playing field.

would probably never happen, but what if a driver for some reason was unable to start the first 10 races, the replacement driver came in and won all 10 races and was outperforming the #2 driver, the regular driver and putting the team in contention for a championship.
Depends on the driver and the team.
If Lewis had a pre season crash and missed the first 10 races, then he would still have a seat at Mercedes when he returned.
Would the seat be the replacement drivers, who in your scenario was killing it, or would it be Bottas’s seat? I expect Bottas would be shown the door.
If Max had a crash and missed the first 10 races, and his replacement wins plenty, but the RB 2nd driver also won his fair share, then I would think Max might find himself driving for the secondary team.
Such is the difference in team management managing.

Depends on the driver and the team.
If Lewis had a pre season crash and missed the first 10 races, then he would still have a seat at Mercedes when he returned.
Would the seat be the replacement drivers, who in your scenario was killing it, or would it be Bottas’s seat? I expect Bottas would be shown the door.
If Max had a crash and missed the first 10 races, and his replacement wins plenty, but the RB 2nd driver also won his fair share, then I would think Max might find himself driving for the secondary team.
Such is the difference in team management views.
I guess I was thinking about a scenario for say Racing Point, or Mclaren where they weren't expected to be in the top 3. Say the first 4 races they were finishing 5-6. Replacement driver comes in, wins the next 10, #2 driver maintains their 5-6 position. How could the team justify NOT leaving the replacement driver in.

I guess I was thinking about a scenario for say Racing Point, or Mclaren where they weren't expected to be in the top 3. Say the first 4 races they were finishing 5-6. Replacement driver comes in, wins the next 10, #2 driver maintains their 5-6 position. How could the team justify NOT leaving the replacement driver in.
My scenario was a WC being out and having to return while his replacement was killing it.
I took the view that one team would certainly welcome him back, but as the replacement outshone the regular #2, then the #2 would be relegated.
While my second scenario of the #1 driver returning to a team that both drivers were successful in his absence showed a harder edge and kept both current successful paddlers.
I suppose I was pointing out how I thought RB would be far focused on success in the last few rounds compared to Mercedes who have the confidence to back their car over the driver.
RB have shown that they will chase success even if it means destroying a mans career.

Watching ‘96 Spanish GP.
Shummi giving a wet race masterclass.
Loving the pit stop, 4 tyres, FULL FUEL TOP UP, 7.2secs.
Slow by today’s standards. But how good was it watching a refuel?
I find it fascinating that F1 are looking at increasing rim size so that F1’s look more like street cars (relevance) , but refuse to bring back refuelling.
If the Tyres/wheels are looking at road car comparisons then why isn’t refuelling?
Every road car needs to refuel. Even Teslas!

Yeah.
2020 has a massive * against it.
Im sure the Tigers fans would argue differently, but I lost interest a quarter the way through when I understood this season was going to be massively compromised.
So hard to follow any sport when you know that there isn’t a level playing field.

A bit like the challenge rule that netted the Pies a couple of flags 90 odd years ago.

You play to the rules of the day. Collingwood fans will argue the legitimacy of those flags until they're blue in the face.

Last edited:
Wow. 50 years ago today Jochen Rindt was post-humously crowned champion.

Upon impact, a joint in the crash barrier parted, the suspension of the vehicle went under the barrier, and the car hit a stanchion head-on. The front end was destroyed. Rindt was in the habit of using only four points on the five-point harness then available and did not wear the crotch straps, as he wanted to be able to exit the car quickly in the event of fire. As a result, upon impact he slid under the belts, and the belts fatally slit open Rindt's throat.

Yikes

Upon impact, a joint in the crash barrier parted, the suspension of the vehicle went under the barrier, and the car hit a stanchion head-on. The front end was destroyed. Rindt was in the habit of using only four points on the five-point harness then available and did not wear the crotch straps, as he wanted to be able to exit the car quickly in the event of fire. As a result, upon impact he slid under the belts, and the belts fatally slit open Rindt's throat.

Yikes
Not sure I needed the details, but it's a reminder of the dangers of motorsport, especially back then.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking Racing Point ->Aston Martin is going to keep getting better. They wouldn't bring in Seb if they didn't know it. I really really hope Mercedes gets pegged back and we have a run with Mercedes, Aston Martin, Red Bull, and Mclaren with a competitive edge.

Just looking at the quali results, what happened to Stroll in Q2 to make him 0.7sec slower than his team mate?

o3prWfE.jpg

So what's everyones vibe with Redbull Albon Versus Perez?

A few weeks ago I was 90% certain Albon's seat was beyong saving.

It seems to have steadied a bit the past couple of races.

With only a few races left, is it now 50/50 and Albon's seat to lose? Given they've left it this late I'm thinking Albon might just hold his spot.
Surely Red Bull take Perez on as their 2nd driver as they need someone capable of mixing it with the best.

Makes it too easy for the Mercs to split strategies when they only need to worry about Max

Red Bull need 2 quality contending drivers

I'm thinking Racing Point ->Aston Martin is going to keep getting better. They wouldn't bring in Seb if they didn't know it. I really really hope Mercedes gets pegged back and we have a run with Mercedes, Aston Martin, Red Bull, and Mclaren with a competitive edge.
McLaren with Mercedes engines *should* take a meaningful step forward, considering the 2021 cars will be upgraded versions of the 2020 designs. However I don't see a shift in the balance of power until at least 2022, when the new rules kick in and we'll see who can exploit ground effect downforce to the fullest.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back