Status
Not open for further replies.
2022-Banner-Fixture-Byes.png

Last edited by a moderator:
May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All depends on price. All those others you listed have issues too - Stewart, Hall, Whitfield injury, Ridley, Crisp, Helmet role. Ziebell lol priced at his maximum, the only way is down for him imo. The Gull is the only safe pick there.
IMO Sicily's ceiling is not high enough.
If he replicates his best year ever and averages 105 he will end up about 6-7th best defender.
He is not going to play that well IMO. He has had a year off.
My guess is he has a year like Doch did when he came back from injury. Down a bit. 80-90 average.
I had to include Ziegull in the players who could average more than 105.
He averaged 108 last year.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
If he replicates his best year ever and averages 105 he will end up about 6-7th best defender.
My guess is he has a year like Doch did when he came back from injury. Down a bit.

That's my suspicion, plus his role is a little unclear with CCJ essentially taking over his spot and DGB coming into the team.

Like Doch in 2020, a sound choice, but wont make you much cash.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
My guess is he has a year like Doch did when he came back from injury. Down a bit. 80-90 average.
I had to include Ziegull in the players who could average more than 105.
He averaged 108 last year.
There were only 6 DEF players (I'll give you Crisp) who averaged 105 last year. And 3 of them were playing mid. You might have the bar a little high there. If Sicily is priced low $400k's and goes 95+ that's a win for mine.

I guess the thing to look for is those playing midfield, Hewett and Bowes for example.

1639451159349.png

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I was thinking about Sicily the other day.
Injury return question marks.
Play forward question marks.
Being a flog and getting suspended question marks.
Other great options in defence who should average more than him.
Pass.

Will be dead set stunned if Sicily plays forward. Sam Mitchell has already stated he'll be playing in defence. Only chance of it happening was if Gunston left IMO.

Also his suspension history isn't as lofty as many would think, plus he's been lauded by our new assistant coaches as having great leadership qualities which apparently became more obvious during his year out. In actually expecting a much more level headed James Sicily to take the field next season.

Defender in SC?
82 average last year. He will be cheapish.
Can't get the ball! Started off well taking kick-ins, and being used as the go to man because of his (alleged) elite kicking. Later on in the season, after injury, was serially ignored by team mates, as was Touk. GC seem quite cliquey on game day.

Will be dead set stunned if Sicily plays forward. Sam Mitchell has already stated he'll be playing in defence. Only chance of it happening was if Gunston left IMO.

Also his suspension history isn't as lofty as many would think, plus he's been lauded by our new assistant coaches as having great leadership qualities which apparently became more obvious during his year out. In actually expecting a much more level headed James Sicily to take the field next season.
Still too many defenders for my liking. Hardwick, as the lockdown on key small and 2 of Hartigan/Frost/DGB for key forwards. Then Sicily/Scrimshaw/CJ/Impey/Day and Bramble scrapping it out for 3 field and 1 bench position. Sicily a wait and see.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Still too many defenders for my liking. Hardwick, as the lockdown on key small and 2 of Hartigan/Frost/DGB for key forwards. Then Sicily/Scrimshaw/CJ/Impey/Day and Bramble scrapping it out for 3 field and 1 bench position. Sicily a wait and see.

Bramble and Day will be on a wing. Day to a wing has already been mentioned in a pre-season report released by the club.
Impey likely to start on a bench.
One of Hartigan, Frost and DGB likely to miss depending on match ups.

Not sure who would be moving from our forward line to shuffle Sicily in regardless. Kosi, Lewis and Gunston likely starters with Breust, Wingard and Moore certainties too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

This is a good example where "knowing" one's own team clouds your SC judgement.

Sicily will be Hawthorn's #1 scoring SC Defender in 2022 even after 18 months away from the game.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is a good example where "knowing" one's own team clouds your SCs judgement.

Sicily will be Hawthorn's #1 scoring SC Defender in 2022 even after 18 months away from the game.

I would agree but it really comes down to what Sam Mitchell wants to do. The issue is he's a new coach who will try a lot of different things and next year will be a year of trial and error on his behalf. Could see some wild scoring from Sicily.

