Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dont have winners or losers but some teams had questionable choice in how they went about it.

Essendon not choosing a mid with any of their picks. While next year will have more mids to choose from they could at least chose 1 this draft or even pick up Kyle like they were going to to lure josh over at least.

GWS choice of players seem a bit of a flight risk all round.

Crows Idea to bid on JUH just so they can get Rowe before dogs.

Pies choice to trade their future 1st for 3 players after reef.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dont have winners or losers but some teams had questionable choice in how they went about it.

Essendon not choosing a mid with any of their picks. While next year will have more mids to choose from they could at least chose 1 this draft or even pick up Kyle like they were going to to lure josh over at least.

So Crows idea to knock out all of the Dog's points was questionable? Not a dogs fan by any chance are you?

You know if he wasn't worth it, the dogs didn't have to match it.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I remember when Melbourne won the 2007 draft with Cale Morton at 4, Grimes at 14 and Addam Maric at 21. Good times.
I miss the old days when you could rely on Melbourne stuffing up their draft, like 2008 taking the rip "snorter" Watts instead of Nic Nat and 2009 when they took Scully and Trengove at 1 & 2 but missed Martin at 3, then had a further three more busts inside the top 20. Ah, the dark days of the MFC.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Winner. North Melbourne comfortably the winner.

Second surprised to be saying this but Collingwood but not from their design! I thought a bid for McInnes came very late and it allowed them two really good prospects before that. Picked up some really good players after that as well.

Loser.

I hate saying who are the losers but GWS seemed to get every pick wrong. So easily GWS.
Not sure you are on the mark with GWS.

Bruhn will be a super player, lots of leadership, hardly played in 2 years and was always tipped for top 10-15.

Stone also has huge upside. Angwin I don't know much about, and the other two are late.

I think Phillips and Powell were probably taken earlier than most expected by North.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Crows idea to knock out all of the Dog's points was questionable? Not a dogs fan by any chance are you?

You know if he wasn't worth it, the dogs didn't have to match it.
Dogs whinging about burning six junk picks to get the clear best player in the draft that other than the NGA rort rightly should have been ours! Jog on

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
GWS usually target personalities moreso than pure footballing skill. Doubt anybody had Taranto top 2 aside from GWS in his draft year, but his workrate and adaptability made him a prime candidate to bring into the club. Stone and Angwin went earlier than expected, but they're the type of guys who will stick around and will get the very best out of themselves, however they pan out.

Also happy to bring in guys who are shown to be below AFL standard, but prop up their reserves and are happy to stick around on minimum pay for a year or 2 eg Sheridan, Buckley.

I can see they've also re-rookied Sam Reid? That must be the 3rd or 4th time they've listed him.

Last edited:

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure you are on the mark with GWS.

Bruhn will be a super player, lots of leadership, hardly played in 2 years and was always tipped for top 10-15.

Stone also has huge upside. Angwin I don't know much about, and the other two are late.

I think Phillips and Powell were probably taken earlier than most expected by North.

Bruhn will be a super player? If that's what you think. I think he's a very speculative prospect. He also didn't seem to happy that GWS selected him, so there's that as well.

Angwin is very lightweight and I don't mean just size wise but in terms of aggression and competitiveness.

Fleeton looked okay last year but he doesn't stand out in any particular category.

Ironically their best pick might me their last in Wehr who's a very classy player.

Conor Stone I don't rate. Had very good service last year and really didn't take his opportunities.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just once I'd like to see something like "Plays like David McKay" or similar.
Wouldn't that get the fans salivating as your team called his name...

Shifter what can you tell us about him?

Nice kid, professional but utter potato that will somehow claw his way to 200 games at the bewilderment of the fanbase.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
So many experts on the most uncertain draft in history. And this Daicos kid would want to live up to wraps, did he actually play any footy this year. Seen so many top rated 17yo's slide it's not funny. Remember when Ben Silvagni was gonna be the answer to Carlton's fwd line? LOL.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Winner. North Melbourne comfortably the winner.

Second surprised to be saying this but Collingwood but not from their design! I thought a bid for McInnes came very late and it allowed them two really good prospects before that. Picked up some really good players after that as well.

Loser.

I hate saying who are the losers but GWS seemed to get every pick wrong. So easily GWS.
The first thing you have gotten correct in years.

