Autopsy 2022 Rd 11 Weitering goes down creating too tall an order for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 11 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with a fair chunk of this. We conceded 79 points. Our average score against this year is 81. It's not like our defence fell in a massive hole in Weitering's absence.

If he hadn't been injured, would we have won? Yeah, maybe. Or maybe the Magpie attacks he'd have cut off were the ones where they missed the shot anyway. Who knows?

Against stronger forward lines Weitering will be a bigger loss. But against the Magpies our primary issues were elsewhere.

I look at it a different way....

We - the team, as a group - simply didn't play well other than in a few random patches.

Yes the Pies were on, ran and tackled hard (which should be a non negotiable baseline for all teams) but we were significantly off our best.

Easy to name 6-8 players (CFC players) who did sfa on Sunday.

Saad was also interesting. I rewatched His second half. He’s in my top few favourite players and played a bloody good game on the w/e, but I attribute those Sidebottom shots at goal to him….not to Cotters.

He was defensively out of position on Lipinski - who pushed hard forward. Cotters was forced to cover for Saad which then lead to Sidebottom being free.

Saad was also interesting. I rewatched His second half. He’s in my top few favourite players and played a bloody good game on the w/e, but I attribute those Sidebottom shots at goal to him….not to Cotters.

He was defensively out of position on Lipinski - who pushed hard forward. Cotters was forced to cover for Saad which then lead to Sidebottom being free.
get a grip.......

Wasn't Saad on Ginnivan?

I agree with a fair chunk of this. We conceded 79 points. Our average score against this year is 81. It's not like our defence fell in a massive hole in Weitering's absence.

If he hadn't been injured, would we have won? Yeah, maybe. Or maybe the Magpie attacks he'd have cut off were the ones where they missed the shot anyway. Who knows?

Against stronger forward lines Weitering will be a bigger loss. But against the Magpies our primary issues were elsewhere.

Even before weiters went off I thought the pies looked on and we looked maybe 10% off, and the gap between the sides isn’t that huge.

I think most expected us to lose one of the GWS or Sydney games, so winning 2 out of the last 3 is still a good result.

Weiters out is clearly the big concern going forward.

Pies last 2 goals came from long balls in - one where Brown roved the dropped mark by Cameron, the other Henry slipped in front of the pack. We would have defended better with Weiters down there.

One of Lapinski's goal came from the mismatch of Cox outmarking Plowman.

It was not just from transition that the Pies scored their goals

Agree. We’ve kicked 100+ points in 6 games this year, 94pts in another and 74pts (against Hawks) for our 8 wins this year.

Our issue was not winning ruck/midfield and the forward line - we ain’t gonna win many games kicking 6 goals 7 in three quarters of football.

Sidebottom and many other Pie players were given more width when Weitering went down. Whether it was coaching or player instincts, we were drawn more to the corridor to protect the high ball when having to deal with Cox and Cameron, then they switched to the fat side. Or defensive press had way to many gaps, from some players playing to high, while others sagged back too far

Where the real breakdown and ultimately the reason we lost, is a lack to spread to the fat side of the ground to spread their defensive pressure. We were stagnate and just kicked the ball down the line way too often.

When we took the game on more in the last, we looked so much better

Back