Autopsy 2022 Rd 7 Blues down the Roos by 50

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches' Votes

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
4 - Sam Docherty (CARL)
4 - Adam Saad (CARL)
3 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
3 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
3 - Harry McKay (CARL)
2 - Lewis Young (CARL)
1 -
Todd Goldstein (NMFC)
It very interesting.
The 4 votes for both Docherty and Saad mean that only one coach from each side gave a 4 vote to one of them but then the other coach did not have have the other player of those two, in any of his votes.
So we have both coaches giving Crippa the 5 votes, one gave Doch 4 votes and the other coach gave Saad the 4 votes.
So they did not agree on how well Saad and Doch played.
I suspect Vossy gave Young the 2 votes but Noble gave him none.

I like Plow, someone mentioned he was a proverbial whipping boy and I posited a theory as to why.

Laconic style and smiling at strange times.

Why do you think he is a whipping boy?

He's whipping boy and reverse whipping boy.

He's the most talked about player on this board, I reckon. No matter what page I click on in the autopsy, a good chunk of posts will be about Plow. Which is pretty strange for a fringe best-22 back pocketer.

It very interesting.
The 4 votes for both Docherty and Saad mean that only once coach from each side gave a 4 vote to one of them but then the other coach did not have have the other player of those two, in any of his votes.
So we have both coaches giving Crippa the 5 votes, one gave Doch 4 votes and the other coach gave Saad the 4 votes.
So they did not agree on how well Saad and Doch played.
I suspect Vossy gave Young the 2 votes but Noble gave him none.
Vossy loved that bump on Zurhaar.

One thing that is interesting to note is that SW isn't clocking up the 15KMs he did pretty much every game last year. I wonder if this is a result of us trying to play a more direct brand of footy and not spread to the boundary as much.

I think he has a more limited role this year?

Last year he had a license to get as much pill as he pleased. He'd run rings around the oval and pick up 35-odd with 50% being on the inside and 50% being on the outside. Good balance of defense and attack too.

Reckon he's been strictly told to stay outside and attacking this year with Hewett, Cerra and Kennedy coming in and doing the defensive work; and he's just adapting is all.

Of course this is just a vibe, the stats could show complete opposite to what I'm saying.

Anyone got the footage or images of Cripps beating Goldstein in the ruck twice? Happened after half time from memory. Once for a tap and the other he grabbed it out of the contest. Both in your forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine, Saad unlocked a new level - I have utter confidence whenever he is in going for a contested possession.

And Carroll, in 10 years when your Brownlow favourite I’ll be able to say I saw your debut and first goal
for the old-timers I think Carroll has some Wayne Blackwell about him, hard and skilled winger

Cant believe after so many wanted a decent win...and now the thread struggles to 22 pages.

Seems only losing can generate much interest................................interesting eh
The more angry and unhappy people are about something, the more they engage. This is why social media is the way it is.

When we win #17 the post-match thread will be lucky to hit a dozen pages, but they'll be the best dozen pages you've ever read.

Kennedy had a massive night out of the middle. Has dropped off possession wise around the ground but has been huge so far this season. Be good to see him hit the scoreboard occasionally though
11 clearances, 5 tackles and 5 inside 50s. He’s back.

It's intriguing what people view as a pass mark in games like this. North are pretty average, sure, but they've scored 58, 74, 48, 75, 71, 61, and now 64 for an average team score of 64.42. So, the way they played in the second term is their best and they cannot sustain it; we knew that going in. We've seen how Noble wants them to play; he wants them to scrag, to bump and niggle, to tackle viciously and to see how aggravating he can be to his opposition. He's perfectly happy to hurt opponents if it gets his team to where he wants to go. Larkey's done stuff like this in the past, so has Zurhaar and Thomas. Their game at present can be summarized in two moments; Thomas' tackle of Carroll in the first term, and Horne-Francis' dive a few minutes later. As they improve, he might put in additional layers - they play similarly to St Kilda, funnily enough - but around 65 points a game is their score. They didn't surpass that score, despite our undermanned defense and despite losing Hewitt.

We knew they'd be down a few KPD's and we knew we should have an advantage there, but the interesting thing is that I actually think Bonar played Harry about as well as he could've. They were very, very fortunate that Harry and Charlie both missed shots they should've kicked and they kicked 5 straight in the second.

The important thing to come out of this game was the two bumps from Stocker and Young, and the reactions to the attempts at physical intimidation they tried this game. We have a reputation of being a nice side, a team that goes to water when the pressure goes up; it is good to see a physical reaction, a harder edge to our game when challenged. You cannot win a flag without getting dirty.

Even the first half was interesting, as it demonstrated a few things: one, Young, Weitering, Saad and Docherty are forming a good connection out there. Young and Weitering were at alternates deepest defender, and as deepest defender were able to call each other in or make the call to go themselves; we still have an issue with the ball getting out the back, but that's part of a work in progress. Two, our mids and half forwards work extremely well when the half forwards do their ******* job as far as pressure goes. It's the only game Martin has played this year I'd be contented with, and it should be his minimum level. Carroll was a spectacular in, and it's going to create headaches for the match committee. There, Harry and Charlie are onto a good thing, but if they'd nailed the shots they could've we'd have won by more than ten goals.

Think overmuch has been made of the umpiring during the game. The only thing I will say is that better umpiring would've prevented the spotfires and some of the niggle, controlled the game better, but the neither of those things really ruined the spectacle.

We take the points and the further development of Lewis Young, Jack Carroll, the midfield and the back six, coupled with the percentage boost a 50 point win brings.

Good win on Saturday....bump

Loved Harry
Saady
Plowie
Keneddy-y
Crippa-y

Great team win. All played well in their roles.
We sucked up Norfs energy then just powered away steadily.

The Freo game was extra tough losing Pitto so early.

If they'd lost dirty Darcy at the same stage, different outcome imo.

But the real difference was the output we had from our bottom 6 against North (compared to the Freo game where a handful were MIA).

Back