Autopsy 2022 Rd 11 Weitering goes down creating too tall an order for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 11 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We are a 6th to 8th side. A lot better than last year and a top 3 side in 2023. I'm more optimistic than this time last year.

Disagree with this big time. We are missing many key players. We were beaten up all day yesterday but still should've won. To me that says we are not an easy team to beat!

Give us a relatively full list and we are top four IMO.

If we can qualify for finals and our prime movers (Charlie, Harry, Weiters, Crippa and Walshy) are fit, no one will want to play us in a final. Navigate the next 6 weeks to stay on track for finals, get some key players back fit for finals and we could do anything come September.

I'll just leave this here...

Stocker...;)

Gee I love Stock... absolute weapon.
And they could show probably 100 of Moore/Howe doing that throughout the game on Charlie if they want to talk about high... doesn't matter none of them including that one to Collingwood or Walshy's were paid game over. All yesterday showed me was that with our list healthy these guys don't get within 6 goals of us doing it easy. Rapt we get them round 23 again

If we can qualify for finals and our prime movers (Charlie, Harry, Weiters, Crippa and Walshy) are fit, no one will want to play us in a final. Navigate the next 6 weeks to stay on track for finals, get some key players back fit for finals and we could do anything come September.

Pretty much. With our spine players back, we can go deep in finals.

It's a pretty big if... though.

Anything to see here? If Charlie clunks this without attention from Moore...? Ah, would have been a robbery. In real-time I was just so excited to see CC fly for the ball, might have scared the kids at home... oops.

View attachment 1412533

There were 3 very obvious frees in the last minute, all paid consistently all day until it was in our F50 in the last minute.

This was one of them.

Obviously injuries played a huge part in our loss but we still failed to play well.

I thought our small forwards were really poor after being really good. The ball hit the ground up forward and it was all Collingwood. They had lose men out the back of the contests to go to to relieve the forward pressure. Our closing speed on the opposition and lose ball was far too slow in our forward line. It took us to be down and have a sniff in the last 10 minutes to play with the effort and intensity to win this game.

Collingwood are a high effort, pressure, chase tackle side and we failed to match that around the ground. To put it simply when it came to putting your head over it and fighting for the lose ball their effort was better. It was a good lesson. Sometimes it's a shitfight and you have to be up for it, you have to be willing to fight for it and scrap for it better than them and we weren't.

Effort overcome skill and we have missed a huge opportunity to stay in the top 4.

Walsh - He was really good, he's just overtaken Cripps as our bet player the last month. He's flying.

Docherty - When it came to effort and guts he showed it, more needed to follow. He's in AA form.

Hewett - He had a big game, just doing what he promised to do and more.

Cerra - he stood up for Kennedy and had a decent game.

Cripps - He played well in moments, he tried to play tall but wasn't able to get in on the aerial stuff. Kicked a good goal and had some moments bursting out of contests but it wasn't the dominant game we needed.

Saad - He was BOG for mine. He was sensational, he was brave, he worked his arse off and hit the contest like you want to see. No one plays like this in the AFL at the moment, I'm baffled more don't have him in their AA side.

Dow - Dow played alright, he wasn't the hopeless player I have seen all of his career and he tried pretty hard at times. He needs a run of it.

O'Brien - He was alright as well, he's getting better, we need to be patient with him.

Newman - He was solid, had some clutch moments where he came out on top.

Fisher - Dismal game. Part of our weak forward line pressure. You just need to get in there and make it a contest and he was absent. 0 tackles. Missed his shots on goal, no pressure. He pretty much did nothing and was a part of the problem.

Silvagni - He had an alright game, nearly won it for us but he's not a key position player. Playing CHF he just doesn't go to the right spots. He's great at being that third tall where you just hunt the footy, work with the space and take the prime positions but playing CHF means you have to be where the pressure kick goes which is where the opposition are going to defend the ground and give a contest there. It's not the best place to win the footy, but it's where you need to be when we are under pressure and bang it forward to give that contest and grab the odd one. He was out of position a bit and that's when they intercepted a bit. We are asking him to play a role he's not up to and is not his natural role. Missing McKay badly here.

Cottrell - Absolutely terrible, worst on ground. His intensity to chase and apply pressure was about 50%. He was on Sidebottom a lot of the time. Sidebottom was left on his own all week last week to just stand on the wing and opposite half forward flank. You would think we would watch that game and not make the same mistake but no, Sidebottom was again left to be on his own in prime territory. Cottrell's efforts and defensive game was dreadful, no way he plays next game.

