2023/24 Melbourne Victory Thread - The Popovic Curse Strikes

Remove this Banner Ad

Man "oRiGiNaL RiVaLrY" still feels so manufactured to me and borrowed from another code. The big blue is still the king fixture of the league. Though rate it higher than the City/Heart match which is the definition of manufactured.

Big Blue
Adelaide
Any standard A League fixture
Then City.

That surprises me coming from a longterm fan of the team/league.

This is the least manufactured of all the rivalries. It's not a derby that exists only cos of shared cities or good marketing, this rivalry was created and intensified on the pitch, starting obviously with that season 2 grand final with Muscy vs Kozzy.

The name is just that, a name. It is nor hand, nor foot, Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part Belonging to a man.

This is the least manufactured of all the rivalries. It's not a derby that exists only cos of shared cities or good marketing, this rivalry was created and intensified on the pitch, starting obviously with that season 2 grand final with Muscy vs Kozzy.

The name is just that, a name. It is nor hand, nor foot, Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part Belonging to a man.

Plenty of pissants though.

How has it intensified though? There's been only a few finals between the two and one it was super one sided? It just feels to me like it started as a Vic vs SA thing since the league was new and they had to pluck some marquee matches from somewhere. Djite even said tonight on the broadcast it's like "kick a Vic" which is borrowed from another code and is what made me mention it.

Genuine question though. Is it a carry over from the earliest days in the league? I was born regional Vic but grew up in QLD since the 80s and my earliest national comp allegiances go back to the Brisbane Strikers. I moved to Melb in 2008 and started following Victory and the A League shortly after and not only do I not share the same engrained animosity towards SA I can't recall a single moment in the league since that has made me want to beat Adelaide more than any other team. Against Sydney though it feels like there is at least one moment each season that further fuels the fire.

How has it intensified though? There's been only a few finals between the two and one it was super one sided? It just feels to me like it started as a Vic vs SA thing since the league was new and they had to pluck some marquee matches from somewhere. Djite even said tonight on the broadcast it's like "kick a Vic" which is borrowed from another code and is what made me mention it.

Genuine question though. Is it a carry over from the earliest days in the league? I was born regional Vic but grew up in QLD since the 80s and my earliest national comp allegiances go back to the Brisbane Strikers. I moved to Melb in 2008 and started following Victory and the A League shortly after and not only do I not share the same engrained animosity towards SA I can't recall a single moment in the league since that has made me want to beat Adelaide more than any other team. Against Sydney though it feels like there is at least one moment each season that further fuels the fire.

Wow. 6-0 GF. Last minute winner by Robbo in semi that same season. Throat grabs. Pissants. Plenty of last minute winners. Muscat - a huge villain in Adelaide. Bodies in barrels etc.

It's a massive rivalry, as big as any in Aussie sport.

Wow. 6-0 GF. Last minute winner by Robbo in semi that same season. Throat grabs. Pissants. Plenty of last minute winners. Muscat - a huge villain in Adelaide. Bodies in barrels etc.

It's a massive rivalry, as big as any in Aussie sport.

Like I said, anything in the last 15 years though? It's a fixture labelled the "original rivalry" but following it since about 09/10 anything of note? As opposed to MV vs SFC which between about 2013 and 2019 has been about as hostile and competitive as any other fixtures in the comp.

Like I said, anything in the last 15 years though? It's a fixture labelled the "original rivalry" but following it since about 09/10 anything of note? As opposed to MV vs SFC which between about 2013 and 2019 has been about as hostile and competitive as any other fixtures in the comp.

Has anything of note happened in the last 10 years?

"Chasing forlornly" and the Newcastle heist were good fun, but I don't know that they meant anything to other fans of the league.

Has anything of note happened in the last 10 years?

"Chasing forlornly" and the Newcastle heist were good fun, but I don't know that they meant anything to other fans of the league.

Dunno. I just always felt more buzz at home games against Sydney. More bums in seats, more hostile traveling fans. Annual Jan 26 fixture feels like an occasion. The Muscat vs Arnold manager period felt peak in recent times.

Didn't mean to rub anyone the wrong way, I just get the original rivalry description deal without being told that it is and it just feels like it was first invented due to Aussie Rules when the league and clubs were new.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine A League promotes itself like gladiators

I suspect you were joking about this, but I can't stop thinking about what an amazing marketing idea it could be... if only we had a league and a broadcaster even remotely interested in promoting the game.

Having Fornaroli and McLaren and Taggart on the field in action, with their likeness alternating between themselves and a comically enhanced gladiator? I can see it in my head, and it's incredible.

I suspect you were joking about this, but I can't stop thinking about what an amazing marketing idea it could be... if only we had a league and a broadcaster even remotely interested in promoting the game.

Having Fornaroli and McLaren and Taggart on the field in action, with their likeness alternating between themselves and a comically enhanced gladiator? I can see it in my head, and it's incredible.
🤣 I meant like gladiators in terms of quantum of ads but this would be absolute gold 🤣🤣🤣

Eli Adams

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back