Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps Clarkson pushed McEvoy (and the team) more than they’d like in pursuit of creating a winning culture.

Since Ratten has taken control, we’ve looked flat and unfit on field. Even the club admits that.

Would it be so bad to have a guy in charge who’s goal is to win games, rather than being Mr Popular?

My concern is that time doesn't stand still. What was innovation 5 years ago is old fashioned now. Does he have the passion to reload and go again?

do you reckon having no Howard helped us as he seems to be the main one that bombs the kick-outs down the line?

I think it probably did. I can sort of see why Port wanted him up forward. He's a good defender but not a great defender. He will often punch when he could mark and the ball spills back into dangerous spots so that we are under siege.

Yeah the short kicking was clearly different and imo worked better.

In the Collingwood match we had so many back that there was not much ahead of the kicker except out numbers. They pressured us into long clearing kicking which would come back at us over and over. We only got back into the game by winning centre clearance that gave us a chance to attack for a change.

I doubt he'll sit around and wait for the Tassie job to come up. That will still be years away.
Hard to say. Sheedy did a year prior to GWS launching so is Clarko starts in 2023 for the 2024 season l reckon it's possible. All the "big" clubs seem to have contracted coaches too, so unless the AFL bribe him to the GC options are short especially if they make finals. Geelong perhaps.

Hard to say. Sheedy did a year prior to GWS launching so is Clarko starts in 2023 for the 2024 season l reckon it's possible. All the "big" clubs seem to have contracted coaches too, so unless the AFL bribe him to the GC options are short especially if they make finals. Geelong perhaps.
To tell you the truth I wouldn't want Clarkson , Lyon , Malthouse or any of those types - they come across as arrogant and oppressive and really when you have the cattle and you can coach there is no reason you can't win flags and really this makes Lyons coaching look average at best with the players he had in his teams.
They has been fall out at Hawthorn with players with Clarkson , the reason he left of course , Mitchell ,Big boy and a few others didn't really say to much positive about Clarko and some times when these guys get a Messiah following they get to big for there boots , the same goes with Lyon when things are going well everything fine , but when they don't it unsettles everything , you only have to look at Neale and Langdon who left Fremantle because of the toxic atmosphere at the club.
Malthouse , I don't to say to much about him / the fall out from his time at Carlton finished his career.

So really I'd rather have Ratten and his team , he just doesn't seem like a w/ker like the 2 I've mentioned and he has the players support especially after a bad year when the pressure was on the squad seems to of got a lot closer where you look at what happened with Clarkson at Hawthorn and Lyon at Fremantle both clubs become toxic.

I may be totally wrong but this just my opinion.

We all know and Ratten knows he has to be playing finals this year or he is gone and if we crash and burn and he gets the sack like what usually happens I would rather get a Voss , McCrae , Longmeyer type than some these over hyped coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To tell you the truth I wouldn't want Clarkson , Lyon , Malthouse or any of those types - they come across as arrogant and oppressive and really when you have the cattle and you can coach there is no reason you can't win flags and really this makes Lyons coaching look average at best with the players he had in his teams.
They has been fall out at Hawthorn with players with Clarkson , the reason he left of course , Mitchell ,Big boy and a few others didn't really say to much positive about Clarko and some times when these guys get a Messiah following they get to big for there boots , the same goes with Lyon when things are going well everything fine , but when they don't it unsettles everything , you only have to look at Neale and Langdon who left Fremantle because of the toxic atmosphere at the club.
Malthouse , I don't to say to much about him / the fall out from his time at Carlton finished his career.

So really I'd rather have Ratten and his team , he just doesn't seem like a w/ker like the 2 I've mentioned and he has the players support especially after a bad year when the pressure was on the squad seems to of got a lot closer where you look at what happened with Clarkson at Hawthorn and Lyon at Fremantle both clubs become toxic.

