B: Logue - Pearce - Ryan
HB: Young - Cox - Walker
C: Fredrick - Brayshaw - Henry
HF: Switkowski - Tabs - Walters
FF: Lobb - Treacy - Schultz

Ruck: Darcy - Fyfe - Cerra
Bench: Chapman - Mundy - Serong - Aish

Unlucky/Next Up: Sturt, Crowden, Valente, Hamling, Hughes

Backline is set up for the next 5-8 seasons with Pearce being the oldest at 26. Pearce and Cox have all the makings of an outstanding FB/CHB duo if they can stay healthy. Logue fills the key role of covering both smalls & talls where needed which frees up Luke Ryan to do Luke Ryan things and run the backline. Walker covers the smalls whilst providing dash off halfback and Young is just exceptional (also needs to stay healthy :'()

Midfield was a strength this season and should only get stronger with the younger generation developing bigger bodies and gaining more experience at this level. Fyfe & Mundy lead the old-guard with Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra hopefully taking that final step. Fredrick and Henry on the wing offers us genuine pace and class that we dreamed the Hills could of been. Through in Walters and Switta to rotate between Wing/HFF & Forward Pocket and that's a variety of problems to throw at any team. Oh and I don't have to mention Darcy do I? He's a monster and only 23.

Forward line, the bane of our existence. Taberner playing true CHF plays to his strengths and gives us a three pronged outlet with himself, Darcy and Fyfe to kick to if we need a contest. He can also rotate with Treacy if the matchup's better or to get one of them into the game. Treacy plays the 2nd tall to Lobb in the Forward Fifty. If they end up giving Lobb then 3rd defender instead, just play him out of the goal square (and don't kick it to his feet/knees FFS). Darcy and Lobb rotates when needed, but that's expected. Schultz as our primary small forward next to who ever is resting out of Switta/Fredrick/Walters/Henry to round it out.

Mundy and Serong start on the bench but honestly switch them with any mid based on form/injury/matchup. Aish covers backline and midfield depth also. Chapman there for Key Defender rotations (also the reason why Cox is fielded over Hamling. If say Lobb or Tabs goes down we can swing him forward, throw Chapman in to the back and reshuffle).

Would love to see Sturt, Crowden or Valente force their way into the team where possible since they've all shown something. Exciting times ahead if we've given a fair run with injuries 🤞

FB: Walker, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Young, Pearce, Cox
C: Aish, Brayshaw, Fredrick
HF: Henry, Lobb, Logue
FF: Walters, Tabs, Treacy
R: Darcy, Mundy, Fyfe

Int: Serong, Chapman, Hughes, Schulz

- Mentioned before, If the team can finally get the defence fully fit, Logue moves forward. He offers more offensively and has the swagger beating others. Him and Cox will be useful up forward. Logue is fast, can mark and believe he’s better suited with the game up forward. Down back, he’s always trying to be the hero marking however he’s being punished with goals against as a consequence of his offensive traits

- Wilson is probably done at Fremantle. Can’t see him getting back into the side.

- midfield is interesting. Cerra leaves, and many will battle for his spot. Banfield can be on the bench and rotate through. Fyfe and Mundy are at the wrong age group to be full time mids but unfortunately it is the way the list management set the club at.

- No more then 2-3 smalls. No more. Switta and Schulz is enough, with Colyer on the bench. Something has to be done with the forward line.

- Frederick and Henry are primed for the wing. Freddy can get a chance for a full pre seaosn. Better then freaking Acres, Tucker and Bewley.

- Lobb is the key here. But would be great if the club trade and or draft for several other tall forwards. Anyone. Schache, Weideman. Something.

Indication of where we are it is that most of these best 22's have 5-6 players who have played less than 20 games. (i.e. less than one season of AFL football).

Its probably a good thing backing youth, but to beat the top sides they all have to play consistently on the same day along with the 15 or so of the others.

Last edited:
Can we get our best team on the park?

