Draft 2021 AFLW Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

the live Draft thread is now open here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon our bigger need is a key defender or someone who can score.

Ideally would like Slender with our first then use our other first rounder on a pure mid.
We've got Paige Price who is a whopping 188cm. I'm not sure how she is as a ruck but if she's decent then Rhi Watt can go back, I noticed she did a job on a few tall forwards this season. If she can't ruck we leave Rhi there and she can go forward and use that size to absolutely bully opposition defenders, leaving the G-Train to run riot.

We've got Paige Price who is a whopping 188cm. I'm not sure how she is as a ruck but if she's decent then Rhi Watt can go back, I noticed she did a job on a few tall forwards this season. If she can't ruck we leave Rhi there and she can go forward and use that size to absolutely bully opposition defenders, leaving the G-Train to run riot.
Rhi was pretty good where she played but she's 33 so won't be around for much longer

Price is 18/19 and hasn't played competitively since 2017. I wouldn't be expecting her to play straight away.

Nah I'm talking about new clubs pinching talent, where the original club doesn't get a choice in the matter.

If Prespakis doesn't want to re-sign that's fine and a different matter. Is she still worth drafting early just for two years, then out the door for nothing? Where there's smoke there's fire, too much talk about her being a flight risk, it's a worry.

Saints won't get a crack at her, leave it for us to worry about ;)

If she wants to go to a new club after two years then that's fine; AFLW players don't earn enough $$ to be held to AFL standards of accountability in terms of club servitude - if Geelong (or whoever) are squeamish about that pre-draft then fine, pass her up.

Personally I suspect Geelong will back themselves in to draft Prespakis and hope that she ends up opting to stay; if not then that's just how it is.
It's only a semi-professional comp; as I said players don't earn the $ to make a career out of footy and so the game's administrators are realistic in giving players the power to remain in the state of their choosing, or move on if they want to on short contracts.

As a Cats fan I've handled the loss of Greg Williams, our at the time captain Leigh Colbert and Gary Ablett jr - more recently Tim Kelly was out the door after coming 2nd in our B+F in his 2nd year. The club will be fine, and I think a year or Prespakis after the 2021 Geelong's AFLW side endured could buoy things up for club.

Prespakis to the Sainters? SUBSCRIBE

On one hand this bloke may indeed be on the sauce - on the other, I can't deny that as a supporter I mentally weighed up the same thing; perhaps we should just stay local and still get a very good prospect (as opposed to the best prospect) who we are a better chance of retaining.

however in the wake of Purcell's departure and Lucy McEvoy eschewing Geelong as her nominated club, we've seen that there are no guarantees in keeping Geelong girls in Geelong.

Overall I think this guy will be proven wrong, but I can see his line of argument easily enough.

If I'm drafting for the Saints, I'm taking Reid at 4, but it doesn't sound like that (or Slender) is the way it's going to go. Early reports seem to be that the Saints like an inside mid at that pick.

I won't pretend that I know all that much about this year's draft crop, but I really like the little I've seen of Ella Friend - for mine she looks a stand-out for #2 in the Vic pool, though I totally acknowledge that there is nothing close to a consensus on my opinion. If she ''slides'' to Geelong's 2nd pick I will be absolutely stoked. If we then pass her up I will spew up :sick:

If I'm drafting for the Saints, I'm taking Reid at 4, but it doesn't sound like that (or Slender) is the way it's going to go. Early reports seem to be that the Saints like an inside mid at that pick.
Hopefully the early reports are wrong and we are looking at an inside mid at a later pick.

With the 2nd vic pick, its too early to be taking for just need. Should be taking the best talent, which doesn't seem to be one fo those pure inside players based off the rankings available.

I'm sure this was a worry for Melbourne too...

View attachment 1184853

But the truth is the original club has much more of a say in the matter than the expansion club.

But the truth is the original club has much more of a say in the matter than the expansion club.

