Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Wait, is there not a Winners & Losers thread yet? BigFooty has changed!

Or did I miss it?

This is pretty much it now.

I know lots of people hate the concept, but I think that you can definitely talk about winners and losers in terms of moves made, player types drafted etc. Harder to know who is going to actually be the better player.

My initial thoughts on “winners and losers”. This is based on the position each club was in this time yesterday, not accounting for the trade period.
  • Pies did really well. Didn’t blink on doing a bad trade with clubs who were potentially bidding on mcinnes before their picks. Did a couple of really good trades where they got some future picks, which made up for the trade of their future first which maybe wasn’t quite as good. I don’t think they could have done better really in the circumstances.
  • I loved the tigers trade to get geelong’s 2021 first rounder. That pick will be really valuable if next year’s draft proves to be stronger than this year.
  • I liked freo’s draft. Chapman didn’t fill a need at all, but I think it’s good they went best available. And they made sure they got ahead of academy bids.
  • I liked west coast’s draft, but I’m biased.
  • Nothing else jumps out as really good or really bad. I suppose time will tell on how good the players are.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Big fan of what the western teams accomplished this draft. Fremantle got some really great local kids and their two NGAs without compromising next year's draft. West Coast picked up some really good sliders.

Can't say I was a fan of Adelaide's first two picks, although that's not to say they were bad picks. Thought McDonald and Powell would have been better choices at each pick and not had flight risk attached either (as it was obvious they were prioritising local kids this year). Otherwise their next 3 picks were fantastic. Really good haul overall though.

Carlton did well with their picks to address needs.

Clubs like Bulldogs, Sydney and Port were basically guaranteed a good result so long as they didn't pass.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty happy with the Swans draft haul.

Would have preferred Phillips or DGB but McDonald has some serious upside potential. Campbell got bid on a little earlier than I would have liked but that was completely offset by Gulden getting bid on later than expected. Very happy to have Campbell and Gulden in the team.

Main disappointments, no inside midfielders and no rucks. Swans are terrible in those areas and we didn't really address it in this draft. Overall quite happy with the draft, but it could have been better.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm curious to know how Adelaide are rating their haul?

Happy with Thilthorpe?

Pedlar seemed like a huge reach when Bruhn, Chapman etc. were still on the board, although they very well could've done a Perkins in their interviews. Rowe surprised me a little bit too.

I guess my question is are you satisfied you got the best players for your side, or was it too heavily weighted to taking players out of SA?

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Hate to say it but Collingwood after their debacle has done very well last night!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would dispute that. Compare to the Tigers next year and they are similar picks, ask yourself what they gave up and what the Tigers gave up. Not even considering the difference in quality of the 2 drafts.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Happy with Thilthorpe?

Pedlar seemed like a huge reach when Bruhn, Chapman etc. were still on the board, although they very well could've done a Perkins in their interviews. Rowe surprised me a little bit too.

I guess my question is are you satisfied you got the best players for your side, or was it too heavily weighted to taking players out of SA?
Must be all the times you've seen Pedlar play that leads you to that decision?

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
I would dispute that. Compare to the Tigers next year and they are similar picks, ask yourself what they gave up and what the Tigers gave up. Not even considering the difference in quality of the 2 drafts.

wtf are you talking about? How are you comparing the Collingwood/Richmond draft periods?

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Geelong was an odd one. Trading out of what is considered a stronger draft to take a guy from nowhere that had played only 1 game this year. They traded very well though for where they are at in terms of premiership window
Geelong are pro's at fudging up their first pick then nailing everything else.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I’m confused. What’s your problem with what Collingwood did last night?

Westlo

All Australian
Mar 29, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Everton FC
I’m confused. What’s your problem with what Collingwood did last night?

Ned Guy's going to look pretty stupid if you guys * up and/or Daicos doesn't come on as he's suppose to.

But I guess getting 6 rookie contracts on the books with a lot of potential is pretty good for the salary cap, just don't mess it up again in 2-3 years time.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Must be all the times you've seen Pedlar play that leads you to that decision?

Alright genius, if I asked you pre-draft who you were going to take with your second pick, and gave you an opportunity to name 20 names, do you think you'd honestly name him? I don't think too many on BigFooty would.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Dogs and Swans did extremely well (of course). Outside of those two I really liked what North did. Phillips and Powell are going to be awesome. Collingwood had a brilliant haul but at an obviously ridiculous cost. Of the more speculative selections I think West Coast did well getting Winder late and Freo were smart in moving up for O’Driscoll.

I’m also incredibly pleased with Carlton’s haul. Durdin and Carroll in particular as late second rounders seems extremely astute. Hard to call anyone a loser at this stage.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dogs and Swans did extremely well (of course). Outside of those two I really liked what North did. Phillips and Powell are going to be awesome. Collingwood had a brilliant haul but at an obviously ridiculous cost. Of the more speculative selections I think West Coast did well getting Winder late and Freo were smart in moving up for O’Driscoll.

