Autopsy 2022 Rd 11 Weitering goes down creating too tall an order for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 11 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh, who are we hoping listens to the media discussing our injury list? If it’s opposition supporters so they take that into consideration if we lose some upcoming games, I would suggest that opposition supporters should already be aware that Weitering, Pitto, McKay, Martin, Williams etc are injured without the media telling them.

Wishful thinking, but I bloody hope the media point out our injury list if we drop a few games in a row from here.

i still dont understand why people care what the media says, especially commentators - just background noise and have zero impact on games. No point in getting worked up about what some random thinks about a game/result etc.

i still dont understand why people care what the media says, especially commentators - just background noise and have zero impact on games. No point in getting worked up about what some random thinks about a game/result etc.
Usually I don't care, but I can envision a bunch of coverage about us collapsing in a heap in the next month despite having half of our best 22 out.

From Swoop lukes video.. JSos in red... Walsh and Duredin ready for dish.. Very uncharacteristic of him to not dish.

1653969551675.png

Usually I don't care, but I can envision a bunch of coverage about us collapsing in a heap in the next month despite having half of our best 22 out.
so what?

From Swoop lukes video.. JSos in red... Walsh and Duredin ready for dish.. Very uncharacteristic of him to not dish.

View attachment 1412966
I think that's pretty unfair tbh. It wasn't like he had all day to saunter around and figure out what to do. He got the ball in a pack, in a high pressure situation with Adams and Howe about to tackle him.

If he knew they were there he'd have dished it, but in that situation with the situational and oppositional pressure he was under I don't blame him at all for not identifying that they were there. He had a step to make a decision or be tackled.

I think that's pretty unfair tbh. It wasn't like he had all day to saunter around and figure out what to do. He got the ball in a pack, in a high pressure situation with Adams and Howe about to tackle him.

If he knew they were there he'd have dished it, but in that situation with the situational and oppositional pressure he was under I don't blame him at all for not identifying that they were there. He had a step to make a decision or be tackled.
its an easy game in hindsight and slow motion 🤣

Does anyone have some thoughts on why we persisted with long kicks down the line, especially considering our lack in tall marking options?
What made our game plan change so much from the previous 4 weeks?

Don't think it has changed, I have read posts noting this same style in patches in games for awhile now. Can only assume it's a coaching direction and maybe based around slowing the game down to allow players to regenerate, the boundary being your friend and all.

Bit of a double edged sword though in that it quite often results in a stoppage so while we're good at them it's not really giving your engine room a break.

Oh no doubt.. definitely not saying he shoulda done this and shoulda done that.. Nothing wrong with his decision just amazing to see in certain situations how many options/targets there actually are.

Like when Walsh put the ball inside 50 from the centre, Motlop peeled off perfectly and was wide open around 30m out.

And lets be honest, 1 foot to the left and that ball goes in and were still celebrating..

Would have been amazing to steal that.

Don't think it has changed, I have read posts noting this same style in patches in games for awhile now. Can only assume it's a coaching direction and maybe based around slowing the game down to allow players to regenerate, the boundary being your friend and all.

Bit of a double edged sword though in that it quite often results in a stoppage so while we're good at them it's not really giving your engine room a break.
It's an interesting discussion. When you do it straight after half time, it shouldn't be to slow the play down to regenerate, as you've just had a rest. Unless you are a mile in front and have used a lot of petrol achieving that.

I assume it was more tactical - we thought we were the better contested team, and they were more likely to cause us problems in open play. We should have had confidence in our legs, given the 9 day break compared to their 7 coming off heavy conditions. The last period of the game suggests that fitness wasn't an issue as we were all over them.

We were probably concerned that without Weiters we would get hurt badly on the turnover, so therefore minimised the risk taking. The trouble with that is, we struggled to score ourselves. Hopefully we nab Carey and Jakovich tomorrow to allow us to play our preferred style until the reinforcements arrive.

Does anyone have some thoughts on why we persisted with long kicks down the line, especially considering our lack in tall marking options?
What made our game plan change so much from the previous 4 weeks?
If you mean down the line along the boundary, I think it was about getting it down the field, out of bounds, set up for the throw in where our strengths is clearances (which we won I think). From there, our run and gun game can start. Its about creating the opportunities to play to our strength, the problem was we turned it over too many times.

It's an interesting discussion. When you do it straight after half time, it shouldn't be to slow the play down to regenerate, as you've just had a rest. Unless you are a mile in front and have used a lot of petrol achieving that.

I assume it was more tactical - we thought we were the better contested team, and they were more likely to cause us problems in open play. We should have had confidence in our legs, given the 9 day break compared to their 7 coming off heavy conditions. The last period of the game suggests that fitness wasn't an issue as we were all over them.

We were probably concerned that without Weiters we would get hurt badly on the turnover, so therefore minimised the risk taking. The trouble with that is, we struggled to score ourselves. Hopefully we nab Carey and Jakovich tomorrow to allow us to play our preferred style until the reinforcements arrive.

