News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No it doesn't, the supporters aren't entitled to that information just because they support the club.

Tell people they are missing for personal reasons and leave it at that. No regular Joe has a right to know that information.
Supporters have the right to know if a player is choosing to not play. Just like we find out the details when a player misses the season with a knee or 4 week with a hammy or a game due to their wife giving birth. Clubs release a medical statement every week, this is no different.

I find it funny that we sent players to be filmed getting vaccinated for the news and were happy to release the number of players who were getting it that day but now when we obviously have someone within the club refusing to get it, we couldn't possibility share any medical information despite having already shared some information and players statuses. Pretty obvious we are going to have an issue and this will have to be shared eventually. Cant hide behind this 'medical information' excuse for much longer.

Supporters have the right to know if a player is choosing to not play. Just like we find out the details when a player misses the season with a knee or 4 week with a hammy or a game due to their wife giving birth. Clubs release a medical statement every week, this is no different.

I find it funny that we sent players to be filmed getting vaccinated for the news and were happy to release the number of players who were getting it that day but now when we obviously have someone within the club refusing to get it, we couldn't possibility share any medical information despite having already shared some information and players statuses. Pretty obvious we are going to have an issue and this will have to be shared eventually. Cant hide behind this 'medical information' excuse for much longer.
I'm stunned that you think the two are no different. What is it about "personal reasons" that is not sufficient enough for you? You are not entitled to private medical information regardless of how much you pay to watch our games. It's ridiculous to think you are.

And what's hypocritical about filming the players being vaccinated? Do you know personally if they were OK to provide that video to the public? What about the players that do not want the information disclosed? Because you cheer on the boys every week you think you are entitled to that kind of information? A statement that a player is missing because of personal reasons is all you are entitled to, if the player wants to make it public that is his right - not yours.

What is it about "personal reasons" that is not sufficient enough for you? You are not entitled to private medical information regardless of how much you pay to watch our games.
Being unavailable due to personal reasons pertaining to mental health or family issues is very different. While supporters don't and shouldn't know the specific circumstances behind the players leave, they still get told that it is a mental health/family reason and whether or not the player is expected to return.

A player choosing to not play due to not fulfilling their vaccine requirement and getting put on an inactive list/having their contract terminated is information that supporters of a club should be made aware of, just like when we get told about injuries making a player unavailable. And we will know come day 1 of preseason when a player is mysteriously missing.

You cant hide behind the 'private medial information' line when a players status impacts their ability to do a public job.

Being unavailable due to personal reasons pertaining to mental health or family issues is very different. While supporters don't and shouldn't know the specific circumstances behind the players leave, they still get told that it is a mental health/family reason and whether or not the player is expected to return.

A player choosing to not play due to not fulfilling their vaccine requirement and getting put on an inactive list/having their contract terminated is information that supporters of a club should be made aware of, just like when we get told about injuries making a player unavailable. And we will know come day 1 of preseason when a player is mysteriously missing.

You cant hide behind the 'private medial information' line when a players status impacts their ability to do a public job.
To be quite honest you as a supporter are not entitled to any private information whether that be mental family or otherwise. Regardless of if the club want to disclose it or not. That's a decision between player doctor and club, not Brut the Saints supporter. That's the point. If a player is missing come day 1 of pre-season then you can speculate, you don't have the right to that information. I don't know why you think you do. Outside of the doctor, player and club, nobody is entitled to know anything. Like I said, personal reasons and leave it at that. You can make up your own assumptions from there - that's all you're entitled to.

To be quite honest you as a supporter are not entitled to any private information whether that be mental family or otherwise. Regardless of if the club want to disclose it or not. That's a decision between player doctor and club, not Brut the Saints supporter. That's the point. If a player is missing come day 1 of pre-season then you can speculate, you don't have the right to that information. I don't know why you think you do. Outside of the doctor, player and club, nobody is entitled to know anything. Like I said, personal reasons and leave it at that. You can make up your own assumptions from there - that's all you're entitled to.
I guess we agree to disagree to stop going around in circles.

But it's not private information, not when their public job requires them to be vaccinated. Their status is something everyone will know soon enough.

I guess we agree to disagree to stop going around in circles.

But it's not private information, not when their public job requires them to be vaccinated. Their status is something everyone will know soon enough.
If there weren't any issues about disclosing the information then I don't know why clubs are. Disclosing it is a decision that should be made between the club, doctor and by the approval of the player. Journos sniffing around for that information is quite frankly disgraceful, they should mind their own business like everyone else should. That's all. If people weren't lambasted for not taking it then I'm sure it wouldn't be such a touchy topic, but people can't keep their noses out of others' business so there you go.

