Autopsy 2022 Rd 15 Blues show top 4 credentials

Who played well for the Blues in Round 15 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After the fallout of what went down that led to him not getting our coaching job Lyon is unemployable as a head coach so he is bitter and twisted when he talks about us now to the point where it clouds his thinking of us so I find it best to just ignore any of his commentary about Carlton.
I have not listened to him enough this year to know if it he fully that way. I just heard him when we played Collingwood, both before and after the match. Have not watched Footy Classified this year so just seen the odd video placed on here from time to time. It does seem for us in few pieces I seen he is a bit bitter, but I not sure whether he will stay that way. He the type of person likely to get over it at some point and speak sense again. We shall see, but the media does funny things to even sensible people from time to time. But for moment would take with a grain of salt anything he says about us because of his fallout with admin of our club from that time. It probably was his last stint of getting back into coaching. I think he will not apply anywhere else again as head coach but could be a senior assistant if he wanted to and a head coach was comfortable with it.
North for example could use someone like him in some capacity as they are like rudderless ship at moment losing by around 8 goals or more 10 matches in a row. Noble is not working out.

Been thinking about how to beat Melbourne. langdon is seen as a key by most. Would suggest Cotts gets first crack with a fair degree of confidence
We playing St.Kilda. Let's beat them and win a lot more games before worrying about Melbourne. All in good time...

After the fallout of what went down that led to him not getting our coaching job Lyon is unemployable as a head coach so he is bitter and twisted when he talks about us now to the point where it clouds his thinking of us so I find it best to just ignore any of his commentary about Carlton.
* HIM.

He is a TOOL!! (sorry but he really pisses me off )

Had very good lists at Saints and Dockers and could not get the job done.
IMO left them both worse than he found them.

Good coaches are NOT EGOTISTICAL......Not about them , bout the TEAM .

Ross the whining sook WAS NOT A GOOD COACH!!! And he has shown since that it is ALL ABOUT HIM.
Now he is scorned he is an even a bigger flog.....In his mind he should have simply gotten every coaching job
he wanted and everyone else is wrong I reckon. HE WILL NEVER COACH AGAIN IMO. Been found out and being part of the
media has really shown his true colours. Wont last long in that role either. Just so full of himself, monotone boring and and consistently wrong.

Vossy has nothing to prove as a player (far cry from Lyon) and learnt off the best in Lethal. Both two of the greatest players of their time.
Lethal IMO also the greatest coach I have seen and Voss on same path.

They park their ego's and let their former results as players do the talking/ earn the respect for them .

Then get on with the job of being great leaders inspiring those under them.

Lyon has none of these traits.

Voss will be our next great coach after Parkin I have no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the very fact our coaching selection panel overlookded Lyon is the clubs own best testament that the review had its profound effect.
Pre Sayers surely would have nabbed us a dud yet again.

Its also ironic that with Vossy we have an 18 man defence anyway but with such a vibrantly different methodology.

Bloody helps when it is the 4th quarter and Cottrell is looking around wondering why everyone else is so exhausted...
Must be nice having an engine like that.
Cottrell only played 78% game time (as did our other wingers). As if that is going to tire him out.

Just look how he was moving when he went to the bench after kicking the awesome goal, effortless pace. Doubt Crippa could run that fast.

The defensive stuff was spot on, the effort seen to get to the opposition ball carriers was top rate. This wasn't the case in our losses, it's something we are still learning to do week in week out. Shows we can turn it on for a big game which means there is no getting blown away or overawed in finals. The intensity, effort and physicality was spot on.

Team defence was terrible at the start of the year but again it was good. We rarely let them take prime real estate and go up the middle or switch. Crucial when your defence has some holes.

McKay and Curnow won't always dominate against strong defences but what they will do is stop the opposition intercepting and playing tall defenders too loosely. Ball came to ground a lot and was hardly intercepted against a good team.

Walsh - he's one of the best in the comp, will be in the team of the decade when it comes up, he's a very special player.

Docherty - Has to be there in AA contention, he's really playing some top level footy. regular 25-30 possession half back.

Fisher - One of his best games, he hasn't always been consistent and had a stinker the week before but he cleaned up and found a lot of the ball playing high up the ground.