Tbh I haven't had opportunity to watch this particular game but agree doing it straight after the main break would appear unusual on the face of it.

Your assessment certainly makes sense and maybe the play was to hang in there and make a run at them later when time was short to counter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you mean down the line along the boundary, I think it was about getting it down the field, out of bounds, set up for the throw in where our strengths is clearances (which we won I think). From there, our run and gun game can start. Its about creating the opportunities to play to our strength, the problem was we turned it over too many times.

And this sounds logical too. Once again I haven't seen the game but by turnovers are you primarily talking about our forward 50 entries or that area of the ground? and I think it was 4flagsin5years who mentioned our smaller forwards as a collective were largely missing/making errors on the day.

If we can qualify for finals and our prime movers (Charlie, Harry, Weiters, Crippa and Walshy) are fit, no one will want to play us in a final. Navigate the next 6 weeks to stay on track for finals, get some key players back fit for finals and we could do anything come September.

Bang on. The next six weeks we have five games, need to win at least three to stay up there. Two I guess is acceptable but surely Pittonet and Harry are back after the Queen's bday?

Agreed. The ultra-conservative play in the 3rd qtr is what killed us. Didn't switch the play once until we were forced to because of an early play on call putting pressure on the kicker, only finding an outlet cross field.

Funnily enough we actually got inside 50 after that. Weird that.

It was really frustrating, we went in with momentum at half time but came out second best. It's like they reset and came at us again. And we went into our shell. A few of those turnovers (Fisher especially) really put us on the back foot. Also Charlie had a great opportunity to mark on the lead right at the start of the second half and have a relatively easy set shot but he spilled the mark under minimal pressure. In a game of fractions a few of these mistakes have cost us in the end dearly. It feels like just one less error and we win.

Last edited:
There were 3 very obvious frees in the last minute, all paid consistently all day until it was in our F50 in the last minute.

This was one of them.

It was really frustrating, we went in with momentum at half time but came out second best. It's like they reset and came at us again. And we went into our shell. A few of those turnovers (Fisher especially) really put us on the back foot. Also Charlie had a great opportunity to mark on the lead right at the start of the second half and have a relatively easy set shot but he spilled the mark under minimal pressure. In a game of fractions a few of these mistakes have cost us in the dearly. It feels like just one less error and we win.

Yes and no.

In one stretch they kicked 2.8 or 2.9 or the like....

The final margin flattered us...

It was really frustrating, we went in with momentum at half time but came out second best. It's like they reset and came at us again. And we went into our shell. A few of those turnovers (Fisher especially) really put us on the back foot. Also Charlie had a great opportunity to mark on the lead right at the start of the second half and have a relatively easy set shot but he spilled the mark under minimal pressure. In a game of fractions a few of these mistakes have cost us in the dearly. It feels like just one less error and we win.
Filth missed plenty of gettable goals so we need to keep that in mind also.

But a couple of costly mistakes that are stuck in my mind are...

Cripps trying to kick into our f50 on his left...almost missed the entire ball...classic cripps on the run left footer. Filth turned that around and scored in think.

Second one was saad getting caught running ball along wing side of centre square. Think cox end up scoring that one. Was a little surprised saad got caught with his speed.

Strangely though, we still could have won if jsos snap went through.

Yes and no.

In one stretch they kicked 2.8 or 2.9 or the like....

The final margin flattered us...
We also kicked 0.5 in the 3rd to be fair. Had more inside 50s as well. What killed us in the end was the aerial battle - with us conceding 18 marks inside 50 and 17 contested marks. The Weitering loss in the 1st just exacerbated our height issue with injuries this year.

Man, I love me a post that starts with.
Now I haven’t seen the game, but

At least they’re upfront about it…

I agree with this, kind of. More, I genuinely don't give much of value for what the media as a whole think, injuries or no.

What I will say is that, in 2017-18, injuries were not allowed to be an excuse for a bottom 4 side plumbing the depths of what it meant to be an AFL side. We got beaten by 100 by GWS - on that rarest of occasions in which they had almost their entire list available - with 17 on the field, even if bloody 5 players went down during the match; our injuries were not allowed to be an excuse, any mitigation for our performance that day.

If you're already bottom 4 and you suffer injuries that see a third of your list and every first choice player in the entire back six unavailable - leading us to play Jack Silvagni and Marc Murphy behind the ball, ffs - why are those injuries less of an excuse than when you're competing for top 4 and have one of your first choice KPP's available?

The answer there is, spin. You want comforting, the media is the wrong place to look; they're not there to coddle you, make you feel better, mitigate the blow the loss has on you. They're there to satisfy the Collingwoods, the Essendons, the WC's and the Sydneys of the world; they don't care either way. The only way to force their hand is to make them sit up and pay attention with your performances.

Err in 2018 it was them with 17 on the field still destroying us

Back