Opinion 2021 fixture I'd like to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

we can have another season where the same people that tell us money is the most important thing in the universe to the afl - try and fail miserably to explain why games are being played in empty stadiums all year (whilst geelong - collingwood on a midweek night in miserable weather gets 23000 in perth)

all these poor vic clubs could have been playing each other at leederville and joondalup in front of paying fans at very little cost - they would have just as likely nade more money with 5000 there as they do with 20000 with their shitty etihad deals.

Not sure if this little incoherant #VICBIAS melt was worthy of you quoting post I made two weeks ago--- but sure.

Not sure if this little incoherant #VICBIAS melt was worthy of you quoting post I made two weeks ago--- but sure.

its worthy of bringing up anytime - the afl purposely chose to make a shitload less money than it could have - tens of millions of dollars in the worst financial year its had since conception.

its worthy of bringing up anytime - the afl purposely chose to make a shitload less money than it could have - tens of millions of dollars in the worst financial year its had since conception.

Cool Story Bro.

Maybe make another thread about it?

It has very little to do with the 2021 Fixture & you're embarrassing yourself and your fellow supporters by continually melting over the same key points ad nauseum.

Just once I'd like to see the AFL treat the Hawks with fairness. Every year they find a way to f**k us over with their fixtures

When we were on top, they'd give us the toughest draw and they'd excuse it by saying it was a seeded fixture and we were the top seed.
But now we're no longer a top team, they seem to have forgotten this seeding method. Typical... I always knew it was just bullshiit.

This past season, the AFL seemed determined to make us play every away game possible
Geelong at Kardinia Park, GWS at the Showgrounds, Sydney at the SCG, West Coast & Freo in WA, Adelaide & Port in SA
No other team had to play as many away games as we did

The AFL also f**ked us over by making us play the MOST games with a short rest versus well-rested teams.
Not ONCE did we get the benefit of having a full 7 days preparation versus an opponent on a short week.

I don't know what the story is... whether it's an AFL vs Jeff Kennett thing... Revenge for extending our Tassie deal... But I'm sick of it.
I'm sick of seeing clubs like Richmond and Collingwood being gifted easy draws while we are given the raw prawn.

Cool Story Bro.

Maybe make another thread about it?

It has very little to do with the 2021 Fixture & you're embarrassing yourself and your fellow supporters by continually melting over the same key points ad nauseum.
no im embarrassing you as you flat out dont have an answer to it - as there is no answer.

so you try to deflect.

no im embarrassing you as you flat out dont have an answer to it - as there is no answer.

so you try to deflect.

You quoted a post I made 2 weeks ago in this thread.

Let's remind you what it says "Opinion- 2021 fixture I'd like to see" with this sad #VICBIAS melt/rant.

we can have another season where the same people that tell us money is the most important thing in the universe to the afl - try and fail miserably to explain why games are being played in empty stadiums all year (whilst geelong - collingwood on a midweek night in miserable weather gets 23000 in perth)

all these poor vic clubs could have been playing each other at leederville and joondalup in front of paying fans at very little cost - they would have just as likely nade more money with 5000 there as they do with 20000 with their shitty etihad deals.

I'm not deflecting-- all I'm suggesting is that there's a dozen threads for you to complain to your hearts content... and two whole sub-forums (Bay 13 and the WCE team board).

But if you're going to keep quoting me to try and "prove a point" that has nothing to do with the topic on the thread, I'll just keeping calling you out for going on off-topic #VICBIAS melts. It's sad mate--- it really is.

Now can we get back to the topic-- what's people want to see in the 2021 Fixture?

Thanks. I haven't read a melt in a while.

Nobody travelling two weeks in a row. 2020 was different, but almost every year someone cops this, often with a six day gap.
Every club play in every state with a team at least once

And things that will not happen, but should:
  • all games between to Friday night and Sunday afternoon, except long weekends
  • first 17 games, play each other once, remaining rounds repeat the first rounds (swapping home venue)
  • all clubs get a minimum of 3 MCG games, playing zero or one game at the guaranteed GF venue is BS
    • except West Coast to play in Launceston, Hobart, Canberra, Darwin, Alice Springs and Cairns for the lol-factor
  • Friday night and prime time shared more equitably, including more all non-Vic games

I’ll repeat my suggestion from every version of this thread. The fairest system is:

- rounds 1-17: everyone plays each other once
- rounds 18-22 are a floating/flexible fixture where matchups are decided by Swiss pairings (ie; 1v2, 3v4, 5v6 etc)
- ideally teams also drop out and stop playing once eliminated from finals contention.

