News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not specifically about the Saints but the AFL site has been given an update. Every club’s site has also been given an update (the same look and feel). Have a look at saints.com.au. The team list page looks much better too.

Just off the subject, is Gil McL an alcoholic or struggling with addiction to something? Anytime I've even seen or heard him he sounded tipsy, and check out the photo of him in that 7news article. His left side is fine, but his right side; hide all sharp objects.

My wife has friend who is in his social set. A few of them might be a bit overly fond of the nose beers from some reports I have heard, not sure about Gil though.

paywalled
Bradley Hill on his road trip to Melbourne and being reunited with family and friends at St Kilda
It was a long and arduous journey for Bradley Hill across the Nullabor but he’s loving life at the Saints and has been reunited with friends and even has a family connection in the red, white and black.

Lauren Wood, Sunday Herald Sun
Subscriber only

December 8, 2019 7:00am

The journey took exactly 36 hours.

Three thousand, four hundred and twenty-one kilometres.

Two mates, a van, a French Bulldog named Cooper and a Great Dane named Harry.

It sounds like something out of a comedy – a couple of blokes and the unlikeliest of pooch pals hitting the road, stopping only for toilet breaks and to avoid the ‘roos as they crossed the Nullabor with a new footy home awaiting on the other side.

For new Saint Bradley Hill and his co-pilot Aidan, it was a test of mettle at the wheel that would easily test any friendship.

“It was awesome. We’d stop every three or four hours just to go to the toilet, and take the dogs for a little walk,” Hill recalled.

“We just kept driving. We stopped at a caravan park every night, because you sort of can’t drive after 5pm, because you get lots of kangaroos and whatnot. We’d drive about 10 hours a day and then park up, make dinner and go to sleep and hit the road early in the morning and go again.

“We actually had one day when we were going through Adelaide – from the time we left to the time we stopped it was 15 hours. We just tried to get here as quickly as possible.

“We didn’t (kill each other). It was good, actually. We were either driving or sleeping. There was probably a few silly chats and talking a bit of rubbish.”

Oh, and Saints dietitian Alison Miles – if you’re reading this, look away now.

Devoid of options on the lengthy journey from Perth to Melbourne, roadhouses were often the boys’ – and the dogs’ – only option, meaning a few dim sims and chocolate milks were consumed along the way.

“If we saw a Macca’s, it was a massive treat,” Hill laughed.

The speedster has taken the long road to Moorabbin. From Perth to Hawthorn – where he played 95 games including three premierships – he was traded to Fremantle at the end of 2016 to play alongside brother Stephen.

That’s 6800-odd kilometres covered before this latest trip alone.

He played 54 games in purple with only 26 of those with his sibling, as Stephen battled injury.

At the end of the 2019 season, Hill requested a move back to Melbourne.

He had moved for family, having dreamed as a kid of playing AFL with his brother, but he and girlfriend Samantha – who hails from Berwick – have plans to settle in Melbourne, hopefully on the Mornington Peninsula.

“I think my brother’s going pretty well now – I might have been the bad luck for him,” Hill joked.

There were a few familiar faces waiting for Hill after his lengthy journey – his former midfield coach turned new Saints senior coach Brett Ratten and the familiar sledges of former teammate Jarryd Roughead, who now works in a wide-ranging list, leadership and match-day role at the club.

Second cousin Paddy Ryder was also traded to the Saints from Port Adelaide.

That helped to further ease the move.

“It was sort of easy, coming into a club where the senior coach you had coach you for three years at Hawthorn as a midfield coach. That made it really easy,” he said.

“Having Roughy here as well … he can get a little bit annoying at times, but it’s good having him here. He sledges everyone.”

Hill played under Ratten’s watchful eye in Hawthorn’s three-peat, and while he is only a few weeks into life under the now-senior coach, he said that Ratten “hasn’t changed at all”.

“That’s the good thing actually,” he said.

“His personality and the relationships he builds with players – that’s why everyone loves him so much. You can have those honest conversations with him. He can have a joke all the time, but when you have to get to work, he’ll be serious. It’s awesome having him.”

Ryder – who is five years older than Hill, at 31 – and Hill’s grandmothers were sisters, with the family living close by just north of Joondalup, north of Perth, when Hill was a kid.

“I grew up with Paddy’s family, really,” Hill said.

“The first time I came to Melbourne, I was 15 and stayed at Paddy’s house. I came with his younger brother.

“When I was about 13, his brother lived around the corner from me, so I pretty much lived with them for a long time. We’re so close. There’s five brothers, and three of them a similar age to me. They probably got annoyed at me for always staying around there. We’re second cousins, so it’s awesome having him around.”

When he was drafted to Hawthorn, Hill admits he would spend most weekends at Ryder’s place, and took the opportunity to get in his ear in the recent trade period to ensure a family reunion at Moorabbin.

Soon after the deals were done, Hill didn’t waste time in hitting the phone to sort living arrangements on his arrival, quickly organising for new teammate Ben Long to move into he and girlfriend Sam’s Bentleigh East home.

The pair have known each other for years, through Hill’s former Hawthorn teammate Cyril Rioli, which he said “made it pretty easy”.

“He was living by himself when we got the deal done, so I told him just to come and move in with me. We were both talking and I said ‘if you want to move in, you’re more than welcome’,” he said.

“He’s actually good – he’s clean, which is a good thing. That makes it easy. He’s been awesome. It’s only been a few weeks and I’m not annoyed with him yet.”

Hill’s bubbly and infectious personality almost matches his playing style.

