Resource 2021 Membership - *56,532 (Audited Membership Record) as at July 28th

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the club really guarantee that 82% of members won't have their seating affected if pods are restricted to 120 and are bordered by two vacant rows and/or an aisle?

Moving affected members to "comparable" seats will be challenging, given there are very few vacant seats in the prime (eg Platinum) outer bays. They have already noted comparable may mean if you are on Level 1 now, your "comparable" seat will also be level 1. Level 1 on the wing and Level 1 behind the goals aren't comparable by my definition. One is Platinum, the other is Silver A.

Can the club really guarantee that 82% of members won't have their seating affected if pods are restricted to 120 and are bordered by two vacant rows and/or an aisle?

Moving affected members to "comparable" seats will be challenging, given there are very few vacant seats in the prime outer bays. They have already noted comparable may mean if you ae on Level 1 now, your "comparable" seat will also be level 1. Level 1 on the wing and Level 1 behind the goals aren't comparable by my definition.
That's the first I've heard of 120 people in a pod.

Most of the Aisles between 131 and 140 are 29 or 30 seats by 25 rows (no row I) so let's call it 750 seats per Aisle.

I had heard they would remove the 2 seats next to the right hand side aisle so seats 1 and 2 and 2 seats next to the left hand aisle ie seats 29 and 30, and remove all of row A seats - AFL covid protocols from last year and maybe remove all of row Z seats.

In that example you are removing 30 seats x 2 rows + 4 seats x 23 rows = 152 seats. 152 seats removed from 750 seat Aisle is 20.3% so call it 80% which is what Richo said. Think Steve Shirley said 82%.

If you don't remove everyone from row Z - just the 4 aisle seats that's 126 seats removed or 16.8% removed.

For a 120 seat pod the alternative set up could be no row A then
30 seats x 4 rows then a 1 row gap then
30 seats x 4 rows but no gap for last row

So in that set up in an Aisle of 750 seats you have 5 pods x 120 seats in a pod = 600 seats and 5 rows x 30 seats = 150 with no people. 600/750 = 80%.

That's the first I've heard of 120 people in a pod.

Most of the Aisles between 131 and 140 are 29 or 30 seats by 25 rows (no row I) so let's call it 750 seats per Aisle.

I had heard they would remove the 2 seats next to the right hand side aisle so seats 1 and 2 and 2 seats next to the left hand aisle ie seats 29 and 30, and remove all of row A seats - AFL covid protocols from last year and maybe remove all of row Z seats.

In that example you are removing 30 seats x 2 rows + 4 seats x 23 rows = 152 seats. 152 seats removed from 750 seat Aisle is 20.3% so call it 80% which is what Richo said. Think Steve Shirley said 82%.

If you don't remove everyone from row Z - just the 4 aisle seats that's 126 seats removed or 16.8% removed.

For a 120 seat pod the alternative set up could be no row A then
30 seats x 4 rows but no gap for last row

So in that set up in an Aisle of 750 seats you have 5 pods x 120 seats in a pod = 600 seats and 5 rows x 30 seats = 150 with no people. 600/750 = 80%.

This is from the FAQ's you quoted on the previous page, which notes the 120 seat pods and a two vacant row border, not one.

What is the seating arrangement for the 75% capacity?
There are a number of conditions –

All patrons must be allocated a reserved seat in a pod formation.

Pods are banks of seating in capacities of 120 people, bordered by two vacant rows and/or an aisle. Unless on the edge of a pod, you may have people in front, behind and either side of you.

We rang the club today and were told row A is expected to be in play and the seating formation will be like a hot cross bun. So you could be looking at 12 seats across, two vacant seats then another twelve seats across. Go back ten rows and do it again until you run out.

I think the bays are 28 seats across at ground level in Platinum. So to make a pod of 120 you would also have to shave a column of seats off either end assuming you take two columns out down the middle.

Assuming a 28 x 28 square, you would have 784 seats to play with. In the configuration above overall you are left with 576 seats out of 784 or 73.5%.

If the pods are 130, then you get up to around 80%.

However it is configured, it's still displacing a lot of people who have to be relocated to comparable seats.

They can't fit them all back in the Platinum area.

This is from the FAQ's you quoted on the previous page, which notes the 120 seat pods and a two vacant row border, not one.

We rang the club today and were told row A is expected to be in play and the seating formation will be like a hot cross bun. So you could be looking at 12 seats across, two vacant seats then another twelve seats across. Go back ten rows and do it again until you run out.

I think the bays are 28 seats across at ground level in Platinum. So to make a pod of 120 you would also have to shave a column of seats off either end assuming you take two columns out down the middle.

