Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Lore I wouldn’t be banking on first round compensation next year. After the cluster of this year, I expect the league to change their rules to not implicate the draft as heavily.
If they changed the rules we'd definitely match. I'm not banking on it particularly anyway, I'd rather keep him ultimately. I'm just saying there's multiple ways that we could end up acquiring a pick between 5 and 40 next year, and it seems more likely than not that at least one of those things will occur.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kicked 38 goals in his first year including 2 in as many minutes on grand final day. I reckon Bucks tried to turn him into something he is not this year. North will leave him up forward and he’ll have a great career IMO.

The days of complete offence without the application of any defensive pressure have gone.

Otherwise guys like Fasolo, Dan Menzel etc wouldn’t have been delisted...

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Whilst we don't have enough points to match Pick 3, we literally have enough to match Pick 4 and onwards.

If we get towards or to draft night itself and Daicos is as sure a thing as JUH was for pick 1-3, we can simply A) trade in a 2022 pick for something in 2021, or trade a fringe player for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

It's not really a big deal for us at the moment. We have essentially taken two year's worth of picks in one draft.
Or another option..trade down your 2021 picks for lower picks but more points. Thete are lots of ways. But in reality there are some seriously talented mids next year and there is every chance daicos may be further down the order

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If they changed the rules we'd definitely match. I'm not banking on it particularly anyway, I'd rather keep him ultimately. I'm just saying there's multiple ways that we could end up acquiring a pick between 5 and 40 next year, and it seems more likely than not that at least one of those things will occur.

I suppose this is one of the problems with the current rules. The FA rules were brought in to provide players the ability to move more freely, whilst not destroying the club that is being left.

It has morphed into clubs that have players wanting to leave, leaveraging the system to fast track their rebuilds. Brad Crouch Pick 2...

I digress, but my point is that I expect them to address that avenue to getting additional picks.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
A lot of Bulldog fans were hoping for a small quick pressure forward, preferably an indigenous kid to pair with Marra but really Marra is a rolled gold gift. Dominic Bedendo has the second best name in the draft (a lot of us wanted Phoenix Spicer, damn you North).

Ha everybody seems to have a different opinion on this!

Ugle-Hagen
DBG
Phoenix Spicer
Isiah Winder
Bedendo

Probably more I'm forgetting too.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I suppose this is one of the problems with the current rules. The FA rules were brought in to provide players the ability to move more freely, whilst not destroying the club that is being left.

It has morphed into clubs that have players wanting to leave, leaveraging the system to fast track their rebuilds. Brad Crouch Pick 2...

I digress, but my point is that I expect them to address that avenue to getting additional picks.
Getting rid of both matching and 1st round compensation is the obvious place to start.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
38 goals in your first year isnt something to sneeze at.

Depends what you value. Daniel Menzel kicked 32 in his last year at Geelong and then got delisted.

There was plenty of negative media coverage and commentary about the same issues with Jaidyn through the year.

I just find it funny that the trade occurred and people have miraculously forgotten about all that.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Ben Silvagni was recruited has a defender. I don't think any Carlton fan was expecting much from a pick 70. He only got recruited because of his name.

If by some miracle he was a forward why would a Carlton fan 2 years ago think he would get a game before McKay or Curnow? We even recruited McGovern the same year. The last thing on a Carlton fans mind was Ben Silvagni is going to be a forward.

But it's a cool story you made up.

A quick search of the Peter Dean academy thread will show fans thought 16 yo Ben would be a first round pick so the club should trade out of the first Rd to get him cheap. He also played many games as a fwd at U/18 level, it wasn't until people actually watched him play they realised he was massively over rated.

Similar story Id like to know who has actually seen this Daicos kid play considering there was no football this year?

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Depends what you value. Daniel Menzel kicked 32 in his last year at Geelong and then got delisted.

There was plenty of negative media coverage and commentary about the same issues with Jaidyn through the year.

I just find it funny that the trade occurred and people have miraculously forgotten about all that.

He had a very bad year. That’s obvious.

But there weren’t many complaints about him in his first 2 years.