He concedes “people feel pretty comfortable around me right away” and says he generally fits in quickly.

But football wasn’t always his fit.

He is eyeing a career in helping indigenous youth once his career ends, admitting there was once a time where the “right path” might have eluded him.

“I want to be a role model for young indigenous kids and help them try and get on the right path,” Hill said.

“We know sometimes it can be a struggle. That’s something I enjoy and I want to do something where I can help people and I’m enjoying what I’m doing.

“Definitely (there was a time where things could have been different). Even as a youngster, I wasn’t really into my footy as much as Stephen. I played at West Perth when I was 18, but other than that I didn’t play any development squads or those sort of things.

“I did probably hang around the wrong people for a little bit, and then I could have easily gone down the wrong path. I ended up pulling my head in when I was about 16, which was a good thing. I’ve seen a lot of people go down the wrong path, too, so that’s something I’m passionate about.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thanks for that . I had not seen it.

that really sad and uplifting at the same time.
I just caught his last couple of yrs as a player .
But I always remember him being so positive and a great ambassador for our club over many decades as a fiercely loyal supporter.
Cowboy is a huge part of our clubs DNA.
Great to see him being shown the respect and love he thoroughly deserves.
His 5 goals in that 66 GF were a huge influence on us winning.

Last edited:

So.....Jon Ralph just tweeted this. Wasn't he someone who 5 min ago said Jack Steven wasn't worth a high draft pick?
I have moved on honest.........( I honestly thought it was ok for Jack to move on....but thought a better pick should come our way.)

'In five of the past eight years Jack Steven has more than 13 goals and more than 400 possessions. Plus four best and fairest awards. And isn’t 30. He might not be Tim Kelly but there is an argument he can break as many games open at his best'
Quote Tweet

Superfooty
· 24m
Newly re-signed Cat Tom Atkins says the four-time best-and-fairest winner has already made a seamless transition at the Cattery

@RalphyHeraldSun https://bit.ly/35zVtL6

Anyone read what Newnes said in the Sun newspaper today

He was a part of the furniture at St Kilda, but Jack Newnes is relishing a new lease of life at Carlton. He reveals why he rejected a new Saints contract and what has shocked him at the Blues.
Jack Newnes says he’s as fit as he’s ever been.
Don’t spit out your Cornflakes — he’s not trotting out that tired pre-season cliche.
Rather, Newnes is referring to his mental state, six weeks after leaving St Kilda for Carlton.
He acknowledges everyone says the same thing, but for the pacy winger it’s the truth.

The 26-year-old had crafted an impressive resume at the Saints. Life member, former leadership group member and equal club record holder for consecutive games (123) in a 155-game, eight-year stint.
Jack Newnes is relishing his time in the Navy Blue.
But as Newnes explains to the Herald Sun, he was also desperate for change.
Ever since Newnes arrived at Carlton as a delisted free agent, you can’t wipe the smile off his face.
“I’m loving it, mate,” Newnes says.
“I feel a million bucks. I’m at ground zero again and I’m loving that feeling. I just want to throw myself into everything.”

Newnes’ is a voice laced with excitement, yet tinged with relief.

He is determined not to rubbish his old club, declaring that there were a “number of factors” behind his desire to turn down a contract offer and quit the Saints.
But he does admit the role change from halfback/wing to defensive forward was a factor.
“I was keen to do anything for the team, whether it be forward or as a defensive forward, but ideally that’s not where I wanted to be playing my footy (long term),” he said.
“When things aren’t going great and the team isn’t winning, there’s a lot of pressure and you get thrown around position-wise and things change.
“During the year — probably the last couple of years — my footy hasn’t been to the sort of standard I have wanted. There’s reasons for that.”

Newnes described his relationship with former coach Alan Richardson as “good” and said the arrival of Bradley Hill and Zak Jones among St Kilda’s huge trade haul played only a small part.

“It’s never been a thing of mine to worry about who is coming in. You always back yourself and get to work over the pre-season and earn your spot, which I’m trying to do here,” he said.
“But I guess when you hear things might be going that way (in the trade period) and you finish the year forward as a defensive forward … I had a meeting with the club towards the end of the year and there were probably things mentioned in that meeting where I thought, ‘Well, it’s not for me here’.
“I won’t go into it too far, but I’m here now.”

As Newnes was falling out of love with St Kilda, Carlton caught his eye.
The two clubs clashed for the second time in Round 22, with the Blues making it six wins from 10 games under coach David Teague in front of 51,786.
“It wasn’t a huge crowd, but the noise and the way the Blues supporters got behind the boys was pretty special,” he said.
Jack Newnes holds record for the most consecutive games played at the Saints.
“Stuff like that resonated with me. I know it’s a massive club, the supporter base is unbelievable and it’s got a great history.”
Newnes sat down with Carlton — coach David Teague, former GM of list management Stephen Silvagni, football manager Brad Lloyd and list manager Mick Agresta — late in October’s trade period.
After a solid start to pre-season, he is dreaming of a wing/halfback role next year, but knows a starting berth won’t come easy.
“It was a bit of a shock to be honest — the competitiveness among the young brigade and how much they want it. It’s been ‘game on’ from the word go,” he said.
“When I was at my previous club you could tell who had come back a bit out of shape or who wasn’t training as well, but here you can’t find one.
“The leaders are very strong leaders … but then there’s the up-and-coming guys.
“Personally, I think Jacob Weitering is setting himself up for something pretty big.
“Even guys like Liam Jones — because you’ve played against them you don’t understand how they go about it.
“I’m just so pumped to be here and just want to get to the season now.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back