Defense:
Pearce
Hamling
Cox
Logue - can play on smalls
Young
Wilson
Ryan

Ruck/Tall Forwards
Darcy
Lobb
Taberner
Treacy

Pure Midfielders
Serong
Brayshaw
Mundy
Aish

High Forwards/Midfielders
Fyfe
Walters
Henry
Frederick
Pick 8

Pure forwards
Schultz
Switta

Unlucky
Colyer, Walker, Sturt, Tucker, Crowden, Hughes, pick 10, Chapman

Depth
Meek, Acres, Blakely,

Last edited:
Indication of where we are it is that most of these best 22's have 5-6 players who have played less than 20 games. (i.e. less than one season of AFL football).

Its probably a good thing backing youth, but to beat the top sides they all have to play consistently on the same day along with the 15 or so of the others.

Yep, hell of a lot of guessing, speculation and in some cases wishful thinking.

FB: Ryan Hamling Logue
HB: Young Pearce Aish
C: Walker Brayshaw Chapman
HF: Sturt Cox Henry
FF: Schultz Tabs Treacy

R: Darcy Fyfe Serong

I: Mundy Lobb Tucker Walters

Best depth we’ve ever had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We say this every season… We’re clearly behind this year’s squad based off losing Cerra alone. Improvement from enough of the squad could change that but that’s only an assumption at this stage.

For me, I won’t even try until just before Christmas (see how trade period goes, players coming back to PS injured etc.) but the issues I have with picking the team is:
1. There’s too many defenders to pick from.
2. If I was to pick now I’d want to put someone like Clark into the team. Bar Aish, others on our list performing as a winger for a full game is a pipe dream at this stage.
3. Too many HFFs and not enough genuine forwards.
4. Whilst the best 22 inside mids look okay I do find it slightly concerning I’m picking a best 22 then I’m left with guys who haven’t played an AFL game and/or haven’t played as an inside mid. Surely we should have one as an emergency if we have ‘good depth’.

We say this every season… We’re clearly behind this year’s squad based off losing Cerra alone. Improvement from enough of the squad could change that but that’s only an assumption at this stage.

For me, I won’t even try until just before Christmas (see how trade period goes, players coming back to PS injured etc.) but the issues I have with picking the team is:
1. There’s too many defenders to pick from.
2. If I was to pick now I’d want to put someone like Clark into the team. Bar Aish, others on our list performing as a winger for a full game is a pipe dream at this stage.
3. Too many HFFs and not enough genuine forwards.
4. Whilst the best 22 inside mids look okay I do find it slightly concerning I’m picking a best 22 then I’m left with guys who haven’t played an AFL game and/or haven’t played as an inside mid. Surely we should have one as an emergency if we have ‘good depth’.
Blakely

We’re clearly behind this year’s squad based off losing Cerra alone.
This is not how it works though. We played the youngest and second youngest side in the AFL for the last few rounds of the season and pretty much were 4th (or less) youngest/least experienced all year. That means we've been pumping games into all our youngsters of whom Cerra is just one.

The difference between Cerra and the midfielder we replace him in the B22 is what we are losing in output (plus injury depth). In reality it probably won't be as much as people assume given Brayshaw and Serong are also two of the best young mids in the comp and we've had quite a few mids playing in other roles so Cerra could play mid.

But more importantly we stand to gain by the incremental improvement of between half and two thirds of our best 22 who have yet to hit their ceilings. I'd bet the vast majority of Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Frederick, Treacy, Henry, Chapman, Meek, Walker, Western and O'Driscoll will take another step next year. Sturt too if he can overcome constant injuries, and Valente depending on what is going on in his life.

Our best 22 under 24 still paints a decent picture of future development imo...

B Young ~ Logue ~ ?
HB Walker ~ Cox ~ Chapman
C Frederick ~ ? ~ Henry
HF Western ~ ? ~ Crowden
F Schultz ~ Treacy ~ Sturt
R Darcy ~ Brayshaw ~ Serong
I/C Banfield ~ O'Driscoll ~ Valente ~ Meek

Those in bold (12 players) seemed automatic best 22 when fit and available (we could argue around the fringes of this grouping but the point still stands).

