2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bowes will come back to haunt us, I think he has class but heaven knows I hope you’re right
If Bowes turns out to be a Will Brodie, so be it. Both deserve(d) a run in the midfield if that’s what they want. I’m ok with players leaving and playing well, especially if they were not getting a game and are overpaid to do so. We’ve had so many high picks that it’s bound to happen, just like at GWS.

Tbh, I think the pick 7 might hurt us more. We cop enough for Pick 2 for Weller. Imagine if pick 7 becomes an AA gun…

Bowes will be a solid player who plays 200 games, but I don't think he has the hurt factor like Anderson.
He is too slow, Brodie definitely has Bowesy covered in speed. I love Jack but he doesn't fit our high pressure, quick ball movement game plan. He doesn't have the leg speed.

If Bowes turns out to be a Will Brodie, so be it. Both deserve(d) a run in the midfield if that’s what they want. I’m ok with players leaving and playing well, especially if they were not getting a game and are overpaid to do so. We’ve had so many high picks that it’s bound to happen, just like at GWS.

Tbh, I think the pick 7 might hurt us more. We cop enough for Pick 2 for Weller. Imagine if pick 7 becomes an AA gun…
Why not just package 25,31 with Bowes or 25,2023r2. Clubs would still love those picks, enables North to get Griffin Logue, Geelong to keep its 2023r1 and use 25 if needed for Henry from collingwood.

Depth is important to cover injuries. But I also see it as integral to development of younger players in the VFL. Actually playing solid football at that tier is great for players like Andrew, Flanders and Hollands, or even Ace, Brock and Moyle etc. rather than getting belted each week…

But yes, Fiorini and Bowes out hurt, but don’t cripple at all. If they both left we can still pick up cheaper midfield options like we did with Constable or even a Tsitas who can play a similar role. Lower ceiling, but get the job done and play for minimum wage.
Thing is we have depth. Miller, Anderson and Rowell will be the main mid's, plus there is Swallow, Davies, Hollands, and Flanders to get more time. Constable is there too (don't rate titsas, but he's fine in the VFL), plus maybe another high draft pick this year. A bit inexperienced maybe. But way more upside than Fiorini and Bowes who both have had a decent chance to prove themselves and are on too much coin to play VFL.

Re: Pick 7 - I've come too terms with this. I think the key point is you can only have so many high drafts at a time. They simply cost too much after their rookie contract and combine that with needing to pay overs to retain players and the salary cap bursts. We can't keep adding 3 a season and then retain them all.

It's a promising sign that King and Luko didn't re-sign on massive coin and the club wouldn't pay overs for Rankine, maybe the penny has dropped.

Just think of pick 7 being used on Jed Walters next year if it makes it easier. The melting over him being an academy pick from other supporters will be glorious if he's as good as we hope.

Why not just package 25,31 with Bowes or 25,2023r2. Clubs would still love those picks, enables North to get Griffin Logue, Geelong to keep its 2023r1 and use 25 if needed for Henry from collingwood.
Would those picks be enough to entice a club into taking Bowes salary?

Think the club are trying to give Bowes as many choices as possible.

Would those picks be enough to entice a club into taking Bowes salary?

Think the club are trying to give Bowes as many choices as possible.

Dangle 7 to get as much interest as possible and then there is always the chance that you can water it down to other multiple picks depending on the needs of all clubs involved.

"With Lachie Hunter currently weighing his options as a contracted Western Bulldogs midfielder, Gold Coast should be making a play for the veteran. With Brandon Ellis the Suns only player who has experienced premiership success, Hunter would provide the Suns with a second player who has been a part of premiership success and a veteran who can add to their gameday 22."

Not much point moving on Bowes and Fiorini just to take Lachie Hunter (on a big contract). These articles often don't make much sense. Not sure he passes the No-Dickheads policy either.

Knightmare is an idiot. Lachie hunter makes 0 sense for us.
He didn't trigger me as much as some, but I feel like he enjoys being controversial. You wonder how much of what he writes is bait, and how much is genuine opinion. Loses him credibility imo.

Remember him being big on Uwland, hope he was right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't trigger me as much as some, but I feel like he enjoys being controversial. You wonder how much of what he writes is bait, and how much is genuine opinion. Loses him credibility imo.

Remember him being big on Uwland, hope he was right.
He has 0 idea on lists and list building. He is a draft watcher not a list manager.

Gimme Mackenzie or Humphreys at pick 5. Then Lachie Cowan with our second rounder and Ollie Hollands if we have a pick between 10-20.

Is there still a minimum of 3 kids each club has to draft? Swear clubs have been ignoring this rule.
Yes it is but clubs can satisfy the rule by also promoting rookie to senior list or de-list and re-draft like we did with Thompson.

Gimme Mackenzie or Humphreys at pick 5. Then Lachie Cowan with our second rounder and Ollie Hollands if we have a pick between 10-20.

Is there still a minimum of 3 kids each club has to draft? Swear clubs have been ignoring this rule.
Mackenzie would be a good fit. Great footskills

Cheap midfielders, small forwards and runners are what we need. If we can trade out experienced players and bring in cheaper versions for similar-ish output, it’s a win. That is 100% what the club should be doing this off-season.

Connor Blakey seems fine to me, as long as his wage is low.

Then lock in the players we want locked in and chase who we want to chase when we can as we grow a competitive and balanced list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back