Saad - Another who could be in the AA team, his ability to beat his man, run players down, make up ground and get to contests at speed and hit targets is elite. His work rate and ability to carry the ball is top shelf.

Hewett - He looks back to his best, he looked sluggish last week but moved well this week.

Kennedy - Another player who looks back to their best after a lull. played well, moved well.

Cripps - Didn't have to have a huge game, just did his thing. Not sure he needed to ruck as much as he did. I like when he plays well but just plays his role and we roll over sides like that.

Newnes - He played well in his 200th. He's a likable player, he plays hard and when he finishes well he's really good. Thought he found space well too.

O'Brien - He's developing into quite a decent wingman. really liked his game, he competed physically and halved contests. Kicked a couple of important goals as well.

Cottrell - He played well, he just ran hard up and down and made life hard for the opposition. Like how he has tidied up his skills. The next level for him is the intensity and physicality he goes with when applying pressure. It's been down, it was better but it wasn't right up there like many in the team was. I think long term he could become a really good player. He's very light but guys like Fyfe and Langdon were built like that at one time.

Kemp - Kemp played well, played with confidence. He's third tall who played key position so his man was going to beat him at times but he didn't get off the chain and Kemp held him in most contests. IMO Kemp has all the tools to become a really good third tall. He can play key position if he has to, he can attack, he can run and he looks like he would be able to play on smalls. Would love to see him played in the back pocket along side Young and Weitering. This means he replaces Plowman who is going pretty well so it's a tough call.

Newman - Newman is a good player, get unfairly criticised at times but he just keeps beating his man, winning contests and using it well.

Silvagni - Back to playing his preferred position as a third tall forward. He's very good at it, takes a quick mind to play third tall forward and he does it well. He was excellent in the ruck, gives a lot after the tap.

Boyd - He's getting better at this AFL thing, he's going ok, he's not best 22 but he is quality backup. Very important to have.

De Koning - His game was going to be crucial and he did well. He's excellent around the ground and competed strongly in the ruck. I think he out ran Darcy and blew him up a bit. Huge talent.

Young - Having Weitering out has pushed his development further. He's playing with confidence and there is no doubt he is a confidence player. He's reliable. He's going to be really handy when he gets a little stronger. Just like to see him put a bit more on his spoils.

Plowman - He played ok, not his best but he did his job. He's been good having to step up into the third tall role.

Curnow - Kept at it and at it and finished strong. Start of the year he was the typical tall forward who was no good when the ball came to ground and struggled to go with his man on the rebound. He's fit now, his ground level game was top shelf. Crumbed, tackled, chased. That to go with his aerial game.

Durdin - He was quiet but he was involved. Ball just not going his way a lot and playing closer to goal more. It'll come if he keeps his efforts where they are.

Honey - Not a bad first game back, he fits well into that team. Fast, efforts to chase were there and he's super physical and strong. He'll need a few games to get fit. His last quarter was really good, fed a bit off and crunched a few blokes.

McKay - Worked his arse off and the results were a strong win. His marking wasn't on early but later he came on.

Motlop - Thought he was good, his tackling and pressure was good and he looked dangerous. Didn't kick a score or see much of it but he was getting to good spots and his effort and physicality was good.

Take a bow gents - what a ripping win. Contributors across the board, everyone played their roles.

I watched this game at a pub in Darwin with a mate (and fellow bagger) on his 21st birthday. Great present for the young fella.

Special mentions to:

Charlie - this man is box office. Grab a ticket, he is going to absolutely light up September. Freak. Love the jumper tug too - good luck to any other team on trying to pry him out of our club.

Saad - this bloke is just an absolute rock. Bombers fans taking the absolute p**s saying he can't/won't defend. Plays his guts out week in, week out. The flashy speed is just a bonus to what he adds to our backline group.

Doc - my love for this man has no bounds. If he is not AA this year, we riot. Name him skipper of it while you're at it - someone show me a more inspirational leader in the comp.

Nic Newman - no fuss, job done every week. That left foot coming out of defence is incredibly important for us. Tough as nails.

Walsh - need I say more? Still only 21...

Cotts - gee, he is fast becoming an incredible asset for our club. Runs all day, quick, has tidied up his kicking... And the confidence!!