I’m also incredibly pleased with Carlton’s haul. Durdin and Carroll in particular as late second rounders seems extremely astute. Hard to call anyone a loser at this stage.

Happy for our haul to be labelled as having a ridiculous cost in that it essentially took a future first and the likes of Treloar and Stephenson...

However, our draft next year is currently looking fairly similar to the Bulldogs' last night. A pick very early and then nothing until maybe 50+.

As good as Daicos is said to be, he can hardly set ourselves up for the future with that. That's why I think we've essentially backed in our early talent ID and we've taken 2 year's worth of first and seconds in one hit.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
A few drafts I found interesting:

- Adelaide had a very Brisbane draft. Taking the players they know will stay. But also taking some old fashioned footballers. It's a little surprise they ship out a Crouch brother with their midfield criticised for being a bit one type and then in consecutive years at the good German kid Harry, Pedlar and Berry. 3 x solid body boys when the league seems to be shifting away from that.

- Richmond almost sat this draft out adding a ruck and a late academy match for Rioli. Brisbane kind of similar. Ruckman, athletic prospect and match for Coleman. Both teams likely to get value for their first round pick trades but they seem very content with their lists.

- I really like the Giants 3 picks but it's a bit let's sit regather and almost rebuild, I get the feeling they picked guys at least with Stone and Angwin who will be happy to stay. Again, another smart trade out, but it does seem like they aren't in a hurry. They have so much talent already it's not like they need kids to play but it helps if they do!

It seemed very much the Adel/Ess/Coll with a bit of help from Syd, North and GWS draft.

If I had to crown a winner I'd say Sydney because they got 2 in the top 5 and a very solid player late.

I don't think anyone stands out as a loser but I do wonder if Essendon got 3 cracks at the 'A grade' section of the draft but were boxed out from the A+ section. And similarly if Collingwood got to shop heavily in the B+ range. I just get the feeling if you told Essendon before the year they'd have 3 in the top 10 they'd be thinking they'd get a sure thing mid or a huge upside key foward and they've just fallen back from that a bit. Same with the Pies, 2 picks in the teens, I really like Macrae and Henry but I wonder if you'd be thinking a year out of the possibility of the upside of Reid or Chapman or the gun production of Powell at that kind of pick. Same thing goes for Melbourne with their picks, I like both players, but kind of thought someone from the rung above could slip through for one of the picks.

Wait, is there not a Winners & Losers thread yet? BigFooty has changed!

Or did I miss it?
It's infiltrated bigfooty the woke society we live in now...
Any opinion or debate against the norm will offend some touchy modern age male feminist,
that will use their new found social celebrity to attack any opinions that aren't theirs to highlight their your negative cause...

Remember their are no winners or losers of the draft and all clubs deserve a participation award..

Winners - All participants :whistle:

Smashed it - Sydney, Collingwood, Giants & North
Excellent - Carlton, Bulldogs, Fremantle, Eagles, Port, Hawks, Melbourne & Saints
Weird - Adelaide & Essendon
Meh - Brisbane, Richmond, Geelong & Suns

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC

Happy with Thilthorpe?

From where I sit there seemed to be quite a few bolters so I can only guess that due to limited exposure this year that clubs either had more exposure to certain players than other clubs via local scouts etc, or decided to draft on potential due to limited exposure.

I must say I was very surprised on Adelaide and GWS passing on Chapman as he seemed a walk up starter for the Crows and just the sort of player GWS need.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Happy for our haul to be labelled as having a ridiculous cost in that it essentially took a future first and the likes of Treloar and Stephenson...

However, our draft next year is currently looking fairly similar to the Bulldogs' last night. A pick very early and then nothing until maybe 50+.

As good as Daicos is said to be, he can hardly set ourselves up for the future with that. That's why I think we've essentially backed in our early talent ID and we've taken 2 year's worth of first and seconds in one hit.

I wouldn’t even be critical of trading the future first if you got a bit more value for it and whilst you also traded Treloar for unders he is somewhat replaceable. Stephenson is the head scratcher. If any of the 5 kids taken prove to be as talented as Stephenson you will have done okay.

In isolation you should be happy with the haul of kids. When we drafted 5 kids in 2015 I remember how chuffed I was and I think having the bulk of your talent drafted and growing together as opposed to spread out over 3-4 years is undervalued. Just gotta hope they are hits.

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
As much as I hate to say it, I think Essendon nailed the draft.

With Hately coming in and Parish, Langford and McGrath having heaps of scope for improvement, I think going big, mobile and skilled players was spot on.

Added to that, next year should be a ripper draft for mids, and with mids usually developing quicker than keys, getting the big guys first makes sense.

Back