Newnes - He was ok, nothing to write home about, just ok.

Plowman - Thrust into a role where he struggles, he just can not play tall.

De Koning - Did some really good things, took some really good marks and went missing a lot. Beaten in the ruck. Game was up and down.

Stocker - Stocker is not better than Newman, we can forget that debate. He looks too heavy and slow. Some of his kicking is good but I don't rate it.

Curnow - Freak. Can genuinely play. Nearly won us the game and got us home but was not allowed to get off the leash this week.

Owies - Did nothing for 3 quarters, bobbed up in the last.

Carroll - Wish he wasn't the sub, he was terrible, needs to go back to the reserves for a bit.

Durdin - Started the game on fire with a good goal then nothing. Probably his worst game of his career. He bombed as did all our small forwards.

Motlop - Playing well for a 3rd gamer but again, didn't do enough, our small forwards let us down this game.

Young - Had an opportunity to be the our number one man back there and was really ordinary. Lacks a lot of body strength. Hesitant. Too reliant on confidence. We will stick with him and hope he improves, I am sure he will but not holding my breath. Was doing well when he was playing on the lesser opponents with Weitering in the side.

Weitering - Started the game looking dominant, he would have had a massive game and we would have won if not for injury. Extremely disappointing. It's hard to believe just how bad things are going for us.

Umpires - Willing to pay free kicks for pretty much touching opponents but when the game is on the line head high frees get ignored. Same rules and interpretations for the whole duration of the game and for the all areas of the ground would be nice. The umpiring is an absolute s**t show at the moment. Pay less holding free, pay less ruck frees, don't pay frees for players who drop the knees to draw high free kicks, be consistent for the 4 quarters and over all areas of the field. It's not hard.

We need to find ways to keep winning and hope that by season's end we get our better players back.

Well it’s not a popular opinion but here goes.

1. McGovern had repeated hamstring injuries and he hasn’t been able to get them right at all. He tweaked it clearly in the preseason. It’s reasonable to say he could have pulled the trigger a long time ago on surgery.
2. McKay played injured for 3-4 weeks with the same problem then went to surgery. There’s no clarity on what the plan there was.
3. How did McDonald pass a fitness test? How did they decide they could do without Casboult this year on the presumption McDonald would get through the year?
4. Why has Cuningham taken so long to get over his knee?
5. Why does Williams suffer so many soft tissue injures? He’s been here long enough.

I am certain Russell would be consulted when players are brought to the club (Eg McDonald and Williams). Williams apparently had Achilles issues when he came to the club.

It’s reasonable to ask some questions. Doesn’t mean Russell is being bagged.

Agree the Weitering issue had zero to do with Russell- except that management of other players (and selection/retention/non retention is another) means the impact of Weitering is felt more.

I believe the decision regarding Casboult is a prime example. Firstly word leaking around was ‘Casboult is shot.’ No he isn’t. Did Russell think he was shot? Second he must have felt he could get McDonald right. Nope.

So it’s more than his role in injuries prevention and management. It’s his input to list management.

We have also been horrifically unlucky. But to say we are only unlucky is wrong in my view.

And I’m not bagging Russell. I just hope he is reflecting and thinking what he can do better.
I'm not a Russell critic but the bolded is absolutely correct. With an injury list this long we absolutely should be asking questions, and those questions should include 'what are we learning' and 'what can we do better'. Have to admit that this talk of Carroll having a broken finger but playing anyway leaves me, let's say, somewhat perplexed.

We should also be asking 'what have we done well'. Examples there will include Charlie's return to fitness, and Doc's, and our solid performance after the 5 day break.

I hope and expect that Russell always wants to improve and is asking all of those questions already.

Obviously Weitering's injury is nobody's fault. But continuous improvement is a thing, and I want Weitering's recovery to benefit from it.

Obviously injuries played a huge part in our loss but we still failed to play well.

I thought our small forwards were really poor after being really good. The ball hit the ground up forward and it was all Collingwood. They had lose men out the back of the contests to go to to relieve the forward pressure. Our closing speed on the opposition and lose ball was far too slow in our forward line. It took us to be down and have a sniff in the last 10 minutes to play with the effort and intensity to win this game.

Collingwood are a high effort, pressure, chase tackle side and we failed to match that around the ground. To put it simply when it came to putting your head over it and fighting for the lose ball their effort was better. It was a good lesson. Sometimes it's a shitfight and you have to be up for it, you have to be willing to fight for it and scrap for it better than them and we weren't.