What did North Melbourne have to give up when they came into the league, for these players?
Jenna Bruton (Western Bulldogs)
Jessica Duffin (Collingwood)
Jasmine Garner (Collingwood)
Kate Gillespie-Jones (Carlton)
Emma Kearney (Western Bulldogs)
Emma King (Collingwood)
Danielle Hardiman (Carlton)
Kaitlyn Ashmore (Brisbane)
Tahlia Randall (Brisbane)
Daria Bannister (Western Bulldogs)
Brittany Gibson (Brisbane)

Nothing, zero, zilch because

Expansion club signing period
"From 11 May expansion clubs Geelong and North Melbourne were given a ten-day window to sign existing players from 2018 AFLW lists.
These clubs could sign a maximum of four players between them from any existing club.
No compensation was offered to those clubs losing players under this process, but the each player's existing club could make a counter-offer to the player.
A number of deals were agreed to in principle and acknowledged by clubs prior to the opening of this window."

So how much did the original clubs have a say in the matter.
It's easy to pick Lily Mithen not going to Geelong to suit your narrative

Kate Brennan went to the Tigers & Western Bulldogs got nothing

If Essendon & Hawthorn want to take 4 players each from other clubs & the players want to go, the expansion teams have to give up nothing, even if the players are contracted, because the contracts aren't binding when players want to walk to an expansion team

There are examples of this every expansion, you of all people should acknowledge that, what say you

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't pretend that I know all that much about this year's draft crop, but I really like the little I've seen of Ella Friend - for mine she looks a stand-out for #2 in the Vic pool, though I totally acknowledge that there is nothing close to a consensus on my opinion. If she ''slides'' to Geelong's 2nd pick I will be absolutely stoked. If we then pass her up I will spew up :sick:
Friend is Country Reid and Reid is Metro Friend. Both left-footers, about the same size, both can play all over the place. Friend's probably better if you specifically want a KP. I'm not sure when the last time Reid had a bad game was, though.

Friend is Country Reid and Reid is Metro Friend. Both left-footers, about the same size, both can play all over the place. Friend's probably better if you specifically want a KP. I'm not sure when the last time Reid had a bad game was, though.

would you say Reid is a little more outside, a litter quicker, and Friend a little big-bodied? or not?

Hopefully the early reports are wrong and we are looking at an inside mid at a later pick.

With the 2nd vic pick, its too early to be taking for just need. Should be taking the best talent, which doesn't seem to be one fo those pure inside players based off the rankings available.
I agree with you, but I'm also pretty confident that if they take an inside mid, they believe that player is the best player available. I'll give them a chance and, if I'm right and they're wrong, I won't be too critical, but I'll be very passive-aggressive about it. If they're right and I'm wrong, I'll just pretend I never said anything. That's the extent of my expertise.

Saints won't get a crack at her, leave it for us to worry about ;)

If she wants to go to a new club after two years then that's fine; AFLW players don't earn enough $$ to be held to AFL standards of accountability in terms of club servitude - if Geelong (or whoever) are squeamish about that pre-draft then fine, pass her up.

Personally I suspect Geelong will back themselves in to draft Prespakis and hope that she ends up opting to stay; if not then that's just how it is.
It's only a semi-professional comp; as I said players don't earn the $ to make a career out of footy and so the game's administrators are realistic in giving players the power to remain in the state of their choosing, or move on if they want to on short contracts.

As a Cats fan I've handled the loss of Greg Williams, our at the time captain Leigh Colbert and Gary Ablett jr - more recently Tim Kelly was out the door after coming 2nd in our B+F in his 2nd year. The club will be fine, and I think a year or Prespakis after the 2021 Geelong's AFLW side endured could buoy things up for club.
Very good points, CC

would you say Reid is a little more outside, a litter quicker, and Friend a little big-bodied? or not?
Friend's a more powerful build, for sure. The amount that Reid is outside gets oversold a little. She played a lot of wing and a lot of forward, so she got a ton of uncontested ball, but I think she's underrated in contested situations. Reality is, she got more ball than anybody and she would have got more if she hadn't been thrown forward in the second half of the year.

I'm not sure who's faster - I'd consider them both more endurance types than types that will burn you with speed. I will admit, however, that I only really notice speed when it's somebody burning off their opponents and the only players I can think of that did that a lot were Appleby and Dojiok. I would say I noticed Slender getting off her opponent more than either Friend or Reid when they were playing forward. So, if I'm guessing what 20m times would have been like, I'd guess Slender>Reid>Friend, but wouldn't be at all surprised to find I'm wrong.