If there weren't any issues about disclosing the information then I don't know why clubs are. Disclosing it is a decision that should be made between the club, doctor and by the approval of the player. Journos sniffing around for that information is quite frankly disgraceful, they should mind their own business like everyone else should. That's all. If people weren't lambasted for not taking it then I'm sure it wouldn't be such a touchy topic, but people can't keep their noses out of others' business so there you go.
We are the only club being touchy about it. Every other club, except Carlton, has made a statement being up front about whether their playing group will be fully vaxxed or suggested they still have some players on the fence. Carlton wouldnt provided an update until closer to pre season and the Liam Jones news has showed why.

Nothing wrong with journos finding out about players availability before the start of pre season. It's their job to provide that information to the public.

We are the only club being touchy about it. Every other club, except Carlton, has made a statement being up front about whether their playing group will be fully vaxxed or suggested they still have some players on the fence. Carlton wouldnt provided an update until closer to pre season and the Liam Jones news has showed why.

Nothing wrong with journos finding out about players availability before the start of pre season. It's their job to provide that information to the public.
Yep so clubs being St.Kilda and Carlton like I said. Of course there's nothing wrong with finding out about the availability of players for pre-season. You leave out the issue in that they are disclosing the reason why - again it is a private matter that should only be made public with the players consent. And maybe the players have consented to it, who knows, but the fact remains you as a supporter are not just automatically entitled to it.

I’ve never understood this whole ‘it’s no ones business what my medical history is’ argument when it comes to the vaccine.
There are heaps of vaccines you have to show proof for around the world.

If they media asks a player, that player can reply as they see fit.
If the media asks the club, they should not respond.

It took a while for Essendon to respond.
After some initial confusion, Essendon figured out that the Covid vaccine was the one they had on tuesday...or was it the monday... no definitely tuesday, the one that went into their arms , not the one that went into their belly.

Showing proof and making it public knowledge are two very different things.

In this instance it's nobodies business if a player has or has not had the vaccine, that should be a private matter between the player, doctor, and in this case - club. I've never understood the entitlement some people feel like they have of knowing private matters of someone else.
Think you’re taking what I said out of context, I never said it had to be public knowledge.

Think you’re taking what I said out of context, I never said it had to be public knowledge.
No worries. I don't think anyone is arguing that you shouldn't show proof.

Yep so clubs being St.Kilda and Carlton like I said. Of course there's nothing wrong with finding out about the availability of players for pre-season. You leave out the issue in that they are disclosing the reason why - again it is a private matter that should only be made public with the players consent. And maybe the players have consented to it, who knows, but the fact remains you as a supporter are not just automatically entitled to it.
If a journalist goes to training and a player is missing due to an injury, they report it because it is information that supporters should know.

Reporting and informing the public that a player missing due training and games due to not fulfilling the AFL's vaccine requirement is no different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a journalist goes to training and a player is missing due to an injury, they report it because it is information that supporters should know.

Reporting and informing the public that a player missing due training and games due to not fulfilling the AFL's vaccine requirement is no different.
Haha it is completely different. One of them you get publicly lambasted for and the other you don't. Please don't try and play it off like it's exactly the same because it isn't. Nobodies business but the club, doctor and player. Not a journalist's business and certainly not a supporters.

At the risk of adding 1+1 and getting 3, I'm pretty sure Georgia Patrikios is on personal leave at the moment, announced the same day as the mandate. This may be why we haven't come out saying that all our AFL and AFLW players have been vaccinated. Fingers crossed this is as deep as the vaccination hesitancy goes, and I hope that Patrikios is being supported outside the club if my sums are correct.

Haha it is completely different. One of them you get publicly lambasted for and the other you don't. Please don't try and play it off like it's exactly the same because it isn't. Nobodies business but the club, doctor and player. Not a journalist's business and certainly not a supporters.
Both are medical related reasons for missing training or games. Both are valid stories for journalists to report to the public.

The main difference is players don't chose to get injured while not fulfilling the AFL's vaccine requirement and therefore missing games is a choice. And the players are welcome to make that choice but it is still relevant for supporters to know that choice has been made.

Yeah, they will receive some backlash from the public for making their choice but all choices have consequences. Thats just one of the draw back of being a public figure.

Both are medical related reasons for missing training or games. Both are valid stories for journalists to report to the public.