This system (Used in chess and a variety of othemakes every ‘duplicate’ game late in the season have maximum impact. It means spots in the finals are determined by beating other teams on the edge of finals, and top 4 spots are decided by beating Other top 4 teams - which is how it should be.

It’s also flexible if (god forbid) we lose a round or two - the system works just as well for 20 or 21 rounds if it comes to that...

Does it, for example, go 1 v 3 if 1 and 2 stay in the same positions after playing each other? I'd assume that's the case as you don't want teams playing each other three times. Anyway, I like the idea.

Thanks. I haven't read a melt in a while.

BF needs a function to just bring up a random Krazy Al post for when people want to read an incoherent melt.

The topic is always pretty much the same, but they're funny anyway....<insert topic here> is a case of VicBias that can only be solved by giving WCE an even bigger advantage than they already have.

BF needs a function to just bring up a random Krazy Al post for when people want to read an incoherent melt.

The topic is always pretty much the same, but they're funny anyway....<insert topic here> is a case of VicBias that can only be solved by giving WCE an even bigger advantage than they already have.
Interesting that pre-covid our draw was rated the hardest yet the reigning premier only got the 7th hardest draw...

Hmm....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that pre-covid our draw was rated the hardest yet the reigning premier only got the 7th hardest draw...

Hmm....

How they rate would depend on how you value the various factors I imagine.

Does it, for example, go 1 v 3 if 1 and 2 stay in the same positions after playing each other? I'd assume that's the case as you don't want teams playing each other three times. Anyway, I like the idea.

Yes, you would start with 1v2 and avoid repeating matchups by going to 1v3 if necessary.

Also, if you layer in the ‘teams eliminated once they can’t make finals’ wrinkle and end up with an odd number of teams then you just give a bye to top (then second, then third) and use winning % from that point on.

Yes, you would start with 1v2 and avoid repeating matchups by going to 1v3 if necessary.

Also, if you layer in the ‘teams eliminated once they can’t make finals’ wrinkle and end up with an odd number of teams then you just give a bye to top (then second, then third) and use winning % from that point on.

I like it. I'm assuming you would reverse fixture the 1v2 matchups, so if Port played Brisbane in Qld earlier in the season, the return game would be at AO, and so on.

Just once I'd like to see the AFL treat the Hawks with fairness. Every year they find a way to f**k us over with their fixtures

When we were on top, they'd give us the toughest draw and they'd excuse it by saying it was a seeded fixture and we were the top seed.
But now we're no longer a top team, they seem to have forgotten this seeding method. Typical... I always knew it was just bullshiit.

This past season, the AFL seemed determined to make us play every away game possible
Geelong at Kardinia Park, GWS at the Showgrounds, Sydney at the SCG, West Coast & Freo in WA, Adelaide & Port in SA

The AFL also f**ked us over by making us play the MOST games with a short rest versus well-rested teams.
Not ONCE did we get the benefit of having a full 7 days preparation versus an opponent on a short week.

I don't know what the story is... whether it's an AFL vs Jeff Kennett thing... Revenge for extending our Tassie deal... But I'm sick of it.
I'm sick of seeing clubs like Richmond and Collingwood being gifted easy draws while we are given the raw prawn.
I’m not sure if there’s a hint of jealousy in there because next year Richmond could go past you with a threepeat but you’re definitely not wrong about Collingwood.

The AFL doesnt try to hide it. We had 1 actual home game, 6 pretend home games and 10 away games.

Only team that didnt get a stint in QLD too.

Will be interesting what they do in 2021. We are owed a lot of home games with good breaks against opponents with bad breaks.

Not holding my breath.

“The Hawks really were shafted. In addition to their terrible run with home games, they never had a major advantage in terms of a days break, and four times had a major disadvantage. Greater Western Sydney were similarly unlucky.”
hawks 2020 analysis.png

“The Hawks really were shafted. In addition to their terrible run with home games, they never had a major advantage in terms of a days break, and four times had a major disadvantage. Greater Western Sydney were similarly unlucky.”
View attachment 1013523

Shows that Geelong did VERY well and Adelaide were nothing short of bloody awful.

Don't really care what they do with the fixtures apart from getting West Coast as far away from Queensland as possible.

Main thing is bringing back 20 minute quarters. Makes the game so much better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back