2022 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Roglic dislocated his shoulder in the fall caused by the dislodged hay bale. That would explain why he went from the front group, to a minute behind the Vingegaard group.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app
And put it back in himself on the side of the road as his team rode past. 😲. Bloke has shattered many mirrors and pissed on black cats whilst walking under a ladder.

Really entertaining stage and great win for Clarke, but as was always possible the stage had had pretty massive ramifications on the GC. Although the cobbles weren’t really responsible for that.

Personally I don’t mind the inclusion of cobble sections every few years. I like the idea of each ‘generation’ of GC contenders seeing some really varied routes, but I do get the get the argument against their inclusion.

Really entertaining stage and great win for Clarke, but as was always possible the stage had had pretty massive ramifications on the GC. Although the cobbles weren’t really responsible for that.

Personally I don’t mind the inclusion of cobble sections every few years. I like the idea of each ‘generation’ of GC contenders seeing some really varied routes, but I do get the get the argument against their inclusion.
I like having them in there. I like that the Tour is decided by the best overall rider - not just the best at climbing and ITT disciplines.

It does introduce an element of luck, as distinct from pure skill. Hay bales could be dislodged by motorbikes on any stage, but the risk of puncturing is obviously much higher on the cobblestones... and once you're dropped on the cobblestones it's much harder to regain lost ground.

At the end of the day though, there is a skill to riding the cobblestones, and more often than not it's the most skilled riders who emerge victorious in the cobblestone classics. I like having another test, of a different skill, included in the Tour.

I just wish they'd stop the chicken s**t, and put the finish line at the end of the Arenberg sector, instead of 200m before its start.

Who do people think was BOG last night? I'm split between Pog & WVA.

Pog was simply superb on the cobblestones, always riding at the very front of the peloton, and frequently leading them across the cobblestones himself. He simply could not have been more impressive. He answered every challenge, going with the leader every time they put their foot down and dropped the other riders behind them.

WVA fell early, and never really got back to the front of the peloton thereafter. However, the work he did on the front of the chase group was MVP stuff as far as Jumbo were concerned. Ultimately, he limited Pog's time gain over Vingegaard to just 13 seconds - saving Vingegaard's Tour in the process. As an added bonus, he pulled the gap back enough to hold onto the golden fleece for another day.

Both riders had a completely different race, but both had grounds for being BOG in my eyes.

Who do people think was BOG last night? I'm split between Pog & WVA.

Pog was simply superb on the cobblestones, always riding at the very front of the peloton, and frequently leading them across the cobblestones himself. He simply could not have been more impressive. He answered every challenge, going with the leader every time they put their foot down and dropped the other riders behind them.

WVA fell early, and never really got back to the front of the peloton thereafter. However, the work he did on the front of the chase group was MVP stuff as far as Jumbo were concerned. Ultimately, he limited Pog's time gain over Vingegaard to just 13 seconds - saving Vingegaard's Tour in the process. As an added bonus, he pulled the gap back enough to hold onto the golden fleece for another day.

Both riders had a completely different race, but both had grounds for being BOG in my eyes.
It's WVA. I've said why Pog shouldn't get best on above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's WVA. I've said why Pog shouldn't get best on above.
Because you think he should have sat up & waited, after the hay bale incident? Sorry, but that's bullshit.

The riders were already going full gas when that happened. I have no doubt they would have sat up & waited if the incident happened with 100km to go, before the start of the pave - but it was never going to happen in the last 30km, half way through the cobbled sectors, with most of the peloton already dropped and spread out over miles behind the leaders.

Pog rode superbly. End of.

Because you think he should have sat up & waited, after the hay bale incident? Sorry, but that's bullshit.

The riders were already going full gas when that happened. I have no doubt they would have sat up & waited if the incident happened with 100km to go, before the start of the pave - but it was never going to happen in the last 30km, half way through the cobbled sectors, with most of the peloton already dropped and spread out over miles behind the leaders.

Pog rode superbly. End of.
Yep. That is the only time in recent memory where they haven't done that.

He rode extremely well but he should have waited. You aren't changing my mind on that.

I'm still disappointed that the contenders (in particular UAE and Pogacar) didn't sit up and wait for Roglic. It wasn't a race incident.
It was Bora, Pog had no team with him. The 2 that seemingly rode for/with Pog was Bettiol and Stuyven. Bettiol being the odd one given he had 2 team mates in the break, might of been some weird looks back at the team hotel. I think they just respected that he was riding at the front with the classics guys so just kept rolling turns with him.

Yep. That is the only time in recent memory where they haven't done that.

He rode extremely well but he should have waited. You aren't changing my mind on that.
So what exactly did you expect to happen?

Pog didn't have any teammates, and the other riders were all classics riders who were racing for the stage win - they had no reason to stop & take pity on yet another rider who had fallen out of the main group.

Should he have dropped out of the group he was in? Should he have sat by the roadside, while the WVA/Vingegaard group rode by, waiting for Roglic to pop his shoulder back into joint?

There is simply no scenario, under these circumstances, where Pog could or should have waited for Roglic. It just wasn't possible or even plausible.

Work means I can't really stay up and watch unfortunately, and it seems like I missed an epic stage based on the LR recap on Youtube.

I'm still disappointed that the contenders (in particular UAE and Pogacar) didn't sit up and wait for Roglic. It wasn't a race incident.
Unless the vision I've seen missed a whole bunch, I have no idea what you'd expect. JV didn't even stop for Roglic

Work means I can't really stay up and watch unfortunately, and it seems like I missed an epic stage based on the LR recap on Youtube.

Unless the vision I've seen missed a whole bunch, I have no idea what you'd expect. JV didn't even stop for Roglic
JV had to split their support between Vigegaard and Roglic because UAE/Bora didn't stop.

I like these tactics from Visma. Their dom's had a tough day yesterday but they still have to defend the jersey. Wout never gets tired so just go in the break and everybody has a day off in the bunch. And who is gonna expect the yellow jersey to get in the break?

I like these tactics from Visma. Their dom's had a tough day yesterday but they still have to defend the jersey. Wout never gets tired so just go in the break and everybody has a day off in the bunch. And who is gonna expect the yellow jersey to get in the break?
Ingenious. He's a freak.

BEX have been quiet in terms of the chase. Maybe they're hoping they can launch an attack on the last climb (maybe from Durbo?) to break it up for Bling?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back