Review 2022 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much agree with comments above. Harder draw next year due to finnishing position and I expect Port and Carlton to be more competative so we will have our work cut out. That said, I'd love to see Darcy recapture his around the ground form of 2021, he was exceptional then but has dropped off considerably.

Very much looking forward to watching Amiss develop, he has a fotty brain. Erasmus and Johnson being given their deserved opportunities and Treacy fit and firing. He straightens us up so much, leading straight at the ball. A fit Fyfe and Sturt (hope so) would be the cream on the cake.

Lastly I want Freo to elevate SCHULTZ to the main list!

Availability is not all luck. Yes the odd break etc is unavoidable but those don’t stand out as much when you’re not having a bunch of soft tissue injuries and repeat tears etc as we did under the previous setup.

Look at Melbourne and Brissie in recent years, watch Port and hopefully us going forward. Good availability is definitely repeatable.

Given I was one of the non-believers who thought we'd stagnate having lost Cerra, this season has been a massively unexpected surprise. There are a ton of positives which most other posters have listed but after having been stuck in that dreaded 16-10 zone for years we took some big steps forward.

Earning and then winning a home final gives the season a big tick. The semi-final experience will be valuable given this group will hopefully have a fair few high stakes finals in the future.

Some disappointing performances mixed in but by and large we were a very good footy team for the majority of the year. Unfortunately it's going to be an eventful trade period but hopefully we can come out of it at least on par with plenty of natural growth in the squad left to come. Still a few things to work on but it's nice to be leading into the next season with some justifiable optimism.
  • BnF - Brayshaw
  • Best 1st year player - NOD
  • Best game - Away vs Melb
  • Worst game - Home vs Melb
  • Best moment - Freddy tap back to Shultz
  • What’s need for the next step - Better mid-forward connection, 22+ more games of experience for the younger brigade, better wet weather football.
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year - Amiss, Johnson

Pretty much agree with comments above. Harder draw next year due to finnishing position and I expect Port and Carlton to be more competative so we will have our work cut out. That said, I'd love to see Darcy recapture his around the ground form of 2021, he was exceptional then but has dropped off considerably.

Very much looking forward to watching Amiss develop, he has a fotty brain. Erasmus and Johnson being given their deserved opportunities and Treacy fit and firing. He straightens us up so much, leading straight at the ball. A fit Fyfe and Sturt (hope so) would be the cream on the cake.

Lastly I want Freo to elevate SCHULTZ to the main list!
The draw was still difficult.
Still had Melbourne twice, Geelong in Geelong, Richmond in Melbourne, Bulldogs away. GWS in Canberra, Gold Coast away.
Carlton twice- our freaking bogey team for some reason. Only had North Melbourne once, when Geelong had them and west coast twice each. 4 easy games.
Just the home games this season were poor v away games.
St Kilda, Sydney, Collingwood, Melbourne. Should’ve won two of those.

• BnF- Brayshaw.
  • Best 1st year player- NOD- well first full season. Otherwise Amiss.
  • Best game- Melbourne at MCG. Where it all clicked and players backed themselves. Bulldogs final was epic.
  • Worst game- St Kilda, easily. How we loss that, was shocking. Hated losing that. Melbourne at home was so bad and had everyone pessimistic next few weeks against Bulldogs. But changed and got the final 3 wins and another after that.
  • Best moment- Frederick’s chase down tackle. Just everything of the team ethos. Well set up, force the turnover and Walters with the goal. The stadium was so loud and electric after that.
  • What’s need for the next step- experience and definitely a functioning forward line. Every line is healthy and competitive. Forwards need a spark and improvement.
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year- Amiss. Guy is a gun, bulk up with Treacy, Sturt and Frederick- it’ll be a good forward line. Need Tabs or another KPF coming in. Logue should stay but who knows?

Best and Fairest: Brayshaw
Best first year player: NOD
Best game: Melbourne at the G, Dogs EF, Geelong in Geelong
Worst game: Loss v St Kilda, ugly day that.
Best moment: Barra's farewell, NOD kicking ****ed goals fortnightly, Freddy's 2nd halves v Melbourne and Brisbane
What's needed: Better ball movement when teams have a decent zone + more competent forward half
Most excited to watch: Amiss, NOD

It's been a great year, one of the most enjoyable I can remember. Having a full squad available, watching young players develop in front of our eyes, watching Serong and Brayshaw evolve into leaders, I've loved just about every minute of it. Knowing there's players like Erasmus, Johnson and Sturt in the twos just chomping at the bit for next season just adds to my sense of anticipation.

• BnF - Brayshaw
  • Best 1st year player - Amiss
  • Best game - Elimination final
  • Worst game - St Kilda
  • Best moment - Freddy walking around the man on the mark against Melb and slotting it from 40
  • What’s need for the next step - Continued evolution of the squad and game plan. The bits are mostly there, just need JL and the assistants to calibrate things correctly
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year - Amiss...his performance in those two finals was quite extraordinary. He showed maturity, nous, skill and athleticism. The sky is the limit with him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back