Effort overcome skill and we have missed a huge opportunity to stay in the top 4.

Walsh - He was really good, he's just overtaken Cripps as our bet player the last month. He's flying.

Docherty - When it came to effort and guts he showed it, more needed to follow. He's in AA form.

Hewett - He had a big game, just doing what he promised to do and more.

Cerra - he stood up for Kennedy and had a decent game.

Cripps - He played well in moments, he tried to play tall but wasn't able to get in on the aerial stuff. Kicked a good goal and had some moments bursting out of contests but it wasn't the dominant game we needed.

Saad - He was BOG for mine. He was sensational, he was brave, he worked his arse off and hit the contest like you want to see. No one plays like this in the AFL at the moment, I'm baffled more don't have him in their AA side.

Dow - Dow played alright, he wasn't the hopeless player I have seen all of his career and he tried pretty hard at times. He needs a run of it.

O'Brien - He was alright as well, he's getting better, we need to be patient with him.

Newman - He was solid, had some clutch moments where he came out on top.

Fisher - Dismal game. Part of our weak forward line pressure. You just need to get in there and make it a contest and he was absent. 0 tackles. Missed his shots on goal, no pressure. He pretty much did nothing and was a part of the problem.

Silvagni - He had an alright game, nearly won it for us but he's not a key position player. Playing CHF he just doesn't go to the right spots. He's great at being that third tall where you just hunt the footy, work with the space and take the prime positions but playing CHF means you have to be where the pressure kick goes which is where the opposition are going to defend the ground and give a contest there. It's not the best place to win the footy, but it's where you need to be when we are under pressure and bang it forward to give that contest and grab the odd one. He was out of position a bit and that's when they intercepted a bit. We are asking him to play a role he's not up to and is not his natural role. Missing McKay badly here.

Cottrell - Absolutely terrible, worst on ground. His intensity to chase and apply pressure was about 50%. He was on Sidebottom a lot of the time. Sidebottom was left on his own all week last week to just stand on the wing and opposite half forward flank. You would think we would watch that game and not make the same mistake but no, Sidebottom was again left to be on his own in prime territory. Cottrell's efforts and defensive game was dreadful, no way he plays next game.

Newnes - He was ok, nothing to write home about, just ok.

Plowman - Thrust into a role where he struggles, he just can not play tall.

De Koning - Did some really good things, took some really good marks and went missing a lot. Beaten in the ruck. Game was up and down.

Stocker - Stocker is not better than Newman, we can forget that debate. He looks too heavy and slow. Some of his kicking is good but I don't rate it.

Curnow - Freak. Can genuinely play. Nearly won us the game and got us home but was not allowed to get off the leash this week.

Owies - Did nothing for 3 quarters, bobbed up in the last.

Carroll - Wish he wasn't the sub, he was terrible, needs to go back to the reserves for a bit.

Durdin - Started the game on fire with a good goal then nothing. Probably his worst game of his career. He bombed as did all our small forwards.

Motlop - Playing well for a 3rd gamer but again, didn't do enough, our small forwards let us down this game.

Young - Had an opportunity to be the our number one man back there and was really ordinary. Lacks a lot of body strength. Hesitant. Too reliant on confidence. We will stick with him and hope he improves, I am sure he will but not holding my breath. Was doing well when he was playing on the lesser opponents with Weitering in the side.

Weitering - Started the game looking dominant, he would have had a massive game and we would have won if not for injury. Extremely disappointing. It's hard to believe just how bad things are going for us.

Umpires - Willing to pay free kicks for pretty much touching opponents but when the game is on the line head high frees get ignored. Same rules and interpretations for the whole duration of the game and for the all areas of the ground would be nice. The umpiring is an absolute s**t show at the moment. Pay less holding free, pay less ruck frees, don't pay frees for players who drop the knees to draw high free kicks, be consistent for the 4 quarters and over all areas of the field. It's not hard.

We need to find ways to keep winning and hope that by season's end we get our better players back.

When 6 or 8 players or so contribute nothing or next to nothing you're going to be in trouble against anyone....

Gee can we just give Carroll, a 19 year old, a break please? He’s shown plenty and will be in our next flag team just lock it in.

A spell in the 2’s is just what he needs, but he’ll be back in the 1’s soon enough.
Nobody is getting stuck into Durdin, who had less of the ball, apart from one goal.. also less pressure acts.

With an extra 30 or so mins of game time..

