Autopsy 2022 Rd 11 Weitering goes down creating too tall an order for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 11 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I forgot to mention in my bigger post, this is the 2nd week in a row I've really noticed we've just gone in straight lines. It was brought up in the coverage in the 3rd quarter that we outright refused to go in any direction except straight down the line.

The same thing happened last week in the 3rd quarter, however I put it down to being tired and off a short break - not having the legs to spread. Maybe I was wrong, now in back to back weeks and one off a good break. The 3rd quarter we completely lost any dare or change of angles with everything stagnant and straight down the line.

Not a coincidence it was our only scoreless qtr of the year.
Was infuriating. You realise the margin between new Carlton and old Carlton is only half a dozen lazy synapses. It seemed so straight forward to avoid yet we just incessantly went down the line then bombed it into an F50 contest. Did my head in, yet only takes players to think and wait for an option and team mates to switch on and force themselves to get into good spots. Lot of lazy efforts on Sunday.

Err in 2018 it was them with 17 on the field still destroying us
I phrased that badly. Sentence should've read:
We got beaten by 100 by GWS - on that rarest of occasions in which they had almost their entire list available - with them only having 17 on the field; our injuries were not allowed to be an excuse, any mitigation for our performance that day.

And this sounds logical too. Once again I haven't seen the game but by turnovers are you primarily talking about our forward 50 entries or that area of the ground? and I think it was 4flagsin5years who mentioned our smaller forwards as a collective were largely missing/making errors on the day.
Yes, they weren't themselves. A lot of the TO's to my eye looked to occur mostly when we tried to bite off more than we could chew with a kick. Again, to their credit (spits on the ground), they pressured us into mistakes.

We also kicked 0.5 in the 3rd to be fair. Had more inside 50s as well. What killed us in the end was the aerial battle - with us conceding 18 marks inside 50 and 17 contested marks. The Weitering loss in the 1st just exacerbated our height issue with injuries this year.

or also the 'strategy' to repeatedly, incessantly kick the ball out from goal to the same side and same spot time and time again....all game long.

Ok. Stop. Could have been 9.2. Should be 10.3 after 12. Only need another 3 in the next 11. Even with injuries, gunna win another 3. Gotta love playin’ Finals again, no matter where we finish,Yeah?

My Maths Sucks. Don’t matter. We’re still playin’ Finals.
Not to be the negative one but nothing is sure in this competition. We still need to win 5 games to be in a good position for a finals berth. We have put ourselves in a good position but still have a lot of tough teams to play with clear personnel issues. Hopefully the heart the club has shown so far continues!

The pain is still raw. Usually around now I start getting excited about the next game on the weekend. Damn bye. The last minute keeps playing over and over in my head. How different I'd be feeling if jacks kick was a little more to the left. Its ugly having to wait to make amends.

Warning controversial comments below…

Was at the game but wanted to watch the full replay before commenting.
  • Losing Weiters was not the catalyst for losing the game. This has been way overblown. Not sure he would have been able to stop many of their 2nd half goals as they came from midfield/overlap run.
  • I can’t understand the criticism of Dow’s game. I though he was actually good, tacked hard and did what was expected. This is his first game in the senior, so we need to give him a few continuous games to build that cohesion.
  • I love Walsh and haven’t really found a floor in his game until now. But he really needs to learn to lower his eyes. Too often he just bangs the ball long when he has either a handball option or short kick. This happened at least 5 times in the second half.
  • Carroll was a deer in headlights. Will be a good player in time but we can’t carry him atm.

Ok. Stop. Could have been 9.2. Should be 10.3 after 12. Only need another 3 in the next 11. Even with injuries, gunna win another 3. Gotta love playin’ Finals again, no matter where we finish,Yeah?
I see you posted a few other times, but this year it's looking like a rare season where you might need 13 wins to make it.

On 8 at the moment so likely need 5 of the last 11 to make it in. Should be doable with a few players coming back along the way, but we do play Brisbane, Melbourne, St Kilda & Freo in there so probably need to jag one of those to be sure and win every game we're expected to. No slip ups.

I'd say expected wins would be Crows, Eagles, Bombs & GWS so that gives us 4. Should we do what we need to in those, then need to get one against the Lions, Demons, Saints, Dockers, Pies or Tigers to get in.

We should manage that, especially with players coming back later in the season, but that's the likely scenario for making finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warning controversial comments below…

Was at the game but wanted to watch the full replay before commenting.
  • Losing Weiters was not the catalyst for losing the game. This has been way overblown. Not sure he would have been able to stop many of their 2nd half goals as they came from midfield/overlap run.
  • I can’t understand the criticism of Dow’s game. I though he was actually good, tacked hard and did what was expected. This is his first game in the senior, so we need to give him a few continuous games to build that cohesion.
  • I love Walsh and haven’t really found a floor in his game until now. But he really needs to learn to lower his eyes. Too often he just bangs the ball long when he has either a handball option or short kick. This happened at least 5 times in the second half.
  • Carroll was a deer in headlights. Will be a good player in time but we can’t carry him atm.
Agree, with most of your comments. But not about Weiters. He would have made a huge difference.
You can't tell me, if he was playing he would not have affected multiple spoils, intercepts and better supervised our defensive structure & system.
He is our General. We would have won by 3-4 goals, easy.
I have been to 5 home games this year. He is one of our most important players.
Would we have beaten Swans, without Weitering? hmmmm....