Assuming a 28 x 28 square, you would have 784 seats to play with. In the configuration above overall you are left with 576 seats out of 784 or 73.5%.

If the pods are 130, then you get up to around 80%.
* I should have read that a little bit better than I did. So what happens after 10 rows of 12 people per row? Do they leave all of row 11 empty? or rows 11 and 12 empty? Or do they have put people in row 11?

How do you get 576 seats?

fu** I should have read that a little bit better than I did. So what happens after 10 rows of 12 people per row? Do they leave all of row 11 empty? or rows 11 and 12 empty? Or do they have put people in row 11?

How do you get 576 seats?

I started with 784, then took away 4 rows across (2x2), two columns down the middle and a column either side at the bay extremities, then left the rest populated.

So it's A to J, then K and L empty and start again at M. I didn't factor in the missing row I.

It produces 4 pods of 120 and a couple of pods of 48 with the leftovers.

Mocked it up in an Excel spreadsheet to make sure the counts were right.

1614207778784.png

Last edited:
What is the point of all this seat manipulation if it turns into a maelstrom of people on the concourse behind the seating?
Are there any rules for behaviour behind the seating?
Food purchases? Beer purchases?

What is the point of all this seat manipulation if it turns into a maelstrom of people on the concourse behind the seating?
Are there any rules for behaviour behind the seating?
Food purchases? Beer purchases?

You'll have to wear a mask for moving around the stadium, and only take it off when you're seated.

A mockery of which, will be made after the game when all the masks get ripped off, and everybody herds across the footbridge to get onto jam packed trains.

Last edited:
Received my packs today... interesting that the Club1870 badge doesn’t have the year on it.
I would have preferred a smaller sticker like last years.

On a positive, the magpies membership ticket looks awesome!
7AD485E2-A8C8-443A-8ACE-2B660622C568.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'll have to wear a mask for moving around the stadium, and only take it off when you're seated.

A mockery of which, will be made after the game when all the masks get ripped off, and everybody herds across the footbridge to get onto jam packed trains.
Are there any rules for standing at the urinal while at the game, in terms of social distancing? Just a mask, or perhaps spread legs and elbows?

Are there any rules for standing at the urinal while at the game, in terms of social distancing? Just a mask, or perhaps spread legs and elbows?

Just the usual; look straight ahead, don't piss on your feet, and don't breath through your nose.

I started with 784, then took away 4 rows across (2x2), two columns down the middle and a column either side at the bay extremities, then left the rest populated.

So it's A to J, then K and L empty and start again at M. I didn't factor in the missing row I.

It produces 4 pods of 120 and a couple of pods of 48 with the leftovers.

Mocked it up in an Excel spreadsheet to make sure the counts were right.
I mocked these up last night.

I tried to find out the dimensions of the seats and row gaps at and found a 2012 article that said at the redeveloped AO each seat will be 52cm wide, 4cm wider than Footy Park, and that the gap between each row is an extra 10cm. I seem to remember 895mm, but cant find anything to confirm that. So I will go with 52cm and 90cm.

Eliminating 1 row means there is 1.8m between the back of Row C and back of Row A if Row B is eliminated so that covers 1.5m from mouth to back of the head. Eliminating 2 seats is 1.04m. Eliminating a seat on the end of each walkway means people are at least 2m apart between bays.

I will call what AO call Aisles, as Bays, because the walkway seats at stadiums or theatres are called aisles.

I know that somewhere between Bays 135,136,137 and 138 its says seats 1-29 in one bay and seats 30-59 in the next bay. At ground level ie the 100's Bays I have never seen row AA like in the 500's Bays in the eastern and southern stands and 300's Bays in the western stand. I've seen row Y and row Z and I know row I at stadiums in Oz is eliminated, so the dills don't get confused and think its row 1.

So a 28 seat wide ground level bay would look like this;

1614231690981.png

And I will assume for a 30 seat wide bay that SA health don't piss their pants, aren't that anal and will allow for a 130 people pod.

1614231738683.png

For those who have 300's Bay seats in the eastern stand, I'm pretty sure those Bays between 333-337 are set up as per below and nobody should be moved as the fence separating Stadium Club members is after Row F. That would mean allowing a 138 people pod. Will SA health allow that? The 2 squares is where the cameraman in Bay 335 is, and he takes up 2 x 3 seats so I guess that pod becomes 133 people

1614231806342.png

Will they empty out Row G in the Stadium Club members area?? I bloody hope so and not eliminate Row F. If they eliminate Row F seat the pod becomes 116 people

1614232142040.png

Bays 330 and 340 are skinny bays, they will be split and Bays 331-332, 338-339 seating goes back to Row K or Row L before you get to the open air corporate boxes, so those bays will be split, either after Row F or removing row F.