I also think CJ is exactly the type of guy who you want running off half back, and Scrimshaw is the precision kick. It ultimately leaves Sicily needing to get his points off intercept marks and spoils. His best year he averaged 105sc off 24 touches, last year he played was the Covid bonus % where he was +33 from dt to sc, his best previously was +10. He also only averaged 18 touches and 5.5 marks. I struggle to see him getting enough footy personally to be top 10, but he will absolutely average 90+

Feb 2, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can see Rowell being a real sound investment at his price.

Probably averages around 95, his game is pretty conducive to SC.

Issue with Rowell was once again all his massive scoring was during the inflation year where everything good in SC turned to gold in terms of points. Sucked people in last year. I think last year with the longer quarters again proved that Rowell is very susceptible to spreading from a contest and getting the easy uncontested footy which racks up your SC score on top of your CP game. Only averaged 14 touches, 2 marks and 4 tackles a game. Touk is the overlap king who racks up possies at will, Anderson is your flashy runner, which basically leaves Rowell as your in and under type. If he's only winning the ball at the coalface, but not on the outside he basically becomes Patrick Cripps. We all saw what happens when you have zero outside game. Last year he also only kicked 2 goals, so I do believe the 6 goals in 3 games was somewhat of an anomaly. Teams know who he is now.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I would agree but it really comes down to what Sam Mitchell wants to do. The issue is he's a new coach who will try a lot of different things and next year will be a year of trial and error on his behalf. Could see some wild scoring from Sicily.

I also think CJ is exactly the type of guy who you want running off half back, and Scrimshaw is the precision kick. It ultimately leaves Sicily needing to get his points off intercept marks and spoils. His best year he averaged 105sc off 24 touches, last year he played was the Covid bonus % where he was +33 from dt to sc, his best previously was +10. He also only averaged 18 touches and 5.5 marks. I struggle to see him getting enough footy personally to be top 10, but he will absolutely average 90+
Agree with all of this .....may I also add that Sicily is coming back from a knee .....he's a leaping player that will take time to gain confidence to jump off or land on his damaged knee

Will wait and potentially have Sicily as an upgrade option .....too iffy to start with him

This is a good example where "knowing" one's own team clouds your SC judgement.

Hawthorn are sh1t
Choose Tom Mitchell
Forget the rest - they're sh1t

Sicily if under 450k is locked in. Why would he play forward???? Hawks have Kosi, Gunston and another young tall whose name I've forgot. Sicily is an all Australian calibre player who is a proven SC scorer, he will intercept, chip the ball and potentially take kick outs. The ball will be down Hawthorn's end a lot more than when he was killing it in 2018/2019.

Can't believe people are already shutting themselves off from the idea of him.

Battlepants

All Australian
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Sicily if under 450k is locked in. Why would he play forward???? Hawks have Kosi, Gunston and another young tall whose name I've forgot. Sicily is an all Australian calibre player who is a proven SC scorer, he will intercept, chip the ball and potentially take kick outs. The ball will be down Hawthorn's end a lot more than when he was killing it in 2018/2019.

Can't believe people are already shutting themselves off from the idea of him.

"Why would he play forward?" - People in 2019 right before he was played forward

Sherman41

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sicily will most likely play an anchor role in my opinion that allows him to sit behind the play and coordinate the troops in front of him.
I see him getting a lot of cheap touches/intercept possessions in this role which is just as conducive as the running half back. His DE should be high as a result which bodes well.

This is the easiest way to ease someone back in to football for numerous reasons whilst also being beneficial to his team.

Sicily will most likely play an anchor role in my opinion that allows him to sit behind the play and coordinate the troops in front of him.
I see him getting a lot of cheap touches/intercept possessions in this role which is just as conducive as the running half back. His DE should be high as a result which bodes well.

This is the easiest way to ease someone back in to football for numerous reasons whilst also being beneficial to his team.
Yep, exactly my thoughts. Been spruiked as being a terrific leader and has done a lot of work with the coaches while injured. Kinda like the OG Docherty role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back