I forgot to mention in my bigger post, this is the 2nd week in a row I've really noticed we've just gone in straight lines. It was brought up in the coverage in the 3rd quarter that we outright refused to go in any direction except straight down the line.

The same thing happened last week in the 3rd quarter, however I put it down to being tired and off a short break - not having the legs to spread. Maybe I was wrong, now in back to back weeks and one off a good break. The 3rd quarter we completely lost any dare or change of angles with everything stagnant and straight down the line.

Not a coincidence it was our only scoreless qtr of the year.
I'll preface this with - I only saw the second half.

Do you mean that we didn't switch the play or take the corridor on?

If so, was that more a sign that opposition teams have worked us out?

Agree, with most of your comments. But not about Weiters. He would have made a huge difference.
You can't tell me, if he was playing he would not have affected multiple spoils, intercepts and better supervised our defensive structure & system.
He is our General. We would have won by 3-4 goals, easy.
I have been to 5 home games this year. He is one of our most important players.
Would we have beaten Swans, without Weitering? hmmmm....
Add the fact that due to the pies lack of quality talls we appeared to have a plan to play weitering looser so he could roll off. Took 2 intercept marks in the first 5 minutes. I reckon he was set for a monster game with the additional freedom.

Losing Weiters was not the catalyst for losing the game. This has been way overblown. Not sure he would have been able to stop many of their 2nd half goals as they came from midfield/overlap run.
While I wasn't there, I don't know how you can categorically state that he would've had zero influence over a result that was determined by under a goal.

For us to win, all he would have to do is stop 1 goal.

While I wasn't there, I don't know how you can categorically state that he would've had zero influence over a result that was determined by under a goal.

For us to win, all he would have to do is stop 1 goal.

I’m not disputing that losing one of our best 3 players doesn’t have an impact…of course it does. But It’s not like one of their talls popped up and kicked 4 second half goals.

Most of their goals came from their superior transition and overlap which would have been hard for Weiters to stop.

Our biggest issues were the way we brought the ball into our forward line - often through long kicks that didn’t advantage our forward and our HBF not paying attention to Coll’s HFF running patterns.

To me this was a bigger issue then Weiters potentially stopping a goal or two.

I’m not disputing that losing one of our best 3 players doesn’t have an impact…of course it does. But It’s not like one of their talls popped up and kicked 4 second half goals.

Most of their goals came from their superior transition and overlap which would have been hard for Weiters to stop.

Our biggest issues were the way we brought the ball into our forward line - often through long kicks that didn’t advantage our forward and our HBF not paying attention to Coll’s HFF running patterns.

He stopped it against Sydney.
It also made it a lot harder for us to clear it from defence. And the telling stat that the Pies beat us in was 17 contested marks to 10.

Our biggest issue was was an inability to transition the ball from back half without a long kick down the line or a reset via throwin. Weitering helps with that, and their ball movement was hardly any better than ours.

Howe and Moore had 17 intercept possessions between them. Don't tell me Weitering would not have had an impact on the game, and - as stated above - the game was lost by under a goal. Any influence could've changed the result.

Hey New Blue, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I just don't think you will have many on this forum agreeing with you. Weiters is a huge OUT.
I think even having a different Medical sub to Carrol could have got us over the line. He cost us 2-3 goals.

I have still been grieving our loss.:(
In retrospect, now that I have had time to reflect on the game and our situation.
I am VERY proud of our club and the Coach. :thumbsu:
We are not making any excuses. Voss also played down the Free kick that should have been paid to Walsh at the end.
We are missing all of our key centre line Pillars, in Harry, Pittonet, Weiters, add other key players like McGovern, Kennedy, Martin, Oscar & Williams and yet we still nearly rolled the Pies. It was a fantastic effort.
Yes we will be under the pump.
And NO, we will not get sympathy from anyone. We are the Blues. Our injuries are already yesterdays news.
If we can win 2 out of the next 4, then bloody well done.
I love this club and where we are. I wouldn't want to swap with any other team.
I think this year we could still do something very special. GO BLUES !!!! :rainbow::rainbow:

I have still been grieving our loss.:(
In retrospect, now that I have had time to reflect on the game and our situation.
I am VERY proud of our club and the Coach. :thumbsu:
We are not making any excuses. Voss also played down the Free kick that should have been paid to Walsh at the end.
We are missing all of our key centre line Pillars, in Harry, Pittonet, Weiters, add other key players like McGovern, Kennedy, Martin, Oscar & Williams and yet we still nearly rolled the Pies. It was a fantastic effort.
Yes we will be under the pump.
And NO, we will not get sympathy from anyone. We are the Blues. Our injuries are already yesterdays news.
If we can win 2 out of the next 4, then bloody well done.
I love this club and where we are. I wouldn't want to swap with any other team.
I think this year we could still do something very special. GO BLUES !!!! :rainbow::rainbow:
totally agree.

i was really impressed with the boys efforts last week. so many injuries, a few had quiet/poor performances and still we nearly got away with a win.

in previous years that would have been a 4-6 goal loss.

we are no doubt earning respect from the competition.

I agree with a fair chunk of this. We conceded 79 points. Our average score against this year is 81. It's not like our defence fell in a massive hole in Weitering's absence.

If he hadn't been injured, would we have won? Yeah, maybe. Or maybe the Magpie attacks he'd have cut off were the ones where they missed the shot anyway. Who knows?

Against stronger forward lines Weitering will be a bigger loss. But against the Magpies our primary issues were elsewhere.

Back