Autopsy 2022 Rd 11 Weitering goes down creating too tall an order for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 11 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Loss hurt but terrific contest. Had we snatched it at the end (and boy was I willing it), would’ve been highway robbery. Devastated for Weitering, but we might just be building for a solid late season tilt.

But the G was rocking and an amazing atmosphere and afternoon with my boys, my clan, & my mum. Made the 6 hour drive back home all worthwhile.

Jim I was at the ground. I am going to make a personal plea to you to forget bringing up Newman as a potential drop. Some of his efforts were superb today. His intesity was terrific. I have in the past doubted him but no more. He is a MILE better overhead than I ever gave him credit for. He also got us organised again after the backline falling apart in the second half of the first quarter when Weitering went off.

He will keep his spot for years. And deserve to. Leave Newman be. Please. You’re just flat out wrong.
It's not about his best, and yes he did actually impose himself physically for a change. It's about his inability to double back and get involved again.

Football has long moved past the era where you can consistently make 1 big defensive effort and shut down the play, and we've got way too many players in our defence right now who play that way. Weitering is even that player sometimes, but he's also shutting down the best tall.

You can't have too many of them because it's feast or famine, which is a terrible position to be in on the last line of defence.

One of the more contentious frees in the book - like the only way it isn't paid is when the approaching player blindly flings an arm up as the ball arrives - probability of ball hitting arm less than 5%.

Not sure if it’s coincidental, but since the Young vs Zuhaar non suspension, I’ve noticed quite a few umps make really poor calls in regards to front on contact. I’m sure after that incident someone from AFL house would have had a chat with the umps and confused them even more.

Not sure if it’s coincidental, but since the Young vs Zuhaar non suspension, I’ve noticed quite a few umps make really poor calls in regards to front on contact. I’m sure after that incident someone from AFL house would have had a chat with the umps and confused them even more.
you can't be sure of that though, can you? we all know running at a player front on who is about to mark and putting him off to the extent he muffs it is nigh on impossible.......very few achieve it ..............

Whatever advantage Voss thinks he will get by playing Cripps in the ruck and sending TDK forward, I can tell you, it’s not worth the loss we are incurring as a team.

I like that it’s been tried but please use it more sparingly, against smaller opponents and let Paddy go back to hunting the ball and being able to hit the contest with a bit of momentum,

Just watched the replay. May I just say Nic Newman take a bow. Your intensity was top class. Your second efforts were superb. You showed great leadership. Absolute top shelf game. Liam stocker 2 bad kicks early but otherwise very solid. Young played better than was given credit for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the end of the world to loose to the filth, but it hurts more than any other loss.

I think they found us out a bit defensively, Weiters out must be worth more than 4 points.

Sidebum made a huge difference when the whips were cracking, and they played the long game better, but our overall class kept us in the game. A full healthy list and we win easily. They kick straight and they win by 30+

Overall it hurts to lose to them, but I will take this season over any of the last 20 ish

Not the end of the world to loose to the filth, but it hurts more than any other loss.

I think they found us out a bit defensively, Weiters out must be worth more than 4 points.

Sidebum made a huge difference when the whips were cracking, and they played the long game better, but our overall class kept us in the game. A full healthy list and we win easily. They kick straight and they win by 30+

Overall it hurts to lose to them, but I will take this season over any of the last 20 ish

Losing Weiters did hurt a lot. But in the end, you can’t go goalless for a quarter and expect to win many low scoring contests. That’s what killed us more than losing Weitering.

Losing Weiters did hurt a lot. But in the end, you can’t go goalless for a quarter and expect to win many low scoring contests. That’s what killed us more than losing Weitering.
Agreed. The ultra-conservative play in the 3rd qtr is what killed us. Didn't switch the play once until we were forced to because of an early play on call putting pressure on the kicker, only finding an outlet cross field.

Funnily enough we actually got inside 50 after that. Weird that.

Exactly. Feeling flat as well but not because of the result - we win that game with Weitering still in. Pies gameplan once Weitering went down was just kick it as high as possible i50 and take a mark on an undersized def. Its the injuries that are just soul crushing for the team. It honestly feels like a big joke at the moment with seemingly our most important players going down every week. And these arent 1 or 2 week injuries because they don't exist at Carlton. 6+ only. Just done with it tbh
I'm looking forward to seeing how we manage without Weiters. We had a great surprise seeing Charlie rise to the occassion without Hazza - and some!
So with our excellent coaching panel and the universal desire to succeed from our players...I reckon we will find a way. MSD selections should help a lot.
Bring it on!
And have a little faith in our incredible high achieving club this year.
Onward and upwards brothers and sisters.

Does anyone have some thoughts on why we persisted with long kicks down the line, especially considering our lack in tall marking options?
What made our game plan change so much from the previous 4 weeks?

Does anyone have some thoughts on why we persisted with long kicks down the line, especially considering our lack in tall marking options?

Preservation mode. Trying to get the ball as far as possible down the line, to perhaps create another stoppage, rinse and repeat

Pies made us play the game on their terms with their pressure and setup behind the ball. We fell into their plan which is unfortunate. Going long to their backmen is what they want. Maybe a bit of panic with their pressure and blokes not working hard enough to give ourselves other options

Wishful thinking, but I bloody hope the media point out our injury list if we drop a few games in a row from here.

The worst one was the Young kick down the line quite close to the centre square. It was obvious from where I was sitting that Cox would mark the ball before it left the boot. Clearing the ball from defence needs to be the focus over the next 2 weeks.

Wishful thinking, but I bloody hope the media point out our injury list if we drop a few games in a row from here.
Most were banging on about it already yesterday and last night....pretty obvious at the moment. And they're not bit players either.

Back