Let’s be honest he’s never going to be a tackling, pressuring powerhouse, but.....

He averages 2.4 tackles and 1.1 one percenters across his short career. Compared to his draft class

Cam Rayner = 2.5 and 0.9
Gyran Miers = 1.8 and 0.5
Liam Ryan = 2.0 and 1.1

The best small forwards in the game

Michael Walters = 2.8 tackles, no 1 % stats
Charlie Cameron = 3.1 tackles and 0.9 1%s
Eddie Betts = 3.1 tackles, no 1 % stats
Tom Papley = 3.1 tackles, 1.0 1%s

And Collingwood small forwards

Jamie Elliot = 3 tackles and 1.3 1%s
Will Hoskin-Elliot = 2 tackles and 1.5 1%s

So all in all his stats alone paint a picture of someone comparable with others for his position.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the future.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He had a very bad year. That’s obvious.

But there weren’t many complaints about him in his first 2 years.

Let’s be honest he’s never going to be a tackling, pressuring powerhouse, but.....

He averages 2.4 tackles and 1.1 one percenters across his short career. Compared to his draft class

Cam Rayner = 2.5 and 0.9
Gyran Miers = 1.8 and 0.5
Liam Ryan = 2.0 and 1.1

The best small forwards in the game

Michael Walters = 2.8 tackles, no 1 % stats
Charlie Cameron = 3.1 tackles and 0.9 1%s
Eddie Betts = 3.1 tackles, no 1 % stats
Tom Papley = 3.1 tackles, 1.0 1%s

And Collingwood small forwards

Jamie Elliot = 3 tackles and 1.3 1%s
Will Hoskin-Elliot = 2 tackles and 1.5 1%s

So all in all his stats alone paint a picture of someone comparable with others for his position.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the future.
Forget tackles and one percenters, just go straight to pressure acts, the stat they keep for this exact reason.

He had 11.1 per game this year, 98th in the comp amongst forwards (that does include a lot of non regular players).

His career average is 13.5 which is 86th and sandwiched between Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli.

Overall I'd say he's solid enough as a pressure player and I'd expect if the rest of his game bounced back he'd have no issue with that part of his game. Easily the bigger concern was he looked like he lost the desire for the contest and was just plain miserable on the field this year. A fresh start will help especially if he has a big preseason but it's mostly between the ears and not any footy attribute.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forget tackles and one percenters, just go straight to pressure acts, the stat they keep for this exact reason.

He had 11.1 per game this year, 98th in the comp amongst forwards (that does include a lot of non regular players).

His career average is 13.5 which is 86th and sandwiched between Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli.

Overall I'd say he's solid enough as a pressure player and I'd expect if the rest of his game bounced back he'd have no issue with that part of his game. Easily the bigger concern was he looked like he lost the desire for the contest and was just plain miserable on the field this year. A fresh start will help especially if he has a big preseason but it's mostly between the ears and not any footy attribute.

Totally agree.

I think he’s got by on his extreme talent without the hard work. Maybe it changes maybe it doesn’t.

But I both think and hope this was a wake up call that propels him forward

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Getting rid of both matching and 1st round compensation is the obvious place to start.
Nah, I think they both have a place but definitely need to be re-jigged. Matching restricted FA offers is a common practice in sports with FA systems.

I like what the MLB use (if they haven't changed it in the last couple of years), where the team that signs an FA over $x loses their first round draft pick and the team that loses the restricted free agent then receives a pick in a supplementary round at the end of the first round. I'd like to see somethign like that in the AFL. Then picks aren't created out of nowhere, which in the current system is something that seriously disadvantages other teams that have nothign to do with the deal. Other teams shouldn't be punished because one team signs a free agent.

EDIT: You could scale it for each round too. Say, for example, a team that signs a restricted FA over 700k loses their first round pick, and the team that loses the restricted FA gets a pick in the supplementary round. A team that signs an FA for between 500k-700k loses their 2nd pick and the team that loses the FA gets a pick in a supplementary round after the 2nd round, etc. It's a system that's so much fairer on every club.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Totally agree.

I think he’s got by on his extreme talent without the hard work. Maybe it changes maybe it doesn’t.

