Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropped into training on Monday. Very humid. I saw a half field game with full tackling. Very congested with players working hard on positioning. The coaches would simulate throw ups, throw ins etc. Knoll rucked against fox and looked lean. Very hard to see who was doing well as it was so congested.

After that drill most players went to the exercise area. Only about 14 remained. Was a mixed group including Mills, Parker, Foote, Wicks, Bell, Dawson, Hewett, Taylor, Blakey, Melican and Fox. No top ups involved.

These guys did a brutal exercise under the eye of Longmire. They were in two teams. They did a handball drill in the goal square. Blakey and Melican would sprint to the wing. On the whistle a coach would kick to blakey. The guys would have sprint to the contest with full tackling. On the whistle they would lie on their stomach. Next whistle they would sprint to the opposite wing where McVeigh would do a boundary throw in. Again full contest. On the whistle they would run to the boundary start line for a 200m sprint back to the goal square.

They did this drill about 5 or 6 times and were wrecked after it. I asked why these players were doing the drill and I was told they were the ones cleared for full intensity training.

Hey mate, don't take my word for it as I'm not a Sydney-sider but I have noticed (so far) that the Swans' training has always coincided with the training I am doing atm, which is Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and almost at the exact same time (about 9-10am AEST) Not sure how the long-weekend would've affected this though.

Thanks mate, much appreciated! I'll swing by on Friday and hope for the best.

Hey mate, don't take my word for it as I'm not a Sydney-sider but I have noticed (so far) that the Swans' training has always coincided with the training I am doing atm, which is Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and almost at the exact same time (about 9-10am AEST) Not sure how the long-weekend would've affected this though.
Training starts at 8am

On U27 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dropped into training on Monday. Very humid. I saw a half field game with full tackling. Very congested with players working hard on positioning. The coaches would simulate throw ups, throw ins etc. Knoll rucked against fox and looked lean. Very hard to see who was doing well as it was so congested.

After that drill most players went to the exercise area. Only about 14 remained. Was a mixed group including Mills, Parker, Foote, Wicks, Bell, Dawson, Hewett, Taylor, Blakey, Melican and Fox. No top ups involved.

These guys did a brutal exercise under the eye of Longmire. They were in two teams. They did a handball drill in the goal square. Blakey and Melican would sprint to the wing. On the whistle a coach would kick to blakey. The guys would have sprint to the contest with full tackling. On the whistle they would lie on their stomach. Next whistle they would sprint to the opposite wing where McVeigh would do a boundary throw in. Again full contest. On the whistle they would run to the boundary start line for a 200m sprint back to the goal square.

They did this drill about 5 or 6 times and were wrecked after it. I asked why these players were doing the drill and I was told they were the ones cleared for full intensity training.

Cheers for the update!

Doesn’t sound too good if only a third of our squad are cleared for the highest intensity training.

Apparently Ling training with main group today (albeit small main group). Was said he looked sharp and has a lovely left foot kick.

(From another forum)

Hopefully he can keep building.

I’m at the point now where I want that more for him personally than for the sake of the team. Deserves a fair crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jordan Foote and Daniel Robinson were honest. Also don’t see what others see re Sinclair’s work around the ground. Tries hard but is a liability in most passages he’s involved in. Neither are ideal but at least Naismith is decent in one role. Sinclair’s very ordinary in every role IMO.
I'd take Sinkers over everybody in the team if kicking for goal 50m out on the boundary line. He is such a beautiful straight kick.

How good would it be if Ling became this year’s Dawson?

#stilljanuary

Well based just on pick number (he was 14 I think) he should surpass many of the draftees. Swans usually put first rounders to test early. I’m tipping he hits the ground running and secures a spot on first team early in the season.

Only training

Gould no doubt being fast tracked or just fast tracked himself

looks ready to roll
giphy.gif

Training in that heat buggy me lol
I didn't make the game this morning. However I heard it was hot! The game went for 60 minutes at full intensity. I was also told that Gould ran out of gas and leaked a few goals to some of the quicker fitter players who burned him off. I think he will be a great player, but it sounds like he still has a way to go to run out a game. I also heard one of the academy kids kicked five goals which is awesome!

Well based just on pick number (he was 14 I think) he should surpass many of the draftees. Swans usually put first rounders to test early. I’m tipping he hits the ground running and secures a spot on first team early in the season.
Might find it hard to crack. Some decent players on HBF or wing which is his natural spot. Will need to tear it up in the NEAFL.

I didn't make the game this morning. However I heard it was hot! The game went for 60 minutes at full intensity. I was also told that Gould ran out of gas and leaked a few goals to some of the quicker fitter players who burned him off. I think he will be a great player, but it sounds like he still has a way to go to run out a game. I also heard one of the academy kids kicked five goals which is awesome!
Be interesting who fed the 5 goal kid.
If indeed Gould was gasping that suggests a Rd1 debut is unlikely.
The conditions would certainly favour the lighter players.

Be interesting who fed the 5 goal kid.
If indeed Gould was gasping that suggests a Rd1 debut is unlikely.
The conditions would certainly favour the lighter players.

Perhaps, but not necessarily. They might have put him on someone like Hayward to work him over. It really depends on the quality of the runner he was trying to keep up with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back