Preview 2022 Round 6 GWS v St Kilda, 7.50pm @ Manuka Oval, Friday 22 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So, round 6 and it's desperation time already for GWS - deja vu from last year? St Kilda started with a poor loss in round 1 and the knives were quickly out for their coach, Brett Ratten, but he turned his season around with 4 good wins on the trot, and the Saints now sit in 4th position on the ladder, and playing good football. On the other hand, while GWS has shown glimpses of good footy, we've dropped off at crucial times in most matches to allow the opposition to go on goal-scoring runs. Against the Swans, it was late term 3 & term 4 that we gave away a 6 goal run; we did the same to Freo in round 4. Against Melbourne it was a 10-goal run in term 3 - 12 goals across terms 3 & 4. Even in the Suns game, we gave up 4 goals in a row to end the game. While we can blame the umps for some of that, it's a pretty clear indictment of the players in a 5-game selection.

What's the cause? It's inexplicable really. We should have had some hardened junior players after last year, and while suffering our usual list of missing players, there's enough talent in the team to not be losing as we have. Some blame has to go on the coach(es) - players being played out of position as we had against Melbourne with Keeffe and Haynes is just ridiculous. Not taking two rucks against Gawn and Jackson is inexplicable to me - even though Flynn did hold his own IMHO against Gawn. But our forwards are not being effective in the F50, and somewhat such as Flynn or Briggs who can take a mark would help. Toby returning will be a fillip - and hopefully he comes back in as the duty captain - but he cannot fix all of the problems.

The VFL team is flying, and I'd like to give some of those guys a run. It might not fix the first team, but surely it would shake any complacency from them, and give hope to the lesser lights that performance gets rewarded. Callaghan went OK in his first game, and others such as Fahey and Hamilton have been playing well. Of course, Preuss is back from suspension too.

The other thing is, if guys are not fully fit - as Whitfield & Haynes appear they may be - give them a rest and let someone who's fully fir get a chance.

So, what would I like to see?

Preuss for Stein; keeping Keeffe to cover Max King at times (given his height, although King is more mobile) & also Flynn as forward/relief ruck
Toby for Hill; he's not fully focussed, so see if he can regain it in VFL
Peatling for MdB; Dutchy's starting to decline with his age, whereas I love Peatling's competitiveness

I'd give XOH a spell in VFL too. Isaac Cumming should hopefully return, or I could give Jacob Wehr a chance, put him on one wing and drop Kenners back to do a defensive job on Jack Higgins. Lord knows we're not getting our wingers to work well. Leave Whitfield to be the other winger for most of the time, with Finn Callaghan spending some time at wing, HBF or HFF. The other consideration would be putting Cooper Hamilton onto Higgins as a defensive role - not sure how that would go for team balance though, but I like his grit.

If Haynes isn't right, let's debut Cam Fleeton and see how he goes, or Leek Aleer if he's deemed ahead of Cam.

That's probably enough changes. No doubt too many for the match committee, but we need to try some different things - other than just playing guys out of position!

What are your thoughts?

(* I reckon Flynn gets dropped not Keeffe or Stein; Bobby probably stays, MdB too. Preuss, Toby & Isaac in for Flynn, XOH and ? will probably be the real changes. Hopefully not Callaghan.)

I would be very surprised if Jack Steele doesn’t put in a near career best performance.

You would imagine his motivation levels would be sky high against us in CBR.

If we don’t play Preuss and Flynn I give up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What are your thoughts?

(* I reckon Flynn gets dropped not Keeffe or Stein; Bobby probably stays, MdB too. Preuss, Toby & Isaac in for Flynn, XOH and ? will probably be the real changes. Hopefully not Callaghan.)
Playing 2 rucks sounds OK, hopefully Flynn presence forward, especially if he clunks one or two early, will free up Hogan to lose his tagger and take a few marks across half-forward.
XO hasn't been great.
Peatling and MdB, is one a better play-maker; more creative ball-in-hand?. Crying out for Daniels. If Hill dropped, our forward line is too big and slow.

To be honest, I don't see the strongest need to play 2 rucks this week - but I'd do so anyway. Last week against Gawn & Jackson was certainly needed but not done, whereas with Paddy Ryder out, it's not IMHO as important against Marshall & Jack Hayes (taking nothing away against either of those players).