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Gee I love Stock... absolute weapon.
And they could show probably 100 of Moore/Howe doing that throughout the game on Charlie if they want to talk about high... doesn't matter none of them including that one to Collingwood or Walshy's were paid game over. All yesterday showed me was that with our list healthy these guys don't get within 6 goals of us doing it easy. Rapt we get them round 23 again
Pretty sure they will throw games from here on in to avoid any remote chance of us doing them in a final...again..again.. again...etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a few people in this place might be exaggerating its importance to the CFC, not to mention the average stiff in the street's comprehension of modern day sport's medicine. Preventative, ongoing and rehab.

I'm not a Russell critic but the bolded is absolutely correct. With an injury list this long we absolutely should be asking questions, and those questions should include 'what are we learning' and 'what can we do better'. Have to admit that this talk of Carroll having a broken finger but playing anyway leaves me, let's say, somewhat perplexed.

We should also be asking 'what have we done well'. Examples there will include Charlie's return to fitness, and Doc's, and our solid performance after the 5 day break.

I hope and expect that Russell always wants to improve and is asking all of those questions already.

Obviously Weitering's injury is nobody's fault. But continuous improvement is a thing, and I want Weitering's recovery to benefit from it.

Carlton have a number of high risk players on the list.

Top tier: McGovern, Marchbank, Curnow, McDonald.

Second tier: Williams, Martin, De Koning, Silvagni, Docherty, Kemp, Fisher, Setterfield, Philp.

Out of the top tier 1 out of 4 is fit. Pretty much to be expected.

Out of the second tier 7 have remained fit and 2 have been injured a lot.

We have the same issue with the same players, over and over again.

We have copped a few typical footy injuries.

The reason is too many injury prone players.

Credit to Collingwood, they brought a lot of intensity to the contest, deserved the win and we looked a bit off, losing Weitering was obviously a body blow. We can take a lot of heart, not much went right, we were depleted, they were "on" but we almost pinched it. But to be fair they should have iced the game in the 3rd quarter.

One thing that worked really well for us in the second quarter, they had all the momentum and we slowed the game right down, played tempo and clawed back a 20 point deficit to actually lead at half time. That goes into our bag of tricks. This was something we never did when momentum was against us in the past.

Onward and upward, can't wait till we get some key players back.

1. McGovern had repeated hamstring injuries and he hasn’t been able to get them right at all. He tweaked it clearly in the preseason. It’s reasonable to say he could have pulled the trigger a long time ago on surgery.
2. McKay played injured for 3-4 weeks with the same problem then went to surgery. There’s no clarity on what the plan there was.
3. How did McDonald pass a fitness test? How did they decide they could do without Casboult this year on the presumption McDonald would get through the year?
5. Why does Williams suffer so many soft tissue injures? He’s been here long enough.

I am certain Russell would be consulted when players are brought to the club (Eg McDonald and Williams). Williams apparently had Achilles issues when he came to the club.

Agree the Weitering issue had zero to do with Russell- except that management of other players (and selection/retention/non retention is another) means the impact of Weitering is felt more.

I believe the decision regarding Casboult is a prime example. Firstly word leaking around was ‘Casboult is shot.’ No he isn’t. Did Russell think he was shot? Second he must have felt he could get McDonald right. Nope.

So it’s more than his role in injuries prevention and management. It’s his input to list management.

We have also been horrifically unlucky. But to say we are only unlucky is wrong in my view.

And I’m not bagging Russell. I just hope he is reflecting and thinking what he can do better.
Are there some recurring soft tissue injuries that may have been prevented by high performance/physio/team doctor's intervention? Maybe.
I'm unsure whether McKay's meniscus tear would have been known for 3-4 weeks when he played through them, are there evidence to suggest that the club knew he had a tear and kept playing him?

It's fine to question the effectiveness of the performance staff that includes coaches, sports science and sports medicine departments, but to complain about a new injury, from contact is just trying to find someone to blame.

You can train the house down and do all the preventative interventions, but again a sport that is played at such high intensity, you can do one wrong movement and injuries happen.

Everyone in an elite sports environment should be able to reflect on the pros and cons of their own action, that I agree. They don't get to the highest level without being able to do so. No one said it was just pure bad luck, but pointing fingers or trying to put it down on one area of the club just seems very reactive.

I was going to respond to all this..then decided I can't be bothered. Though I do think its mostly silly.
If we had pinched the game you wouldnt have been bothered writing all that either.

Fact: we CAN win the flag this year. And I believe we will.

I just can’t see that our players as athletes and as a team will have the continuity to pull that off tbh.

Obviously happy to be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back