Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside run killed us as well as not being able to run out games. Fitness levels started out great but gradually got worse as the season wore on and the fact we started bringing in players just back from injury who compounded the situation.
We started very fit and got a jump on the comp because of it. As the others caught up we lost our edge and had nothing to fall back on again same as the previous years. Opposition teams know that we play a congested style and they just need to hold us up for 5 seconds and all our boys stop running because there's no peripheral structures to work around the congestion. That's when the guys start chipping sideways.
We're a 1 trick pony with an old trick that everyone knows about. It's the same 1 trick that Ratts had at Carlton, demonstrating that he hasn't learned any new tricks from his time at the Hawks.
Rath the "guru" was supposed to be the IP man but actually his career is analytics, not necessarily conducive with novel concepts.
The two of these blokes need to be removed from the IP area and in truth need to go outright. Neither have demonstrated any professional success in their current areas of responsibility and have shown over the last 3 seasons that they are not capable of development or change. Both are occupying positions above their stations.
We are wasting time, again.

We started very fit and got a jump on the comp because of it. As the others caught up we lost our edge and had nothing to fall back on again same as the previous years. Opposition teams know that we play a congested style and they just need to hold us up for 5 seconds and all our boys stop running because there's no peripheral structures to work around the congestion. That's when the guys start chipping sideways.
We're a 1 trick pony with an old trick that everyone knows about. It's the same 1 trick that Ratts had at Carlton, demonstrating that he hasn't learned any new tricks from his time at the Hawks.
Rath the "guru" was supposed to be the IP man but actually his career is analytics, not necessarily conducive with novel concepts.
The two of these blokes need to be removed from the IP area and in truth need to go outright. Neither have demonstrated any professional success in their current areas of responsibility and have shown over the last 3 seasons that they are not capable of development or change. Both are occupying positions above their stations.
We are wasting time, again.

We collapsed when we didn't have Steele and King lost his confidence and converted poorly. When you have one avenue to goal and he loses his mojo it's hard to compete. Snags went from looking like Stevie J in the first part of the season to Stevie Wright as well.

Would you imagine we’d have already identified someone and be talking to them ? Interesting that I don’t think we really announced mcglyn as midfield coach last year and it happened on the quiet … wonder if they’ll do the same with a Batchelor or someone ?

I’d like them to talk to hird.. many have said if he wants to be senior coach again he has to get in as an assistant somewhere

Would you imagine we’d have already identified someone and be talking to them ? Interesting that I don’t think we really announced mcglyn as midfield coach last year and it happened on the quiet … wonder if they’ll do the same with a Batchelor or someone ?

I’d like them to talk to hird.. many have said if he wants to be senior coach again he has to get in as an assistant somewhere

I don't mind as long as we keep the medicine cabinet locked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We collapsed when we didn't have Steele and King lost his confidence and converted poorly. When you have one avenue to goal and he loses his mojo it's hard to compete. Snags went from looking like Stevie J in the first part of the season to Stevie Wright as well.
Just think about Melb , they have a very good squad with May , Gawn , Oliver , Petracca and lost both there finals - I would suggest the coach is average - they have waited years for the stars to align and if they don't win next years flag , is the players or the coach at fault.

Just think about Melb , they have a very good squad with May , Gawn , Oliver , Petracca and lost both there finals - I would suggest the coach is average - they have waited years for the stars to align and if they don't win next years flag , is the players or the coach at fault.

I could be both. They have a pretty simple game plan that is easy to work out. It's so well drilled and have a lot of high end talent that can break games open but if you don't adapt and others work you out you are vulnerable. A few injuries and some form can also be the difference. Their tall forwards couldn't get anything going this year and without McDonald available they lacked some fire power.

They should be top 4 for at least a couple of more seasons but will need some luck and good coaching to win another.

He gets a bowl of grapes.

Tom Joad approves of this post.

Coincidentally we have been in our own dust bowl like drought on the footy field for the last decade.

In the second half of the season nearly everything fell apart. Steele holds so much up in the mids that when he went down we seemed to look like we were being bombarded.

I remember the Crows game where without Steele we only escaped with a win due to King converting. They had us on the ropes all night. The midfield was unable to hold up with out him and just let the ball get ripped out all night.
I thought it was Jones coming into the midfield that played a massive part in us spiralling away. He played so many ineffectual, and even unhelpful, minutes while we hoped for him to find that burst that we lacked. I'm not knocking the decision as I was in favour of bringing him into a team that was performing well for his point of difference.
But when Steele went down and we still had Jones playing the way he was we stuffed it up.
And I'm not having a crack at Jones. We all understand that there were issues outside of football for him. Just talking about the circumstance for the team.

It's been written on here a million times over the past decade. Midfield isn't good enough, or certainly isn't consistent enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back