We all know and Ratten knows he has to be playing finals this year or he is gone and if we crash and burn and he gets the sack like what usually happens I would rather get a Voss , McCrae , Longmeyer type than some these over hyped coaches.
Finnis was on radio a couple of weeks ago and said that Ratten's tenure at the club and his extension would not just be based on wins/losses. It would also be about other things ,

. Finnis obviously would not go into lots of detail but he did say , it included,

injuries in more injuries meant less good players playing , less likely to win games.

Young kids into the team. It is easier probably to pick a Kent or Geary, then it is is time to pick Owens, NWM, etc

Etc

Finnis ended the conversation by saying he was sure Ratten would coach for a long time.

People should not just assume that we have to make the 8 for Ratts to keep his job.

Lyon caused a drastic improvement to StKilda's list.
Thommo had tried to flood by using fairly simple , numbers back methods, and it hadn't worked.

I think i read that when Lyon arrived, he divided the ground at moorabbin like a grid, and essentially drilled "zoning" into the players.

He seemed to become more and more defensive over time though, where i felt the team was most effective at some point during the 2009 season, when there was still a strong attacking element in the game.

Anyway at the time he had the method/vision and the ability to achieve it.
I'm not sure that would translate to a relevant vision in today's game.
I'm also not sure that his coaching style works well for young inexperienced players.

Its important to structure the coaching role. Lyon was never a great people manager, or recruiter. ( Ludicrous fixation with Adreas Everett ).
I think smart clubs keep those roles to a degree separate to the coach.

Are we starting to see some results from Ratten drilling his plan into the players?

Lyon caused a drastic improvement to StKilda's list.
Thommo had tried to flood by using fairly simple , numbers back methods, and it hadn't worked.

I think i read that when Lyon arrived, he divided the ground at moorabbin like a grid, and essentially drilled "zoning" into the players.

He seemed to become more and more defensive over time though, where i felt the team was most effective at some point during the 2009 season, when there was still a strong attacking element in the game.

Anyway at the time he had the method/vision and the ability to achieve it.
I'm not sure that would translate to a relevant vision in today's game.
I'm also not sure that his coaching style works well for young inexperienced players.

Its important to structure the coaching role. Lyon was never a great people manager, or recruiter. ( Ludicrous fixation with Adreas Everett ).
I think smart clubs keep those roles to a degree separate to the coach.

Are we starting to see some results from Ratten drilling his plan into the players?
It's very hard to untangle whether Lyon underperformed with a brilliant list or whether Lyon's coaching made our players look elite.

It's very hard to untangle whether Lyon underperformed with a brilliant list or whether Lyon's coaching made our players look elite.
I think he was a solid coach, but I don't think he was a tactical mastermind however.

He had a lot of stars at both Saints and Freo and got the best out of a few role players, but ultimately failed to foster any sort of development out of younger players at both clubs and it set them both back because of it.

Have to give them some credit since round one.

Some of the moves drew a lot of ire from us, but they're proving to be right. Lienert a prime example, has fitted right in and playing beautifully, really complementing the backline.

I was one that wanted Sharman in the side from the start but you have to say the forward line is functioning beautifully.

Seem to be getting more out of the players this year and most importantly there is a synergy amongst the group. Massive tick to the coaches early in the season.

Good luck to Ladey taking the reigns on Saturday.

I think he was a solid coach, but I don't think he was a tactical mastermind however.

He had a lot of stars at both Saints and Freo and got the best out of a few role players, but ultimately failed to foster any sort of development out of younger players at both clubs and it set them both back because of it.
he had really great buy in from his senior players though, they all loved him

Have to give them some credit since round one.

Some of the moves drew a lot of ire from us, but they're proving to be right. Lienert a prime example, has fitted right in and playing beautifully, really complementing the backline.

I was one that wanted Sharman in the side from the start but you have to say the forward line is functioning beautifully.

Seem to be getting more out of the players this year and most importantly there is a synergy amongst the group. Massive tick to the coaches early in the season.

Good luck to Ladey taking the reigns on Saturday.
Can't knock selections but let's wait for playing against a good side.