But I see Flynn playing forward in lieu of Keeffe or Haynes as more important. Even though Toby's back, the forward line has not fired except for the Gold Coast game, and getting someone who can and does crash packs and can take a contested mark would help IMHO.

I just don't see it happening based on past experience though! So I prepare to be disappointed.

Flynn getting dropped would be incredibly stiff wouldn't it? Thought he was great on the weekend against a really difficult matchup and to drop him after that would be a massive slap in the face. Leon got asked who's going to take King this week and he said Taylor and Keefe, so it seems like Keefe will play again that might mean Stein goes out for Preuss. If it's not Stein that comes out for Preuss then it's probably going to end up being Flynn.

Last edited:
Flynn getting dropped would be incredibly stiff wouldn't it? Thought he was great on the weekend against a really difficult matchup and to drop him after that would be a massive slap in the face. Leon got asked who's going to take King this week and he said Taylor and Keefe, so it seems like Keefe will play again that might mean Stein goes out for Preuss. If it's not Stein that comes out for Preuss then it's probably going to end up being Flynn.
Yes, that was my thinking too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TFG’s personal electricity, plus IC and playing at home, will be enough to get the win on Friday night.

However, it be like wallpaper over a structurally compromised wall.

IMO the longer the HC transition is delayed the fewer matches we’ll win in 2022, and the more instability it will bring to the club.

TFG’s personal electricity, plus IC and playing at home, will be enough to get the win on Friday night.

However, it be like wallpaper over a structurally compromised wall.

IMO the longer the HC transition is delayed the fewer matches we’ll win in 2022, and the more instability it will bring to the club.

Saints are too quick for us.

I reckon we will win. Toby back will lift the team, Preuss and Cumming will help. Canberra on Friday night is no fun. Probably a good idea to tag Steele as expect him to be setting himself for this game.

There's not a lot more can be done in terms of the team really. We've got who we've got available, with a number out injured, and a few of the available ones are down on their best form. We either replace them with someone less experienced, and accept the limitation that comes from that, or continue to play the more experienced players and understand that we're not getting their best. I'd just like to see us play guys in their best positions, and give some of the kids a run rather than continue to persist with guys who are not at their best.

KPFs: HH, Hogan, Flynn
Small medium forwards: Greene, Peatling (+ Taranto, Coniglio, Green rotating forward)
Ruck: Preuss
Inside mids: Green, Taranto, Coniglio, Kelly, Ward, Bruhn, Ash
Wings: Callaghan, Whitfield
Med backs: Perryman, Cumming, Kennedy
KPDs: Taylor, Keeffe, Haynes (happy to give Fleeton or Aleer a run if he's not fully fit), Idun

Two things… Whitfield is playing injured… can’t play wing. And Kennedy shouldn’t be playing. His kicking is so ordinary.

Two things… Whitfield is playing injured… can’t play wing. And Kennedy shouldn’t be playing. His kicking is so ordinary.
I know there has been rumours about an injury, but it's not clear that he is. His stats are down a touch, and he's definitely not hitting targets as accurately as he did in past years (via eye test), but he's still mid-20s in disposals, 71-78% disposal efficiency by statistics, and most matches top 3 in metres gained. (This is where public knowledge vs team knowledge obviously has us at a disadvantage in considering the right course of action.)

I accept he may be hampered by an issue, but it's not so major as to cause the match committee to rest him. If he really is unable to play wing, then he probably shouldn't be at half back either - put him HFF and see what he can do there. If that were to be the case, I wouldn't mind seeing one of the kids given a shot at playing the wing position, providing we did it properly. Josh Fahey or Cooper Hamilton have impressed in VFL and have the stamina.

I don't agree with your comment on Kennedy. I don't think he's as good a kick as Whitfield usually is, but he understands his limitations reasonably well and tends to have a pretty good disposal efficiency. I can see Peatling, Fahey and Hamilton jostling for the HBF role that Kenners plays when he's in the team.

The knock on Perryman is his lack of speed, but everything else is great - he's a smart footballer, great hands, competitive as hell, one of the better disposers of the ball. Oh for some afterburners!

I don't know. Stein works hard off the ball, and has great 1percenter stats. He won't get dropped. Be great to have Toby back. As for Hill...

Via BigFooty mobile app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back