I don't know how wide 320 to 329 Bays in the southern stand are, but they are about 20 rows deep.

I don't know that much about the width of the 500's Bays in the eastern and southern stand, other than the last row in the southern stand is Row KK, or the 300's Bays in Western stand, but those supposed 18% of reserved seat members who are going to be moved, some are going to end up a long way from their normal seats.

I know they leave seats unallocated to members to sell to the public in the 100's and 300's Bays so they will probably soak those up with moving reserved seat members into them but I wouldn't think there are close 4,000 equivalent seats available for those unsold seats.

The Gavin Wanganeen stand ie Bays 542-544 on the north end of the Eastern stand a large slab is left for oppo fans who are prepared to pay $70+ for a seat, think Bay 544, so I guess they will move a lot of people into that Bay(s).

Last edited:
I mocked these up last night.

I tried to find out the dimensions of the seats and row gaps at and found a 2012 article that said at the redeveloped AO each seat will be 52cm wide, 4cm wider than Footy Park, and that the gap between each row is an extra 10cm. I seem to remember 895mm, but cant find anything to confirm that. So I will go with 52cm and 90cm.

Eliminating 1 row means there is 1.8m between the back of Row C and back of Row A if Row B is eliminated so that covers 1.5m from mouth to back of the head. Eliminating 2 seats is 1.04m. Eliminating a seat on the end of each walkway means people are at least 2m apart between bays.

I will call what AO call Aisles, as Bays, because the walkway seats at stadiums or theatres are called aisles.

I know that somewhere between Bays 135,136,137 and 138 its says seats 1-29 in one bay and seats 30-59 in the next bay. At ground level ie the 100's Bays I have never seen row AA like in the 500's Bays in the eastern and southern stands and 300's Bays in the western stand. I've seen row Y and row Z and I know row I at stadiums in Oz is eliminated, so the dills don't get confused and think its row 1.

So a 28 seat wide ground level bay would look like this;

View attachment 1065151

And I will assume for a 30 seat wide bay that SA health don't piss their pants, aren't that anal and will allow for a 130 people pod.

View attachment 1065153

For those who have 300's Bay seats in the eastern stand, I'm pretty sure those Bays between 333-337 are set up as per below and nobody should be moved as the fence separating Stadium Club members is after Row F. That would mean allowing a 138 people pod. Will SA health allow that? The 2 squares is where the cameraman in Bay 335 is, and he takes up 2 x 3 seats so I guess that pod becomes 133 people

View attachment 1065155

Will they empty out Row G in the Stadium Club members area?? I bloody hope so and not eliminate Row F. If they eliminate Row F seat the pod becomes 116 people

View attachment 1065159

Bays 330 and 340 are skinny bays, they will be split and Bays 331-332, 338-339 seating goes back to Row K or Row L before you get to the open air corporate boxes, so those bays will be split, either after Row F or removing row F.

I don't know how wide 320 to 329 Bays in the southern stand are, but they are about 20 rows deep.

I don't know that much about the width of the 500's Bays in the eastern and southern stand, other than the last row in the southern stand is Row KK, or the 300's Bays in Western stand, but those supposed 18% of reserved seat members who are going to be moved, some are going to end up a long way from their normal seats.

I know they leave seats unallocated to members to sell to the public in the 100's and 300's Bays so they will probably soak those up with moving reserved seat members into them but I wouldn't think there are close 4,000 equivalent seats available for those unsold seats.

The Gavin Wanganeen stand ie Bays 542-544 on the north end of the Eastern stand a large slab is left for oppo fans who are prepared to pay $70+ for a seat, think Bay 544, so I guess they will move a lot of people into that Bay(s).
I'd think a lot of groups will be displaced if seat #1 and end seat of each row is not allowed. Interesting read and will be interesting to see how it's sorted out.

Last year at the games social distancing was managed well. After the games most of the crowds were really good at social distancing as we left and walked to our transport. Hopefully we will do it again this year.

I'd think a lot of groups will be displaced if seat #1 and end seat of each row is not allowed. Interesting read and will be interesting to see how it's sorted out.
It will be a nightmare to organise. Glad I'm not doing it. I just worry the club will leave themselves wide open if they put a positive spin on it that they will find the overwhelming majority of people equivalent seats.

The best hope is if there are a lot of those empty seats in each bay, especially the higher end memberships that they can move people into those empty seats.

I know when we had 60k members we had over 30k reserved seat members. There are 23k reserved seat members as of a week or two ago when Steve Shirley was on AA sportshow. I just don't know how spread out they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back