Review 2021 AFL Draft Live Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like Chesser and really wanted him, I just wanted us to use draft capital to buy back in and try and get him. He'll be great for us, no doubt.

If you look at our current midfield it's strong, but they're all 26 plus now and a small spattering of young guys coming through but no one that gets you really excited. So the need for a young gun inside/balanced midfielder was high on everyone's priority list and when it came to our pick and we had a choice of Hobbs or Johnson we thought maybe after 10 years of no decent high draft picks we might draft a young gun inside mid. Our club just doesn't take this type of midfielder high in the draft, we tend to use late picks for this.

Anyway, I was saving my opinion until it all plays out as we now have 2 x F2 picks, pick 31 and 36 to use tonight. So we may trade up to grab a Johnson, Goater or Draper and if you add that with Chesser we've done bloody well in my opinion.

There were a lot of top 5/10 picks in the grand final teams midfields
Absolutely, you need these top 10 mids as the Dees and Tigers have shown.

The point was that small forwards can be taken top 10 and perform pretty well, not to say you don't need top 10 mids as well.

I remember a few years ago the AFL had a really good draft tracker on their site, so when a player was drafted the players name instantly went up in an easy to read manner. Does anyone know why the AFL got rid of this?

Nba does the same thing on the tv.

Best remaining list

Nba does the same thing on the tv.

Best remaining list

Here is the old one

NAB-AFL-Draft-2016-Top-10.jpg

It worked, it was easy to see and updated the picks as they happened. Now the AFL seem to have a live update based on text which involves a lot of scrolling. It feels 10 years less advanced.

McHenry was always picked as a small forward and Jones has taken longer than we would have liked to come on, but his last 10 games this year were really good.

I'm not rooting for them to fail, I just think they were poor selections, will end up middle of the road players and they are both small. I also think Adelaide erred not moving further up the board that year, but probably not the thread for it.

I'll counter your picks above with top 10s Rioli, Greene, Rankine (TBC), Didak, Rozee, JDG, Stringer and Wingard and say you can get great mids later in the draft too.

Rioli is fair enough, I mentioned Greene. Didak and Rozee (although 4 and 5cm taller than Rachele) are probably fair enough too. De Goey and Stringer are totally irrelevant to the conversation, as they are huge and definitely not small forwards. Rankine has had shocking injury luck, but he's that type of 'special' underage talent that might lend to justify such a big pick, but I also felt taking him there was iffy (wasn't on BF then). Rachele doesn't have those wraps, publically anyway and was taken in a huge ? pandemic year. His exposed form is simply not there. I really don't think it was the year for it...

You're also ignoring the point I made is that Adelaide has a recent history of drafting smaller players, whereas those clubs didn't when they selected those players high, so that's also a fair point of difference.

Of course you can get good players all over the draft, but history strongly shows us that certain types of players are almost exclusively taken as high draft picks and it's rare to find their level later on (elite KPFs for example). Elite small forwards overwhelmingly more so than any other position, can be found later in the draft. I think it's pretty hard to argue against that.

Good luck with Rachele, but I reckon Erasmus would have been a lovely fit and a nice point of difference moving forward if he develops like I think he might.

Here is the old one

It worked, it was easy to see and updated the picks as they happened. Now the AFL seem to have a live update based on text which involves a lot of scrolling. It feels 10 years less advanced.
Welcome to post covid economy. The employee responsible for that thing must have been redeployed or let go...

It was definitely in Foxtel's TV guide when I set it to record last night. Rookie draft and PSD will be website only though I expect.
Yeah, was based on a quoted tweet from Nat, that said only.
Can't find that now though

Here is the old one

*sniffs*
it was so beautiful.
plus the rollout with the highlights vid and write-up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you reckon was off the board by then whom Sydney would have liked to draft?
Not sure. Kinnear & Dalrymple run a tight ship and I can honestly say Swans board didn't have a clue, not a whisper. Anyone who says otherwise can be taken as a grain of salt. Even Twomey admitted they'd given him nothing.

Dalrymple confirmed best available and Kinnear confirmed we were looking at the midfield. That's all we have.

Horne-Francis, Andrew, Gibcus and Rachele
Well, everyone wanted Horne-Francis but no one but North were going to get him. Interesting response.

As for Rachele & Andrews I doubt it, we already have enough in that area. Gibcus would probably be the only one, but in truth its all relative and we'll never know.

Not sure why posters (not you btw) get so hung up on 'we picked the one you wanted' debate. You get who you get and move on.

Well, everyone wanted Horne-Francis but no one but North were going to get him. Interesting response.

As for Rachele & Andrews I doubt it, we already have enough in that area. Gibcus would probably be the only one, but in truth its all relative and we'll never know.

Not sure why posters (not you btw) get so hung up on 'we picked the one you wanted' debate. You get who you get and move on.

Not "so hung up" but it interesting trying to guess teams draft boards. Sometimes the clubs talk about them later on

There is at least a rumor swans liked brown but it's not a big deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back