Preview 2020 Player Previews

Remove this Banner Ad

Casboult was our best and most consistent defender in 2019. I'm hoping I can say the same in 2020. There is a new breed of forwards that are the size of ruckman like Lynch and Brown. Casboult has the size and strength to play on them and it also means Jones can play a more natural game as an intercept defender.

we need to make a concerted push to get terry into the mainstream media - bloke's a natural - we badly need someone on panels, pods and papers to cut across all the peripheral crap with "yeah, but what about the blues?" .............

Setterfield is one player I have high hopes for as an inside bull with clean skills especially by hand and a hard tackler. In 2017 In the NEAFL he average 25 disposals, 4.7 clearances and 7.6 tackles these are the types of numbers I can see him getting to at AFL level but the big question is when.

I don’t know a lot about Owies, I don’t get to see the team practice or see any vfl games. So all I know is what I’ve read. I get the impression that Owies will most likely play as a forward at AFL level if he makes it but my under standing as a junior he played as an inside mid. Plus add to the fact that most AFL players with basketball back ground are good runners. Is there a chance we could see Owies as a midfielder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard is a good lockdown defender with a strong overhead mark and speed. He is 22yo, 197cm and 96kg, he is not a kid developing his game. He is ready for AFL footy. Depending where casboult is played this year Goddard should be first in if Jones or Weitering get injured. We the current state of our forward line and lack of tall, Goddard play a fair amount of he’s junior footy as a forward and with his speed of the mark and strong hand could be an option.

I like Cottrell story his grandfather played with Serge and not he is playing with Jack and Ben. I’m hoping he is more successful than his grandfather and plays more than 12 games. The question on Cottrell is where does he play at AFL? An endurance runner with solid skill. So either as a wingman or a flanker. Depending on injuries and form we could see Cottrell at AFL level.

O’Dwyer is an interesting player 192cm but only 82kg and for some reasons not a lot of people see a future for him. I’m different because he is a highly talented player with a great set of hands in the air and at ground level, he has great pace and agility and reads the game well. I think the problem is his body size is he a 3rd tall or is he a small forward? Most people se his high and go 3rd tall but I see him as a over sized small forward which in a team that has Harry, Charlie and Mitch as the 3 tall add Finbar as a small and you have a really interesting player to match up on.

Phillips Is a 3rd generation AFL/VFL footballer. Co-captain and leading goal kicker for Gippsland kicking 28 goals. Phillips brings X factor, leadership and natural goal sense. Watching him play reminds me of Matty Lappin, he just has a weird ability to make something out of nothing.

O’Dwyer is an interesting player 192cm but only 82kg and for some reasons not a lot of people see a future for him. I’m different because he is a highly talented player with a great set of hands in the air and at ground level, he has great pace and agility and reads the game well.
eh? Did you actually see him play last year?
Without wanting to pot the kid, he didn't take a single contested mark for the NB's in 2019, and he's as slow as a three toed sloth.
Obviously SOS saw something in him, but I'm still struggling to work out exactly what that is....I hope he proves me wrong and plays 200 games, brownlow medallist, premiership captain and all australian, but just can't see it.

New to our list Moore at 23yo only played 8 games for 5 goals. On paper doesn't look like a great addition but you can look at it as he spent the last four years developing in a system that won 2 of the last 3 flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back