List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess things can change - a year out and I didn't think we'd have a shot at getting Thilthorpe yet here we are - but chances of Horne are remote IMO.

If we want to continue the SA flavour, reckon Matt Roberts with maybe a top 4 pick and Arlo Draper with a near start of r2 pick might be our best chances of drafting midfielders.
I have often banged on about the blueprint to win a GF lies with the Eagles where the core of their team is WA players.

Given there is decent SA talent coming through, we really need to cash in some chips now and try our best to make a play for the best that is available. We dont have many bargaining chips to go either higher up the draft or get multiple 1sts but we should at least explore any opportunities out there to trade out.

Oscar Allen will be the next JK replacement at the Eagles IMO and the kid went at Pick 21. So many overlooked him. They are set for another 12+ years of power full forward.

We still have many holes in our list.

I have often banged on about the blueprint to win a GF lies with the Eagles where the core of their team is WA players.

Given there is decent SA talent coming through, we really need to cash in some chips now and try our best to make a play for the best that is available. We dont have many bargaining chips to go either higher up the draft or get multiple 1sts but we should at least explore any opportunities out there to trade out.

Oscar Allen will be the next JK replacement at the Eagles IMO and the kid went at Pick 21. So many overlooked him. They are set for another 12+ years of power full forward.

We still have many holes in our list.
yeah, honestly wouldn't care if we traded our 2022 first into this years draft iff it meant we got Roberts and draper.. if we finish 16th this year I wonder if someone with pick 8 or 9 this year would take a punt and trade it for our 2022 1st hoping we’d atleast stay in the otttom 5 in 2022..

lot of water to go under the bridge yet though..

yeah, honestly wouldn't care if we traded our 2022 first into this years draft iff it meant we got Roberts and draper.. if we finish 16th this year I wonder if someone with pick 8 or 9 this year would take a punt and trade it for our 2022 1st hoping we’d atleast stay in the otttom 5 in 2022..

I dont want us to go for Horne.

We are likely to end up with Pick 3 to 5 and to go higher, the Vic Clubs will be wanting literally a kings ransom, like probably three 1sts, thats not to say he is not worth or not, but it is very very risky to give up that much. Especially if they want and expect three Top 10 1sts from us.

We may have a chance for him to slide if we get Pick 2 or 3, it could happen, but if he is good as he is being projected to be, I doubt he will be there.

Even if the Vics dont want Horne, they will act like they do and will have us caught between a Rockliff and hard place.

Bit premature BC, let's wait and see how the SA boys balance up against the best of the best from all states at the Nationals which hopefully will go ahead this season with no Covid issues. 🤞🤞

Bit premature BC, let's wait and see how the SA boys balance up against the best of the best from all states at the Nationals which hopefully will go ahead this season with no Covid issues. 🤞🤞
definitely a long way to go yet.. and that being said.. i only named roberts and draper because i like the look of them (the sa factor is definitely a bonus) but if there clearly a better vic player available at our pick we’d be stupid to not grab him..

i was more thinking that if we could add two great mid prospects this year instead of one it might be worth giving up our 2022 1st to do so...

everyone has horne as the clear no.1 at this point.. sure he looks fantastic, but i actually like the look of Roberts just as much tbh even though horne has way more runs on the board as it stands... but their will definitely be some vic kids that will emerge. anything could happen.

These recruiters look at players years out, I think it would be in our best interest for the Vic boys to really stand out and surpass the SA kids.

Well Im hoping for that.

I doubt he was miles off it given that we obviously thought he was around the mark

Didn't he end up going for $550k?

EDIT: Actually, looks like the guarantee is a lot lower, but his bonuses can push him up to $700k.

These recruiters look at players years out, I think it would be in our best interest for the Vic boys to really stand out and surpass the SA kids.

Well Im hoping for that.
No we can’t be SA centric
We need to find the best midfielder in this draft and we shouldn’t care where he comes from

No we can’t be SA centric
We need to find the best midfielder in this draft and we shouldn’t care where he comes from
That goes without saying, if its close to line ball we go SA kid.

Crows definitely picked TT over McDonald because he was from SA and I believe both were line ball for us to take with Pick 1.

These SA midfielders kids have been held in high regard for some time, it is the right move to go SA in this draft.

Well Im hoping for that.
Campbell Chesser and Josh Rachele are the 2 Vic lads I'm keen to see more of in the run up to the Nationals and during. My gut feel is Ben Hobbs might be the Vic lad/player type that Matthew Nicks seems to like.

Crows definitely picked TT over McDonald because he was from SA and I believe both were line ball for us to take with Pick 1.

These SA midfielders kids have been held in high regard for some time, it is the right move to go SA in this draft.
This is the last time this year's draftees got together competitively.

