Live Event 2022 Leon Davis Medal - CONGRATULATIONS Gary Rohan lifetime finals potato status achieved

Leon Davis Medal 2022

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan had TWICE the inside 50s to get opportunities from than Bud did.

It’s an indictment on the Leon if Rohan doesn’t get it this year.

Rohan was also robbed in 2020 when ridiculous sentiment pushed the Leon to Dangerfield. That also was a rigged vote.
And here we have the supporter don't vote for my player melt.

This one will go down to the wire flogs :thumbsu:

Staggered Sam Reid only has 5 votes so far (including from)

Did any Bay flogs here actually watch the game ?

Gary Rohan - 7 Disposals, 3 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 tackle, 2 marks, 3 frees against, 1 supercoach point in a forward line of a team that won by 13 goals. Would have been bronx cheered as well as Buddy except Buddy got the ball first and then got it again. Gary didn't get it again.

It’s pretty telling if you get Bronx cheered by your own supporters. :$
LOL those weren't Swans fans bronx cheering. The shell-shocked Swans fans just sat there glumly for 2 hours like they were at a funeral.

It was utensil-a-hoop Cats fans giving Buddy shiit just like they have in every other Geelong win over Swans & Hawks when Tom Lonergan and Harry Taylor double-teamed Franklin and kept him quiet. Yesterday was a bit extra than previous. Winning Grand Finals will do that.

It makes me laugh how the idiot commentators think bronx cheers come from the losing team's fans. They don't get it's usually the triumphant mouthy fans from the winning team who are rubbing the opposition star forward's nose in it and giving him the "middle finger", so to speak.

Oppo fans have always been obsessed with Buddy. Classic tall poppy syndrome with possibly a small dash of subconscious racism thrown in for good measure. Some of the biggest, loudest roars I've ever heard at AFL games occurred in Buddy's younger days when he'd take off on a 3 or 4 bounce run towards goal, but then get chased down and tackled, pinged for HTB before he could boot the goal of the round. Half the crowd would go nuts and lift the roof off Marvel Stadium. Like the tackler had just kicked the winning goal after the siren.

Last edited:
Oppo fans have always been obsessed with Buddy. Classic tall poppy syndrome with possibly a small dash subconscious racism thrown in for good measure.

Cedric The Entertainer Reaction GIF by CBS

Subconscious racism, I said. Not the nasty, overt racism.

Part of our tribal caveman DNA to subconsciously single out people who look different, who aren't part of our tribe. Which we then quickly override because we are all enlightened, intelligent beings who know that racism is abhorrent and that all people are created equal and so we look past colour. Don't even notice it.

Just a little bit of extra venom & abuse hurled towards Buddy than other strutting key forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subconscious racism, I said. Not the nasty, overt racism.

Part of our tribal caveman DNA to subconsciously single out people who look different, who aren't part of our tribe. Which we then quickly override because we are all enlightened, intelligent beings who know that racism is abhorrent and that all people are created equal and so we look past colour. Don't even notice it.

Just a little bit of extra venom & abuse hurled towards Buddy than other strutting key forwards.
I was there and Papley copped it too. Both talked a big game during the week and both failed to back it up.
Franklin copped it yesterday because he's on big money and putting in that stinker of a performance in the biggest game. Also copped it in the QF because he resorted to flopping and diving to get a kick on May (who is also indigenous) who was cheered by the Dees faithful everytime he beat Buddy to the ball.
Nothing racist about it. It's not like the crowd were cutting him off from his Mrs and telling her to get an abortion.

Last edited:
I was there and Papley copped it too. Both talked a big game during the week and both failed to back it up.
Franklin copped it yesterday because he's on big money and putting in that stinker of a performance in the biggest game. Also copped it in the QF because he resorted to flopping and diving to get a kick on May (who is also indigenous) who was cheered by the Dees faithful everytime he beat Buddy to the ball.
Nothing racist about it. It's not like the crowd were cutting him off from his Mrs and telling her to get an abortion.
Dude, I wasn't singling out the Dees fans. I was talking about everyone. I've gone to tons of AFL games over the decades. Not just Hawthorn games. Loads of games as a neutral. I've watched all the great forwards: Plugger, Dunstall, Dermie, Sticks, TD, Merrett, Ablett, Suma, Modra, Carey, Hird, Grant, Loewe, A.Lynch, Richo, Lloyd, Gehrig, Hall, Tredrea, Brown, Fev, Rooey, Pav, Hawkins, Tex, JK, Roughy, J.Riewoldt, T.Lynch, Cameron and Buddy.

I'm telling you... no other forward managed to cause opposition fans to get as vocal. Buddy stands alone. Not just general abuse and sledging, but people cheering his failures, roaring en masse whenever he stuffed up. Also the howls of indignation whenever he got a free kick. Literally twice the volume as other key forwards.

People booed Carey and they also gave plenty of curry to Dermie and Barry Hall. But it paled into insignificance compared to the barracking whenever Buddy played. Even going back to his first 2 seasons when he was just a gangly teenager finding his way in the AFL. Grown men all around me were bagging the shiit out of him and shouting "Onya Duddy!!!" whenever he made a mistake. Not isolated incidents. I'm talking about every game he played.

It never bothered me as a Hawks fan. I just always found it interesting. There's always perfectly good reasons why people heckle him. I not saying people are heckling because they hate "abos". But those same reasons for heckling also apply to other key forwards and the volume just doesn't compare. Not even close. There's something extra...

Some might say it was because Buddy is so charismatic... oozing magnetism, star quality and x-factor. Too damn good, just like Carey. Big money, big media profile, off field shenanigans... That's all part of it. I also think it's because he's a 198cm black guy who stands out from the crowd.

Similar to when Andrew Symonds & the Aussies toured India. Those Indian crowds watched his every move. They couldn't take their eyes off him and they'd get into a lather about every little thing he did. Every gesture. The whole crowd would go apeshit every time he appealed and was turned down, or whenever he fielded the ball off his own bowling and threw at the stumps. Perfectly valid reasons for heckling an opposition blower... But it was at three or four times the volume than when the other Aussie bowlers did that. Literally the whole crowd were braying.

You tell me why this is so. It's definitely a thing. It's not my imagination, for f**k's sake...

Last edited:
Gary Rohan - 7 Disposals, 3 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 tackle, 2 marks, 3 frees against, 1 supercoach point in a forward line of a team that won by 13 goals. Would have been bronx cheered as well as Buddy except Buddy got the ball first and then got it again. Gary didn't get it again.
Don't forget the 4 clangers from those 7 disposals

I went Gary Rohan in the end, but it was a tight decision. Sometimes its very easy to find the worst on ground for a Grand Final - Mark Bairstow for Geelong against West Coast Eagles in 1994, Gary Ablett Snr for Geelong against Carlton in 1995, Jamie Shanahan for St Kilda against Adelaide in 1997, James Hird for Essendon against Brisbane in 2001, Leon Davis himself for Collingwood against Brisbane in 2002, Michael Gardiner for West Coast against Sydney in 2005, the infamous game of Hayden Ballantyne for Fremantle against Hawthorn in 2013, Lewis Jetta for Sydney against Hawthorn in 2014 and Kurt Tippett for Sydney against the Bulldogs in 2016 all come to mind - but wasn't so easy this year.

Back