Well done Roby, you deserve a pat on the back for such good work.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I miss the old days when you could rely on Melbourne stuffing up their draft, like 2008 taking the rip "snorter" Watts instead of Nic Nat and 2009 when they took Scully and Trengove at 1 & 2 but missed Martin at 3, then had a further three more busts inside the top 20. Ah, the dark days of the MFC.
They would have destroyed Nic Nat.

Culture is important in developing the kids, they had none.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
fu** that is frightening!
Not being a prick but it must be nice after years of mediocrity to then become an absolute powerhouse and dynasty club.
Now have the chance to keep it going for years yet just as you'll probably need a little injection of young class.

As I said...Frightening!
I think the club has been planning this well, We will have 4-5 integral players coming to an end in the next 2 years like Astbury,Grimes,Houli,Jack and need to plan to replace and i think we already have started 2 years ago with players like Balta,Bolton,Baker coming along this year and hopefully Ross,RCD,Dow,CCJ,Stack,Ralph-smith,Naish making an impact in 2021.

having 6 picks inside 50 in a super deep draft is extremely handy and if we do our scouting well we could effectively replace the above named champs in 1 year and stay competitive for a few years to come.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
GWS Giants were the big loser for me their first five picks were originally before bids 10, 13, 15, 20 & 26 they actually selected their first five players at the picks 12, 15, 18, 58 & 59 even though they did some deals and picked up future picks. There was some strange pick logic from a few teams and some quality players left on the table, i was happiest for Zane Trew because i thought what Peter Sumich said went too far and it was even sweeter when West Coast were the team to land him in the rookie after he was called a bit sookie. (Could not resist the rhyme)

Do you honestly believe that that was not the plan at the end !!

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
A few people dissing the bombers picks but I like the all in aspect of it , if they can get 1 of the 2m talls firing at each end and Perkins and Caldwell work out they will be back in business in record time

If not oh well , settle into a longer term build up

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Carl

All Australian
Dec 26, 2000
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
So many experts on the most uncertain draft in history. And this Daicos kid would want to live up to wraps, did he actually play any footy this year. Seen so many top rated 17yo's slide it's not funny. Remember when Ben Silvagni was gonna be the answer to Carlton's fwd line? LOL.
Ben Silvagni was recruited has a defender. I don't think any Carlton fan was expecting much from a pick 70. He only got recruited because of his name.

If by some miracle he was a forward why would a Carlton fan 2 years ago think he would get a game before McKay or Curnow? We even recruited McGovern the same year. The last thing on a Carlton fans mind was Ben Silvagni is going to be a forward.

But it's a cool story you made up.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some interesting takes on who "won".

Richmond supporters pointing to their pairs of 2021 picks in each round as a big win but they are all likely to be at the end of rounds, not exactly a bag full of blue chips.

Collingwood took a stack of players in this draft, but if Daicos is as good as touted, at this stage they don't even have the points to match pick 3 without a deficit.

Essendon supporters "loading up" on mids next year, only have their first rounder and next pick way out in the 40s, not likely to be "loading up" and will burn picks if they try again for Dunkley

So too early to call winners, lists are built over several drafts and trade periods, not just one.

Whilst we don't have enough points to match Pick 3, we literally have enough to match Pick 4 and onwards.

If we get towards or to draft night itself and Daicos is as sure a thing as JUH was for pick 1-3, we can simply A) trade in a 2022 pick for something in 2021, or trade a fringe player for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

It's not really a big deal for us at the moment. We have essentially taken two year's worth of picks in one draft.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Ben Silvagni was recruited has a defender. I don't think any Carlton fan was expecting much from a pick 70. He only got recruited because of his name.

If by some miracle he was a forward why would a Carlton fan 2 years ago think he would get a game before McKay or Curnow? We even recruited McGovern the same year. The last thing on a Carlton fans mind was Ben Silvagni is going to be a forward.

But it's a cool story you made up.

More referring to how highly he was rated as a 15/16 year old when he did play mostly as a forward.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

we got Caldwell via trade, we got Perkins who will play mid/forward and we have to ensure there’s a slot for your boy Dunkley next year?

essendon also have a chance to secure a mid via SPP and possibly mid season draft but I think the running mid defender is a more pressing need. Disappointed we missed on Walker more than anything.