But I both think and hope this was a wake up call that propels him forward

For his sake I hope so.

I think, salary cap issues aside, the Pies had determined the change wasn’t going to happen there.

Good luck to him.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Theyve already done that though with the changes to the NGA bidding, which was the major impact in this years draft.

NGA is a seperate issue.

Both NGA & Compo need to be removed from the first round to not compromise the draft. If the AFL have any common sense, they both will be starting next year.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
NGA is a seperate issue.

Both NGA & Compo need to be removed from the first round to not compromise the draft. If the AFL have any common sense, they both will be starting next year.

There’s nothing wrong with NGA players being picked up early. I’d just like to see clubs pay fair value for their players. No 20% discount and needing to use a pick in the bidded round would go a long way.

For example the Dogs would have needed 3000 points for JUH and a pick 18 (985 points) at minimum. This combined with the picks/list spots rule would solve it IMO.

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The club that had the most first round picks won the draft.

I haven't seen any of the draftees but I recognise the most names in this club's bunch from the phantoms, so they are my 2nd choice.

This club took a player in the 50s that was tipped in most phantoms' 1st round so I'll put them 3rd.

I'll mention my club here, comment on why each and every one of our selections is a great choice - especially those that are unknown, seem surprise picks, or have been previously criticised in the thread, to beat them up but also show I'm not biased. I mean I didn't include us in the top 3 so how could I be? I’ll point out how far our selections slid, that they probably would have gone 1st round next year / or if they weren’t injured. If it seems a bit of a surprise choice because they weren’t included in many phantoms I’ll mention why they should have gone much earlier, or use the opinion of their junior coach to help demonstrate how elite they could be. I haven’t heard of them either but I have watched the highlights video now that’s been posted on my club’s website. I'll also include players brought in over the trade period to support how good our draft was as well.

This club that took the first round player that I wanted (after watching their 3 minute youtube highlights video) so they go 5th.

This club took the most selections so they are 6th.

I don't recognise many names in this club's pool, or they have taken a smoky, or they have overreached according to the phantoms, or they don't match the BigFooty groupthink matrix, so they are the losers.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Must be all the times you've seen Pedlar play that leads you to that decision?

I liked the look of Pedlar. A Beau Waters lefty with a hard edge. Would not have been unhappy trading a future pick to get him.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We might get Dunkley but at this stage it's far too early to tell. Everyone knows he's potentially gettable now so there'll be a queue to get him out of the Dogs next October, and the Dogs will spend all year trying to convince him that he doesn't actually want to leave anyway.

Failing that, we go to the draft. And if that doesn't make sense to you it's because you're missing a couple of crucial pieces of information:
  1. There's a distinct possibility of band 1 compensation for Merrett (if he leaves, and if we don't match), which a few people are probably aware of at this point. Collingwood for one seems to be dreaming of RFAs.
  2. We have a couple of father-sons coming through in 2022 and will probably trade out of that draft, and therefore trade into 2021 instead.
  3. Least crucially, we have a heap of players out of contract in 2021. Depending on how things work out one or more of them may be encouraged to seek opportunities elsewhere (which typically also yields picks).
One way or the other, we should be able to afford mids next year.
You ain’t getting Dunkley

You burnt the Dunkley family and Dad is mighty pissed off, not only could you not follow through on the promise to Josh you f...Ed Kyle over as well.

Dunkley may well be traded next year but it won’t be to the bombers

You ain’t getting Dunkley

You burnt the Dunkley family and Dad is mighty pissed off, not only could you not follow through on the promise to Josh you f...Ed Kyle over as well.

Dunkley may well be traded next year but it won’t be to the bombers
k

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
M
There’s nothing wrong with NGA players being picked up early. I’d just like to see clubs pay fair value for their players. No 20% discount and needing to use a pick in the bidded round would go a long way.

For example the Dogs would have needed 3000 points for JUH and a pick 18 (985 points) at minimum. This combined with the picks/list spots rule would solve it IMO.

This is a much better solution. The way it is under the new rules will encourage teams to get their NGA prospects to tank

Back