Friend's a more powerful build, for sure. The amount that Reid is outside gets oversold a little. She played a lot of wing and a lot of forward, so she got a ton of uncontested ball, but I think she's underrated in contested situations. Reality is, she got more ball than anybody and she would have got more if she hadn't been thrown forward in the second half of the year.

I'm not sure who's faster - I'd consider them both more endurance types than types that will burn you with speed. I will admit, however, that I only really notice speed when it's somebody burning off their opponents and the only players I can think of that did that a lot were Appleby and Dojiok. I would say I noticed Slender getting off her opponent more than either Friend or Reid when they were playing forward. So, if I'm guessing what 20m times would have been like, I'd guess Slender>Reid>Friend, but wouldn't be at all surprised to find I'm wrong.

cheers really appreciate that response.

What did North Melbourne have to give up when they came into the league, for these players?
Jenna Bruton (Western Bulldogs)
Jessica Duffin (Collingwood)
Jasmine Garner (Collingwood)
Kate Gillespie-Jones (Carlton)
Emma Kearney (Western Bulldogs)
Emma King (Collingwood)
Danielle Hardiman (Carlton)
Kaitlyn Ashmore (Brisbane)
Tahlia Randall (Brisbane)
Daria Bannister (Western Bulldogs)
Brittany Gibson (Brisbane)

Nothing, zero, zilch because

Expansion club signing period
"From 11 May expansion clubs Geelong and North Melbourne were given a ten-day window to sign existing players from 2018 AFLW lists.
These clubs could sign a maximum of four players between them from any existing club.
No compensation was offered to those clubs losing players under this process, but the each player's existing club could make a counter-offer to the player.
A number of deals were agreed to in principle and acknowledged by clubs prior to the opening of this window."

So how much did the original clubs have a say in the matter.

Kate Brennan went to the Tigers & Western Bulldogs got nothing

If Essendon & Hawthorn want to take 4 players each from other clubs & the players want to go, the expansion teams have to give up nothing, even if the players are contracted, because the contracts aren't binding when players want to walk to an expansion team

There are examples of this every expansion, you of all people should acknowledge that, what say you
You missed Jamie Stanton who also left Brisbane to join North in 2019.

I’ve seen Amanda Ling thrown around a bit in discussions. Is she a decent prospect? Strong inside mid but is she a one trick pony and does her game carry over to the senior level or is she just beating up on smaller opponents as an overager?

It's easy to pick Lily Mithen... and Chelsea Randall, Jess Wuetschner, Emily Bates, Nicola Stevens, Gabriella Pound, Lucy McEvoy, Ruby Schleicher, Hayley Miller, Lauren Pearce, Karen Paxman, Ellie Blackburn, Brooke Lochland, Isabel Huntington, and a lot of other good players you apparently know nothing about.

There was just as much reason and/or rumours to think they'd join expansion teams as there is about Georgie Prespakis. But they didn't because they were happy with what their current club provided them, which is something the expansion teams have no control over.

First of all, you're completely off the mark saying "expansion teams have to give up nothing". Every signing counts against them when it comes to the AFL handing out draft concessions.

And second, no, a player has never walked out on a club mid-contract as an expansion signing.

I’ve seen Amanda Ling thrown around a bit in discussions. Is she a decent prospect? Strong inside mid but is she a one trick pony and does her game carry over to the senior level or is she just beating up on smaller opponents as an overager?
Shes actually smaller than most of the opponents she's come up against, just has some superb burts in close and technique in winning contested ball, quick and accurate by hands in close. She's also got a ridiculous sidestep that seems to work everytime

Yeah i didn't include her, only played one year & then she left to join GC suns in their expansion year 2020
Only included all the players that are still on the list
It's a incredible list of players North picked up, for nothing
We lost 16 or 17 players in 2019 & 20. I honestly can’t remember if we received another play back. Any picks we possibly received meant diddly squat as we were drafting from our own academy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back