Autopsy 2022 Rd 7 Blues down the Roos by 50

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm...

Kind of obvious that there are exceptions to most rules, and racial abuse is an exception to that. And while I'm sure there are a cavalcade of budding lip readers out there in the world, there's also a similarly large group of people who have a misapprehension as far as their kissing skills go too.

The issue I take with Horne-Francis' reporting what was said is that he's in essence won a RS nomination because he fought a lone hand against our midfield. He won because of manner, not input. They've championed his performance not for its own sake but because of a supposed intangible; bravery, back to the wall, fight etc.

How back to the wall is it to have blabbed about getting sledged the first opportunity you got?
Are you saying that with his exceptional bravery then JHF's ultimate destiny is *

Unpopular opinion: That 'what's said on the field stays on the field' attitude is kind of nonsense.

It's nonsense in the most recent case of JSOS because about 2.5 seconds after it happened there were people right here gleefully posting what they'd just lip-read on TV.

It's nonsense every time anyone engages in racial abuse, for obvious reasons.

It's nonsense because what exactly is being protected by this? Is the idea that in the heat of the moment, someone might say something they don't want to cop to publicly and so we're trying to spare their blushes? I call BS. The new rule about umpire abuse has made it quite clear that players are entirely capable of controlling what they do or don't say.

How about: if a player in AFL or any other sport doesn't want their on-field abuse / sledging / whatever made public, then just don't say it? And if they do say something, be prepared to own it.
Of course if sledging goes over the line whether it's a racist remark or something else it should be called out and rightfully so, just like Taylor Walker.
But if it's just banter exactly like this was, it should be left on the field, they are all big boys I'm sure they can all handle something as little as this without going to the media and telling everyone what was said.

So much this :blueheart:

FR4bh80acAExsUU

Hmm...

Kind of obvious that there are exceptions to most rules, and racial abuse is an exception to that. And while I'm sure there are a cavalcade of budding lip readers out there in the world, there's also a similarly large group of people who have a misapprehension as far as their kissing skills go too.

The issue I take with Horne-Francis' reporting what was said is that he's in essence won a RS nomination because he fought a lone hand against our midfield. He won because of manner, not input. They've championed his performance not for its own sake but because of a supposed intangible; bravery, back to the wall, fight etc.

How back to the wall is it to have blabbed about getting sledged the first opportunity you got?
Fair enough. Certainly agree that Horne-Francis has been disproportionately portrayed as hero of the week in some quarters.

I guess I'm naturally skeptical of 'code of silence' style arrangements. Who benefits from the silence? It's pretty much always the people who are engaging in behaviour that would be met with disapproval if it was made public.

I'm not suggesting that every on-field utterance should be recorded and published, but I think the stigma around talking about them -- that expectation that on-field comments deserve special privacy unless there is some exceptional reason -- is on balance unhealthy. I'd much rather that comments on the field were treated in just the same way as comments off the field.

Just rewatching the game. That tunnel by Larkey was disgraceful. One week was insufficient.

And back on Horne-Francis, he gave away a free kick seconds before his JSOS strike, where he remonstrated with the umpire (🤨), then ran to charge in the back of JSOS. Pathetic.

Fair enough. Certainly agree that Horne-Francis has been disproportionately portrayed as hero of the week in some quarters.

I guess I'm naturally skeptical of 'code of silence' style arrangements. Who benefits from the silence? It's pretty much always the people who are engaging in behaviour that would be met with disapproval if it was made public.

I'm not suggesting that every on-field utterance should be recorded and published, but I think the stigma around talking about them -- that expectation that on-field comments deserve special privacy unless there is some exceptional reason -- is on balance unhealthy. I'd much rather that comments on the field were treated in just the same way as comments off the field.
I dunno. I'm probably impacted by my own bias; I didn't say a word I wouldn't want anyone to hear off-field, but I was a tagger. I copped elbows to the face, the back of the head, ribs; knees, kicks, punches, and yes some fairly putrid sledging. I took it on two levels; one, it meant what I was doing was working, they were getting distracted, and two it gave me added impetus to make my tackles stick and hurt, let me bump and bump to hurt without feeling too bad.

Some people get their dander up and say s**t they shouldn't say. I'm not going to go in front of their parents or partners and repeat their words to them. I get the idea that you shouldn't say in private what you wouldn't want heard in public, but there needs to be at least an element of privacy in football.

If they cannot be themselves out on the park, what are we watching the game for?

Of course if sledging goes over the line whether it's a racist remark or something else it should be called out and rightfully so, just like Taylor Walker.
But if it's just banter exactly like this was, it should be left on the field, they are all big boys I'm sure they can all handle something as little as this without going to the media and telling everyone what was said.
yeah, nah - one person's banter is another's insult...........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno. I'm probably impacted by my own bias; I didn't say a word I wouldn't want anyone to hear off-field, but I was a tagger. I copped elbows to the face, the back of the head, ribs; knees, kicks, punches, and yes some fairly putrid sledging. I took it on two levels; one, it meant what I was doing was working, they were getting distracted, and two it gave me added impetus to make my tackles stick and hurt, let me bump and bump to hurt without feeling too bad.

Some people get their dander up and say s**t they shouldn't say. I'm not going to go in front of their parents or partners and repeat their words to them. I get the idea that you shouldn't say in private what you wouldn't want heard in public, but there needs to be at least an element of privacy in football.

If they cannot be themselves out on the park, what are we watching the game for?
I've met gethoraide..............nuggety...........

Appreciate your thoughtful replies. They're making me reflect on what's behind my own opinions.

Bottom line for me I guess is that I despise the kind of abuse and sledging that slides towards bullying. People engaging in it might not even realise the effect they're having on someone else, but I've seen what it can do to someone. I'm not saying that everyone who says something out of line is a bully, but a code of silence is exactly the kind of environment where that sort of thing can thrive. When there's a tension between the rights of someone to speak privately and the rights of someone else to not have to endure abuse, I'm going to side with the second one every time.

That said, the spotlight on players these days is kind of insane, and I do get what you mean about players being able to be themselves. I wouldn't want an environment where every last thing that's said gets aired for public titillation. On the other hand, being able to be yourself can't be an excuse for everything. I'm glad that umpire abuse is being stamped out, and I guess I reckon the game could do with less player abuse too. Shedding a bit of sunlight on it seems like the best way to achieve that.

And now your a mod...geez mate....glutton for punishment or what?..........;):D

Just rewatching the game. That tunnel by Larkey was disgraceful. One week was insufficient.

And back on Horne-Francis, he gave away a free kick seconds before his JSOS strike, where he remonstrated with the umpire (🤨), then ran to charge in the back of JSOS. Pathetic.
Reckon Jack was a bit pi$$ed off as well, didn't he get injured by a similar swinging arm by Zac Merritt and miss games?

Yeah but it’s all good to throw a cheap shot on Jack from behind and then Jacks the bad guy for pointing out the obvious..lol see ya in Tassie Norf

Exactly. The kid has just lost all respect - cry baby, who can't take a sledge but more importantly 'goes running to mummy'. My bet our boys and in particular JSoS will be waiting for the return match.

Back