Fish - my word... Putting together sort of year. If this bloke gets 30 odd touches a game we will win 9 times out of 10. Simple as that. Sees the game before it happens, his hands absolutely create in a stoppage situation and the left foot is a weapon.

Our culture - Voss / Sayers / Cook / Leadership Group. You have galvanised this football club. Tough, contested, heart on the sleeve stuff - yeah there's the flashy stuff too, that was always going to come with the talent, but its the hard stuff. If someone had told me 5ish years ago we would be seeing this, I would have laughed at you.

I am absolutely up and about, and we bloody should be. We are a sneaky chance this year and we can absolutely take it up to the best. Bring on the Lions and the Dees in the next couple of weeks.

I wont be able to watch replay until next week.

Can someone provide an honest opinion on how Honey played in this game? Good and Poor.
He looked clean and dangerous when he got involved. Just wasn't involved enough. Had one shot at goal from a good mark that he missed. Gave off another to Newnes that Newnes missed.

I'd give him another week as I think he provides something different to Motlop / Owies / Durdin / Fisher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wont be able to watch replay until next week.

Can someone provide an honest opinion on how Honey played in this game? Good and Poor.

Hard to assess his game, as many of these type of players can have big impact if they get their hands on the ball or if they are in striking distance to lay a tackle and then viewed as struggling if they don't

His pressure was generally very good and did make opposition players second guess their disposal at times. I still think his not a natural reader of the play, which doesn't allow to impact the play more often, at this stage.

I would prefer he gets another couple of games, but there are some decent players still to come in

Q3-15min gone, Cottrell sells a dummy to Walsh then runs in board. Sweet little 1-2 and rams the goal. That is poise, smarts and gut running, all the attributes we are wanting to see in a sharp little passage of play. Probably my highlight of the game.

Did Fisher try to drop his shoulder into Fyfe and miss on the boundary? hmmm.

Performing like that with our current injury list is such a bonus. Galvanises and sets the standard going forward.

Pivotal win. We'll look back at this one I reckon. This will be the cornerstone game.

I cheered on the Blues from a sports bar in Bali on the weekend. Was great to see the place packed out with so many fellow blue baggers.

Special shout out to the bloke wearing his Carlton beanie in 28+ degree weather!!

Are there many people up there in Bali?
Which bar & area?
Stadium & Bamboo I heard were some of minimal places open in South Kuta.

Bloody helps when it is the 4th quarter and Cottrell is looking around wondering why everyone else is so exhausted...
Must be nice having an engine like that.
there was a party for one of the player's kids at marvel and after the club song cotts & vanilla went straight into the party room and blew up 200 balloons....

I am actually more encouraged by this performance from Jesse Motlop than any of his previous games. Why? Because in this performance he demonstrated unselfishness and a team first ethic.

He's shown that he's got AFL speeds, is stronger overhead than he looks, has a bit of sneaky goalsense about him, but to this point he's not shown that kind of workrate defensively and hasn't attacked the ball carrier like that. He worked harder in defense chasing a man than he did when we had the ball, and he still wanted the ball.

I'd almost leave him in anyway if Owies is fit. Almost.

Are there many people up there in Bali?
Which bar & area?
Stadium & Bamboo I heard were some of minimal places open in South Kuta.
I’ve been staying further north in Seminyak and Canggu, and was watching from Adrenaline Sports Bar in Seminyak (just on the corner of Seminyak Square).

There would have been 50 odd blue baggers there cheering along side me, with a handful of Freo supporters as well.

Canggu is thriving and plenty of people still in Seminyak, though I think the numbers would still be just slightly down around Seminyak, when comparing to previous trips.

I haven’t spent any time in Kuta or Legian, but from what I’ve heard, it is still pretty quiet in these spots.

I’ve been staying further north in Seminyak and Canggu, and was watching from Adrenaline Sports Bar in Seminyak (just on the corner of Seminyak Square).

There would have been 50 odd blue baggers there cheering along side me, with a handful of Freo supporters as well.

Canggu is thriving and plenty of people still in Seminyak, though I think the numbers would still be just slightly down around Seminyak, when comparing to previous trips.

I haven’t spent any time in Kuta or Legian, but from what I’ve heard, it is still pretty quiet in these spots.
Y bar was full Carlton v Collingwood a few weeks back.

Back