Is the future guaranteed to be rosy? No but if we do well in the trade period and draft well using the extra currency gained by trading out Cerra, address some gaps, tinker with the coaching (thanks Suma!) then we are still building a good list that should get better despite a very good young player leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Cerra leaving I think its a simple short term fix. Walters goes back into the middle for large portions of the game. It will make him happier, make him produce better football and we wont lose too much in the short term. That gives us two years to develop Cerra's longer term replacement.

The other thing is that Serong was used as the defensive 3rd midfielder for a large part of the year - which was a waste of his talents but necessary for midfield balance. Serong can move into the more aggressive role Cerra played while Banfield/Crowden/Tucker play his role in there.

We'll be marginally worse off in the short term but only worse off in the medium to long term if the kid we draft to replace him is a dud

With Cerra leaving I think its a simple short term fix. Walters goes back into the middle for large portions of the game. It will make him happier, make him produce better football and we wont lose too much in the short term. That gives us two years to develop Cerra's longer term replacement.

The other thing is that Serong was used as the defensive 3rd midfielder for a large part of the year - which was a waste of his talents but necessary for midfield balance. Serong can move into the more aggressive role Cerra played while Banfield/Crowden/Tucker play his role in there.

We'll be marginally worse off in the short term but only worse off in the medium to long term if the kid we draft to replace him is a dud
100%

Short term we can cover.

Long term is the issue.

100%

Short term we can cover.

Long term is the issue.
This is a large part of the reason I wasnt keen for him to sign on for 2 years. Maybe its hindsight bias but the dude was clearly leaving at some point the next 6 years. 2 years would have just put us 2 further years back in developing his replacement AND Walters/Fyfe/Mundy are almost all done then so we are in even deeper s**t. Leaving was the 2nd best result behind signing on for 4+ years

This is a large part of the reason I wasnt keen for him to sign on for 2 years. Maybe its hindsight bias but the dude was clearly leaving at some point the next 6 years. 2 years would have just put us 2 further years back in developing his replacement AND Walters/Fyfe/Mundy are almost all done then so we are in even deeper sh*t. Leaving was the 2nd best result behind signing on for 4+ years
I would personally would have signed him for 2 years, then in trade him under contract unless he signed a 4 year extension.

It's a decent second option but Mitch should take Cerra's role.

Valente looms as the potential replacement for Cerra right? Good user, duel sides, just has had a horror run of injuries. Unless he’s leaving too…

Not particularly interested in young in the midfield.

His 2 biggest weapons, 2 of the most dangerous abilities in AFL, are intercept marking and his Lazer left foot in space. Those 2 weapons together are better than the sum of parts.

To me he's shown that he can work in less space, but not nearly as damagingly. His 50m flat darts through the corredore require a bit of wind up that require time and space to execute.

I know he's taller than our mids in that age group but have a look at his brother or family. He's not going to fill out, he's going to be wiry. He can still be strong but you need some mass to play inside.

when he came to the club he said he'd been working with a personal trainer for a couple years.

Scope to be the best intercept rebounder in the comp

Mentioned in the media that Young should be perfect candidate to replace Cerra. Actually a solid idea. Third season in 2022. Has a solid pre season and can build that tank for midfield/wing
Don't quote me but I am pretty sure he was drafted with good endurance. Shouldn't be too hard to get him up to midfield speed, even if only for half a game next year.
Valente looms as the potential replacement for Cerra right? Good user, duel sides, just has had a horror run of injuries. Unless he’s leaving too…
Nobody knows with him. I am as big of a fan as there is but for whatever reason, can't stay out there to build good form. At this point I have assumed we'll get nothing from him and if we do thats a big bonus.

B Ryan Pearce Logue
HB Wilson Cox Young
C Frederick Fyfe Chapman
HF Switkowski Treacy Colyer
F Schultz Tabener Sturt
R Darcy Brayshaw Serong
I/C Mundy Walters Acres Aish
Sub Walker

Emergency Henry Tucker Lobb

Let's see how much this changes in Trade Period - Who comes in?Who goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back