1620189644349.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$700k-$750k + would net band one.. Brad didnt get anywhere near that.

and if we pay m crouch $800k a year then we’re dumb as dog sh*t. it would be vomit worthy.

$600k a year MAXIMUM. and no more than a 4 year contract. his body in recent years, ever since those bad hammy’s he suffered at the start of 2018, hasn't been reliable enought to warrant giving him anymore than 4 years. i’d prefer to see him given 3 years at $600k, take it or leave it..

and I wont care if he did end up leaving and we only got an end of first compo to be brutally honest. we need to free up some space in our midfield for the high draft pick mids we will have coming in in the next two years and laird, crouch, keays and sloane are all too similar.. losing one of them wont hurt much in the end especially if we replace him with one of Roberts, sinn, Horne, draper or sonsie..

probably get a “thumbs down” from Mutineer for this comment.. but I can live with that.

edit: and would you look at that, it took less than five minutes to get it.. very efficient mutineer... very efficient!..
So Matt gets a $600kx5 year deal. What do you do?

Match - no, not according to the above.

Don't match - get a pick in the mid to late 20s after F/S, etc.

Without knowing the ins and outs of this year's draft (cue Mutineer), I think Matt's worth more to us than that and we have cap space to accommodate it.

So Matt gets a $600kx5 year deal. What do you do?

Match - no, not according to the above.

Don't match - get a pick in the mid to late 20s after F/S, etc.

Without knowing the ins and outs of this year's draft (cue Mutineer), I think Matt's worth more to us than that and we have cap space to accommodate it.
Mrouch mature body in the midfield will help the new kids in the mid come through better.

Just look at how bashed Cripps has been for the Blues without support.

I completely understand your thought pattern
However as Bicks has pointed out many times the Vic kids especially did not get exposure 2020
Also add Hollands to the mix if he didn’t do his knee. ( I know Im a broken record with him)
Might have been a tight call

I completely understand your thought pattern
However as Bicks has pointed out many times the Vic kids especially did not get exposure 2020
Also add Hollands to the mix if he didn’t do his knee. ( I know Im a broken record with him)
Might have been a tight call

I think the Roos showed their hand a bit in the last draft by bypassing McDonald.

That showed me that they wont risk their pick if its in the same ball park as a good Vic kid. Though things can change easily in 12 months.

I mean its only May, its hard from this far out to see the final proposed draft order pan out, from recent history the Top 10 do change in order in that range, some slide, some go up.

I think we might trade our 2022 1st pick in this draft for a SA kid if he is available at a certain pick from the 5-10 range, that I genuinely believe will happen.

What would your strategy be? Remember, 850k = band 1.
Matt isn't going to get offered that much IMO, but it he does we take it and we run..... Fast.

I reckon we'll end up with pick 3 or 4 which won't be enough for Horne. If we DID end up with the Band 1 for Matt then you could be in the ballpark for Roberts and Horne with some creative trading.

Trade 3 and next year's first for pick 1, keep the compo for Roberts/Draper/Sonsie.

Sounds simple in theory.

Nup... i just cannot see the arguement of getting your midfield sorted first being correct given that KPD’s and KPF’s take longer than mids to develop.
Take it up with Hawthorn's dynasty 🤣

I think drafting McAsey and Thilthorpe as our bookends with our 2 highest ever picks makes sense. Get them in earlier as they'll take more time to develop. But I think the key from here is at least 2 elite midfielders.

Also think that if needed, there's a greater pool of options in midfield to bring in through free agency, and easier to integrate into your team than trying to find a key position player.
Taking a defender at pick 6 never makes sense.

It's dumbarsery of the highest order.

Matt for 600k is a bargain. He'd be on more than that atm IMO.

Brad was rumoured to be getting around that mark for 5 years at the saints plus triggers.

I'd think Matt will be looking around 800k if he stays.
We would pay Matt $800k.

No one else would.

Taking a defender at pick 6 never makes sense.

It's dumbarsery of the highest order.
You just quoted Hawthorn as supposedly being the best in the business....Lo and behold they took a "Defender" with their 1st pick (7) Denver Grainger-Barras in last year's draft in preference to some really decent midfield prospects including your boy Elijah Hollands, Archie Perkins, Luke Pedlar, Tanner Bruhn, Tom Powell, Finlay Macrae etc ?

You just quoted Hawthorn as supposedly being the best in the business....Lo and behold they took a "Defender" with their 1st pick (7) Denver Grainger-Barras in last year's draft in preference to some really decent midfield prospects including your boy Elijah Hollands, Archie Perkins, Luke Pedlar, Tanner Bruhn, Tom Powell, Finlay Macrae etc ?
7 is way lower than 6 mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back