The main difference is players don't chose to get injured while not fulfilling the AFL's vaccine requirement and therefore missing games is a choice. And the players are welcome to make that choice but it is still relevant for supporters to know that choice has been made.

Yeah, they will receive some backlash from the public for making their choice but all choices have consequences. Thats just one of the draw back of being a public figure.
No worries lol, crazy stuff

At the risk of adding 1+1 and getting 3, I'm pretty sure Georgia Patrikios is on personal leave at the moment, announced the same day as the mandate. This may be why we haven't come out saying that all our AFL and AFLW players have been vaccinated. Fingers crossed this is as deep as the vaccination hesitancy goes, and I hope that Patrikios is being supported outside the club if my sums are correct.
In the same announcement, the club asked that her privacy be respected.
To me, that means not speculating or playing detective when it comes to her circumstances - but I get that not everyone would feel that way.

I'm a bit in George's camp - I think player's welfare is really important, and this is nothing like an injury. There are huge potential impacts on mental and emotional health that can result from being judged and abused by the public on this issue. We don't know what reasons they have for their hesitancy. They could be from personal experience, witnessing family reactions to the vaccines, their medical history or family medical history, or even fears that seem irrational to us.

A lot of these players are young, and need time and space to figure things out for themselves. I don't think media involvement or social media speculation helps much with that.

By the way, don't read into this anything about my opinions. I love the jab! Was one of the first in my area to get it.

To me, that means not speculating or playing detective when it comes to her circumstances - but I get that not everyone would feel that way.

I'm a bit in George's camp - I think player's welfare is really important, and this is nothing like an injury. There are huge potential impacts on mental and emotional health that can result from being judged and abused by the public on this issue. We don't know what reasons they have for their hesitancy. They could be from personal experience, witnessing family reactions to the vaccines, their medical history or family medical history, or even fears that seem irrational to us.

A lot of these players are young, and need time and space to figure things out for themselves. I don't think media involvement or social media speculation helps much with that.

By the way, don't read into this anything about my opinions. I love the jab! Was one of the first in my area to get it.
👍

I'm also fully vaxxed. Begrudgingly, but done nonetheless. But it's up to me to decide if I want to share that information or not, not Larry from down the road. You are spot on with your comments.

Really cautious of not moving this away from a discussion about football either, so yeah...I know nobody has done it yet but let's just keep it on track...

I t
ST KILDA

“We won’t be disclosing the individual vaccination status of our people to respect confidentiality around their health record, however we encourage everyone in the community who is eligible to get vaccinated and speak with their trusted medical professional about their options.”

Not exactly a reassuring statement compared to some of the other clubs
hink it’s more an issue related to the women’s team then the men’s.

Well, at the end of the day, we selected a player at the draft and consequently invested time and resources into them, only to have them elect to deem themselves unfit for the role that we have employed them to do. No matter which path you take to get there, those are the facts. It's no different to a long term injury, only its one made by decision rather than circumstance. No doubt that decision is difficult, but a decision it is nonetheless.

These things are always far more complex than can be conveyed in a paragraph on a forum. I wish Georgia all the best, but am grateful that it appears no other StKFC players see the world through her prism.

Well, at the end of the day, we selected a player at the draft and consequently invested time and resources into them, only to have them elect to deem themselves unfit for the role that we have employed them to do. No matter which path you take to get there, those are the facts. It's no different to a long term injury, only its one made by decision rather than circumstance. No doubt that decision is difficult, but a decision it is nonetheless.

These things are always far more complex than can be conveyed in a paragraph on a forum. I wish Georgia all the best, but am grateful that it appears no other StKFC players see the world through her prism.
When we employed her, she knew about all this, did she? You make it sound like she's failed to keep some kind of promise. Maybe draftees from this year onward will have this kind of thing in their contracts.
I think 9 out of 10 resisting players will get it in the end. I just think some of them want to make a point first, and need time to accept it, and realise the impact on their life if they don't. I don't really mind if a player misses an AFLW season or so over this. Hopefully not though. And hopefully fans cur them some slack so they actually come back, and don't call it quits due to the stress of it.

No different than if they don't play for "personal reasons", of if they decide to just walk away from the game.
They don't even have to tell the club if they don't want to.

Carlton are just shitty that it was not Mitch McGovern being anti vax

900k a year or something like that for a bloke who loves is burgers

Carlton are just shitty that it was not Mitch McGovern being anti vax

900k a year or something like that for a bloke who loves is burgers

In other news regarding Carlton, they are campaigning for a new version of the Aussie rules football.

85d01dd486145cb4c3199324c3cd2bd3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back