Please note as a true passionate Essendon supporter I’m also a realist, I’m not expecting our draft haul to push us deep into September next year, we all know KPP take a while to develop. But what we’ve drafted is what we required in our quest to future success.

I don’t see Cox as a KPD, I see him more of a Nick Blakey utility type.

Last edited:

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wouldn’t even be critical of trading the future first if you got a bit more value for it and whilst you also traded Treloar for unders he is somewhat replaceable. Stephenson is the head scratcher. If any of the 5 kids taken prove to be as talented as Stephenson you will have done okay.

In isolation you should be happy with the haul of kids. When we drafted 5 kids in 2015 I remember how chuffed I was and I think having the bulk of your talent drafted and growing together as opposed to spread out over 3-4 years is undervalued. Just gotta hope they are hits.

Not trying to hate on the bloke as I said it many times when he was with us, and I’ll say it again now... I have never seen such a timid player as Stephenson in my whole time watching the game.

He made Fasolo look like a defensive beast.

There’s no excusing the ridiculous contract he was given on the back of the gambling fiasco, but I really think the club was over trying to get him to do things he will never be capable of doing.

He was seriously lucky to get the games he did this year.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ned Guy's going to look pretty stupid if you guys fu** up and/or Daicos doesn't come on as he's suppose to

But I guess getting 6 rookie contracts on the books with a lot of potential is pretty good for the salary cap, just don't mess it up again in 2-3 years time.

Daicos doesn’t come on as he is supposed to? 🤔

What more can he do than out perform the most talented juniors two years older than him?

Essendon supporters "loading up" on mids next year, only have their first rounder and next pick way out in the 40s, not likely to be "loading up" and will burn picks if they try again for Dunkley
We might get Dunkley but at this stage it's far too early to tell. Everyone knows he's potentially gettable now so there'll be a queue to get him out of the Dogs next October, and the Dogs will spend all year trying to convince him that he doesn't actually want to leave anyway.

Failing that, we go to the draft. And if that doesn't make sense to you it's because you're missing a couple of crucial pieces of information:
  1. There's a distinct possibility of band 1 compensation for Merrett (if he leaves, and if we don't match), which a few people are probably aware of at this point. Collingwood for one seems to be dreaming of RFAs.
  2. We have a couple of father-sons coming through in 2022 and will probably trade out of that draft, and therefore trade into 2021 instead.
  3. Least crucially, we have a heap of players out of contract in 2021. Depending on how things work out one or more of them may be encouraged to seek opportunities elsewhere (which typically also yields picks).
One way or the other, we should be able to afford mids next year.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We might get Dunkley but at this stage it's far too early to tell. Everyone knows he's potentially gettable now so there'll be a queue to get him out of the Dogs next October, and the Dogs will spend all year trying to convince him that he doesn't actually want to leave anyway.

Failing that, we go to the draft. And if that doesn't make sense to you it's because you're missing a couple of crucial pieces of information:
  1. There's a distinct possibility of band 1 compensation for Merrett (if he leaves, and if we don't match), which a few people are probably aware of at this point. Collingwood for one seems to be dreaming of RFAs.
  2. We have a couple of father-sons coming through in 2022 and will probably trade out of that draft, and therefore trade into 2021 instead.
  3. Least crucially, we have a heap of players out of contract in 2021. Depending on how things work out one or more of them may be encouraged to seek opportunities elsewhere (which typically also yields picks).
One way or the other, we should be able to afford mids next year.
Lore I wouldn’t be banking on first round compensation next year. After the cluster of this year, I expect the league to change their rules to not implicate the draft as heavily.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Not trying to hate on the bloke as I said it many times when he was with us, and I’ll say it again now... I have never seen such a timid player as Stephenson in my whole time watching the game.

He made Fasolo look like a defensive beast.

There’s no excusing the ridiculous contract he was given on the back of the gambling fiasco, but I really think the club was over trying to get him to do things he will never be capable of doing.

He was seriously lucky to get the games he did this year.

Kicked 38 goals in his first year including 2 in as many minutes on grand final day. I reckon Bucks tried to turn him into something he is not this year. North will leave him up forward and he’ll have a great career IMO.

Back