Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree , let's see how things look at the end of the year - I'm pretty sure Lethlean told him of a future contract but he just needs to get us to finals first.
If we are traveling well he will be extended ASAP I think. Would be cruel to make him wait, if we are tracking for finals then we will extend him. Reckon he's showing that he can coach well, the idea that he is meh doesn't make much sense to me if we make finals this year then it will be 2/3.

If we are traveling well he will be extended ASAP I think. Would be cruel to make him wait, if we are tracking for finals then we will extend him. Reckon he's showing that he can coach well, the idea that he is meh doesn't make much sense to me if we make finals this year then it will be 2/3.
agree

Ratten has shown far more ball's than Richardson ever did , he is willing to make changes when needed and will get rid of players if the don't pull there weight , saying he hasn't done much to me is far from the truth - under him we are developing talent and best of all he is not a arrogant wan/er like a lot of the big name coaches are who get a swollen head when they win a flag.

I think he's been given a heap of off field support and the list looks a heap better. Our players are a lot better this year but he's been found out a couple of times. To me he's an adequate coach but nothing special.

The kids that he's developed are... King looks on track, Clark looks okay but a bit slow to come on, Bytel is lagging, Byrnes is in the VFL, Coops VFL, Leo VFL, NAZ looking good, Windy looks like he's got something to work with etc.

I think most of our best players are still a bit of a foreign legion of semi developed ring ins and players already playing under Richo. We seem to play less kids than most other sides.

He should be expected to perform or we should look elsewhere IMO, no-one is going to come poaching him.

I think he's been given a heap of off field support and the list looks a heap better. Our players are a lot better this year but he's been found out a couple of times. To me he's an adequate coach but nothing special.

The kids that he's developed are... King looks on track, Clark looks okay but a bit slow to come on, Bytel is lagging, Byrnes is in the VFL, Coops VFL, Leo VFL, NAZ looking good, Windy looks like he's got something to work with etc.

I think most of our best players are still a bit of a foreign legion of semi developed ring ins and players already playing under Richo. We seem to play less kids than most other sides.

He should be expected to perform or we should look elsewhere IMO, no-one is going to come poaching him.
Gringo I rate him highly from what he has achieved - he has brought the best out of just about everyone in the team - he even brought Ross back from the dead.

Gringo I rate him highly from what he has achieved - he has brought the best out of just about everyone in the team - he even brought Ross back from the dead.

He also played Ross and Battle out of position to turn them s**t though. He's been okay but he's hardly a star coach.

He also played Ross and Battle out of position to turn them s**t though. He's been okay but he's hardly a star coach.
Bit harsh there Gringo , Ross had a problem with effort and delivery , Battle sure he never settled him in one position but he thought he could use his massive endurance and it never came to be so he has put him back to fix position.

People think they can go out and grab something better and there isn't - Clarkson was given a star studded team and he did a great job but if you don't have the A grade cattle it is a different story , as was shown and now he is rated as a messiah and to tell you the truth he so on him self now and by all accounts when he left the Hawks a lot of the players were not that upset.
Lyon's the same - (I really admired Lyon but at the end was just for himself in my view) was given teams that should of one flags but never won one and he is another who needs to deflate his head before walking through a door now - Neale and Langdon left Fremantle because of him they say.
Another is Scott from the Cats , he is a good coach but really with the list he has had over the years they should of won a hell of a lot more flags, even he has got to the point where coaches can't work with him.

Management would be happy to not have a coach who wants it his way or the highway attitude and gets along with everyone and gets the best out of the cattle he has and doesn't create unwanted headlines.

People have to be careful what they wish for.

I also believe it is not just the coach , it is all the coaches and tactical advisors.

Clark looked to be coming on very nicely in 2020 but had managed just 13 from a possible 30 games since. This might be the reason he seems to be coming on slow.

Higgins was also in the same draft and is in AA discussions

I definitely don't have an issue with the way the kids are developing. Most of those others you have mentioned are late draft picks or rookies.

But he will be judged on wins and losses and rightfully so

Interesting on 360 tonight when even Clarko said we pulled the wrong lever the way we started the game against the Dees. ( veiled criticism of the coaches?) He said when we reverted to our usual style the difference was marked.

Pretty much implied we shouldn’t start the same way against the Cats.

Interesting on 360 tonight when even Clarko said we pulled the wrong lever the way we started the game against the Dees. ( veiled criticism of the coaches?) He said when we reverted to our usual style the difference was marked.

That would be why Ratten hasn’t had contract talks yet.

Our season so far hasn’t proven anything.

That would be why Ratten hasn’t had contract talks yet.

Our season so far hasn’t proven anything.
100%. I’m in no rush. No one’s chasing him, and we need to be close to certain to making finals first.

You hope we sack him then?

Why sack him? Why not just wait, he's got to prove himself still. Signing him early just look irresponsible. If we hit the bye in the top 2 and GWS are circling that's different but right now we are still a possibility to go top four or miss finals. Until we see what he's done well we shouldn't rush.

100%. I’m in no rush. No one’s chasing him, and we need to be close to certain to making finals first.

If we have a clean injury list I think we should be looking at top 4 as a minimum myself. We won't get an easier run than this year. Apart from Melbourne no-one really stands out. A pretty ordinary Freo is the second best side and a good but not dominant Brisbane look the third best. We should be able to get a top 4 spot with this list against this competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get to the bye at 8 & 3 and we should be looking at extending him

Get to the bye at 8 & 3 and we should be looking at extending him

That's probably fair that he gets a bit more security if he can get us top 4 at the half way point but I'd still be waiting a bit longer just in case. I'd wait until about round 16 or 17 after we play Sydney and Brisbane then meet Carlton. We should know from that where we are going this year. We have a couple of soft targets before the bye. North, Crows and Essendon should all be easy kills and not prove much.

This will sound harsh but if we can sign clarkson I don’t think anything short of a flag should save ratten. Personally I’m over waiting for a flag to fall into our laps, I don‘t see us winning one with ratts but I do with Clarkson. You wouldn’t say no to the leagues best mid so why say no to the best coach.

This will sound harsh but if we can sign clarkson I don’t think anything short of a flag should save ratten. Personally I’m over waiting for a flag to fall into our laps, I don‘t see us winning one with ratts but I do with Clarkson. You wouldn’t say no to the leagues best mid so why say no to the best coach.
to say you see us winning a flag with Clarkson is ridiculous and based on zero factual evidence at all

It's going to be an awful year to be chasing a replacement coach if we don't decide to go on with Ratten

The first domino has fallen with the Giants. West Coast probably won't be too far behind them, Noble is under the pump as is Dew and Hinkley

i'd love simmo

That's interesting because it is exactly what a lot of us were suggesting after the game. Trying to change the way we play against the best sides has never worked and it was proven again.

Why sack him? Why not just wait, he's got to prove himself still. Signing him early just look irresponsible. If we hit the bye in the top 2 and GWS are circling that's different but right now we are still a possibility to go top four or miss finals. Until we see what he's done well we shouldn't rush.

spot on... just need to wait and see the results

Its a rare player that propels their team forward in their first year.
I still consider Max King to be youth, and he IS taking us forward.
Its a pity that Clark and Coff haven't been able to contribute, but Higgens is from that same draft and is doing well.
still find it quite amazing that Higgins is so young in his career. Especially with that brain injury that sidelined him for a while too. Still so much improvement in him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back