Review 2021 AFL Draft Live Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing wrong with adding a classy mid forward to the side if we considered him the #1 talent available at that point.

Tend to trade in our tall mids (Keays 185, Dawson 191, Hately 191, Seedsman 190, Hinge 190) other than Cook (190) who we took last year.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Jones or McHenry play calling them vanilla.

Instead of going back to 2005 when Betts was drafted, do you have any other examples in the last 5 years of gun small forwards you can get 'very deep in the draft'?

Yeah, like I've said it's cool if you guys are happy with the selection, I just have a differing opinion.

Jones in particular is very vanilla for a pick 9 and McHenry is very, very small. Not saying they won't play games and be good / decent players, but with what was on offer in that part of the draft, I don't think it's a stretch at all to be disappointed with those selections. Having said that, they still have plenty of time so I may be totally wrong. But I've seen both of them play plenty and they don't scream 'stars' to me, just solid contributors - hence vanilla. Neither of them are even playing midfield roles really, which I think would disappoint a lot of Crows fans who are being honest.

It's far too early to fully judge much of the past 5 drafts, but we see Papley (rookie), Gray (P55), Cameron (rookie), Ryan (mature, P26), Fritsch (mature, P31), McDonald-Tipungwuti (mature, rookie) as probably the pre-eminent small forwards of the comp currently, before that it was Betts (PSD), Bruest (P47), Milne (rookie) etc etc etc I could go on. The only one really who was taken high in the current top echelon is Toby Greene, so it's the exception rather than the rule.

Just my opinions of course.

Last edited:

Who are the next best key forwards besides Williams tigers may look at ?.

I think there's no one left (?) bar bazzo who's more a defender

Guys like lukic seem to have dropped away in the ratings.

Maybe Serongs brother but seems a reach.

Edit sorry thought I was on the Richmond board

fu** I feel so sorry for Chesser.

Poor kid is going to log on and read the Eagles board or other Social media like all Millennials do, and cry.

It's not his fault (and he looks a great kid and a good player) the Eagles chose to draft a HBF and not a pure midfielder FFS.

Had a quick squizz at the Eagles board last night and they were absolutely feral. Really starkly so.

Chesser and a 2nd Rd'er for Pick 12 aint a bad result. Instead they were livid they didn't get a local mid who slipped out of the top 20.

Had a quick squizz at the Eagles board last night and they were absolutely feral. Really starkly so.

Chesser and a 2nd Rd'er for Pick 12 aint a bad result. Instead they were livid they didn't get a local mid who slipped out of the top 20.

Who did they want?

Sheldrick?

Seems odd to cry about Johnson when he didn't go top20 but tigers fans has the same melts

You really underestimate how much we like drafting flankers and unsuccessfully attempting to turn them into mids.

We do the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, like I've said it's cool if you guys are happy with the selection, I just have a differing opinion.

Jones in particular is very vanilla for a pick 9 and McHenry is very, very small. Not saying they won't play games and be good / decent players, but with what was on offer in that part of the draft, I don't think it's a stretch at all to be disappointed with those selections. Seen both of them play plenty and they don't scream 'stars' to me, just solid contributors - hence vanilla. Neither of them are even playing midfield roles really, which I think would disappoint a lot of Crows fans who are being honest.

It's far too early to judge much of the past 5 drafts, but we see Papley (rookie), Gray (P55), Cameron (rookie), Ryan (mature, P26), Fritsch (mature, P31), McDonald-Tipungwuti (mature, rookie) as probably the pre-eminent small forwards of the comp currently, before that it was Betts (PSD), Bruest (P47), Milne (rookie) etc etc etc I could go on. The only one really who was taken high in the current top echelon is Toby Greene, so it's the exception rather than the rule.

Just my opinions of course.
McHenry was always picked as a small forward and Jones has taken longer than we would have liked to come on, but his last 10 games this year were really good.

I'll counter your picks above with top 10s Rioli, Greene, Rankine (TBC), Didak, Rozee, JDG, Stringer and Wingard and say you can get great mids later in the draft too.

Dawson (56)
Keays (Rookie)
Laird (Rookie)
Sloane (44)
Lyons (61)
Neale (58)

Plenty of others like Duncan, Yeo, Crouch etc were taken in the 2nd and 3rd rd too.

McHenry was always picked as a small forward and Jones has taken longer than we would have liked to come on, but his last 10 games this year were really good.

I'll counter your picks above with top 10s Rioli, Greene, Rankine (TBC), Didak, Rozee, JDG, Stringer and Wingard and say you can get great mids later in the draft too.

Dawson (56)
Keays (Rookie)
Laird (Rookie)
Sloane (44)
Lyons (61)
Neale (58)

Plenty of others like Duncan, Yeo, Crouch etc were taken in the 2nd and 3rd rd too.

There were a lot of top 5/10 picks in the grand final teams midfields

Would you be happy to trade a Future 1st or 2nd?

Otherwise 51, 56 and a Future 3rd isn't a lot to offer for an early second with known options.
I’d 100% deal the 2nd.

fu** I feel so sorry for Chesser.

Poor kid is going to log on and read the Eagles board or other Social media like all Millennials do, and cry.

It's not his fault (and he looks a great kid and a good player) the Eagles chose to draft a HBF and not a pure midfielder FFS.

It's what we do

If you blokes boo him, I'll lose it I swear.

I understand your angst, but it should be directed at the club, not this poor kid.

Lol as if

I will boo the dumbass recruiting department doe

Who did they want?

Sheldrick?

Seems odd to cry about Johnson when he didn't go top20 but tigers fans has the same melts

Everyone wanted Johnson or Hobbs, both available at our pick. They melted when we didn’t pick either and got Chesser.

A few posters where big on Sheldrick aswell.

I personally would have liked Johnson but there must be a reason every club passed on him. I’d back the recruiters who spend years watching these kids over the big footy mob who get fixated on certain players.

Chesser is now an eagle so we should be getting around him not talking crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back