Can't knock selections but let's wait for playing against a good side.
Fair enough, and there's no doubt coaches around the league will be trying to work out how to counter our current play. It will be fascinating to see how we match up against the top teams. I think we'd be stirring some interest right now amongst the Melbournes, Brisbanes and Geelongs. I see us right in the top four mix.

But basically I think almost every game in the AFL is challenging and most wins are good wins.

Fair enough, and there's no doubt coaches around the league will be trying to work out how to counter our current play. It will be fascinating to see how we match up against the top teams. I think we'd be stirring some interest right now amongst the Melbournes, Brisbanes and Geelongs. I see us right in the top four mix.

But basically I think almost every game in the AFL is challenging and most wins are good wins.

I think we could make top 4 if everything goes right but there are probably 10 sides capable of taking the spots from 4th to 15th. We are in the easy part of our fixture right now and hopefully that gives us confidence and momentum that sticks once the sides we meet go up in quality. The Hawks match was probably the only 4 quarter performance so far and even then there was a come back patch that the Hawks didn't capitalise on through inaccuracy.

The thing going for us right now is that we have injuries and aren't playing to full capacity and still winning. As I've said before there aren't many sides you would be scared of meeting at the moment. It seems like a soft era with Melbourne the dominant side but really not that exceptional compared to some of the recent dynasty lists.

Sides in our group would be Dogs, Tigers, Freo, GWS, GC, Carlton, Sydney, Port, Essendon.

Challenging from below that are Collingwood, WCE, Adelaide, if everything goes right they could jump up into the bottom of the 8.

North should finish last.

Brisbane, Melbourne and Geelong all look top 4 bound.

Of the sides above us and around our level there aren't many stand outs.. The Dogs were the second best side last year but they look injured and rattled. All the clubs besides them in our pool look like we could take them out. The sides above us in the top 4 pool would all start favourites but none are exceptionally better than us. If we play any in Melbourne we are probably only starting just behind them.

I think we could make top 4 if everything goes right but there are probably 10 sides capable of taking the spots from 4th to 15th. We are in the easy part of our fixture right now and hopefully that gives us confidence and momentum that sticks once the sides we meet go up in quality. The Hawks match was probably the only 4 quarter performance so far and even then there was a come back patch that the Hawks didn't capitalise on through inaccuracy.

The thing going for us right now is that we have injuries and aren't playing to full capacity and still winning. As I've said before there aren't many sides you would be scared of meeting at the moment. It seems like a soft era with Melbourne the dominant side but really not that exceptional compared to some of the recent dynasty lists.

Sides in our group would be Dogs, Tigers, Freo, GWS, GC, Carlton, Sydney, Port, Essendon.

Challenging from below that are Collingwood, WCE, Adelaide, if everything goes right they could jump up into the bottom of the 8.

Of the sides above us and around our level there aren't many stand outs.. The Dogs were the second best side last year but they look injured and rattled. All the clubs besides them in our pool look like we could take them out. The sides above us in the top 4 pool would all start favourites but none are exceptionally better than us. If we play any in Melbourne we are probably only starting just behind them.
Totally agree, things are very open this year with very few standout teams. You feel our best is good enough against almost anyone in the comp.

The challenge for the coaches will be maintaining the performance level and ultimately improving it. Getting players back should help. I think opposition sides will try to turn our games into a dour slog, Geelong wrote the playbook on us a couple of years ago. That will be another challenge.

Good assessment gringo. Looking at the ladder now there's still a couple of pretenders in the top 8 (of which we may be one) but the interesting thing is the number of teams on 4 or less points after 4 games.
Of those 7 teams only the Dogs Vs Roos game guarantees one of them will elevate out of that group, but the rest are likely to stay on 4 points after this round.
That pretty much writes off 6 teams already and there's some big names included in the group. I'd stick the Hawks in ther too and there might be a couple of others after this round.
We might be seeing a very very early stratification of the ladder this year and the vultures will be circling over Port and GWS' lists.
Like you said, this looks like a good year to be playing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back