A-League A-Leagues Men and Women 2023/24 Off Season Thread

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-Leagues poised to scrap controversial grand final deal with Destination NSW​

The A-Leagues’ controversial grand final sale to Sydney could be reversed in a move that has the potential to mend fractured relationships between the struggling competition and angry fans.

According to sources with knowledge of the discussions, who were not authorised to speak publicly due to the sensitivity of the matter, the NSW government and the Australian Professional Leagues are in talks to scrap the remainder of the $12 million, three-year deal that guaranteed Sydney would host the men’s and women’s grand finals through to 2025.

That contract could instead be spun off into a “Magic Round”, in which a full weekend of fixtures in the men’s and women’s A-League would be played in NSW, with grand final hosting rights to return to the team that earns it – a tradition in domestic football stretching back to the National Soccer League.
While the sources have cautioned that nothing has been finalised yet, if an agreement is reached it will signal the end of one of the most tumultuous chapters in the A-Leagues’ history.
The decision to sell the grand finals to Sydney, via Destination NSW, was announced in the days after the Socceroos’ inspiring run to the round of 16 at last year’s World Cup in Qatar.
Instead of harnessing the Socceroos’ momentum, the domestic game was plunged into immediate chaos, with players and clubs speaking out against the APL, former Melbourne Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro stepping down from the APL board, and active fan groups announcing a boycott of matches.

Some Melbourne Victory supporters were so incensed they invaded the AAMI Park pitch in December’s derby against Melbourne City, with the man who threw a bucket of sand at goalkeeper Tom Glover jailed for three months.
The APL, which was motivated primarily by financial considerations in selling the grand final to Sydney, was taken aback by the ferocity of the backlash from all corners of the football community, with fans broadly rejecting the premise that the deal was the start of a “new tradition” for the game in Australia.
Last season’s A-League Men grand final was held at CommBank Stadium, where the Central Coast Mariners thumped City 6-1. The women’s version, in which Western United lost 4-0 to Sydney FC, was played at the same venue. Both defeated teams would have earned hosting rights under the old mode, and neither match sold out, although the women’s clash attracted a record crowd of 9519.

Destination NSW did not directly address the grand final discussions when this masthead sought comment, but a spokesperson said: “Destination NSW looks forward to working with the APL to maximise all future football events to be held in NSW.”

The sources claimed the NSW government was behind the move to revisit the deal, after choosing not to support a mooted A-Leagues All Stars clash with Bayern Munich earlier this year due to budget restraints, but that the APL also saw it as an opportunity to cut its losses.

[EDIT] not sure if paywalled so I've cut and pasted the article in the post moderator giggler99

Last edited by a moderator:
They probably looked at how successful Magic Round was for the AFL and decided that would probably make them more money.

AFL?? Magic Round has been around for 15 years. Then the NRL brought it here. Not sure AFL has anything to do with this.

More likely the NSW government can see the ill-will towards the grand final decision and this as a much better alternative.

We all knew this was a bad idea except the APL or course :drunk:
Townsend is probably selling the Middle East on the concept like Lyle Langley the monorail salesman in the Simpsons

happy season 4 GIF

AFL?? Magic Round has been around for 15 years. Then the NRL brought it here. Not sure AFL has anything to do with this.

More likely the NSW government can see the ill-will towards the grand final decision and this as a much better alternative.

I know the NRL did but they are just drawing fans from 2 states for the most part. The APL/NSW Government will be looking at drawing fans from all over the country and NZ. Looking at the AFL as an example is better for them than looking at the NRL.

Last para:

"Teague is the Club’s final new signing of the pre-season transfer period joining Daniel Arzani, Zinedine Machach, Adama Traore and Fabian Monge along with the re-signing of Roderick Miranda and the elevation of Franco Lino, Jordi Valadon, Joshua Inserra and Christian Siciliano to the senior squad ahead of the 2023/24 Isuzu UTE A-League season."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timmy's son has signed with Brisbane.

Stephen Conroy is the new and inaugural Independent chairman of the APL

Letter to the fans from new A-Leagues Independent Chairman Stephen Conroy​

Former federal minister Stephen Conroy has been announced as the new Independent Chairman of the Australian Professional Leagues. He begins his tenure with a letter to A-Leagues fans. Read it in full below.

Dear fellow supporters,

My name is Stephen Conroy and, like you, I’m a football fan. I have been for more than 50 years. Fundamentally that’s what lies behind my introducing myself to you today as the first independent chair of the A-Leagues.

As a father standing on the side lines in Melbourne’s suburbs; an amateur player and former junior state representative, and a Chelsea fan since my childhood, I know only too well the incredible range of emotions that our game provides. There is no better feeling than when you are winning. And that is the sustained feeling that I want for our professional game.

I have never seen greater opportunity for the immense potential of Australian and New Zealand professional football to be realised than I do today. The CommBank Matildas and the Subway Socceroos showed the world the heights they could reach in the past year, and the Isuzu UTE A-League Men and the Liberty A-League Women – the competitions where almost all of those stars were made – were proven to be the foundry of world class footballers.

As they continue to rapidly develop, our Leagues will produce an ever more exciting conveyor belt of Australasian talent that will sit at the heart of our game’s future international successes and deliver ever more competitive and hard-fought domestic fixtures.

Over the next few days and weeks I will meet with representatives of the entire Australian and New Zealand football family, as I get to work on helping to realise the ambition we all have for our game. I will meet with our clubs, our staff, our broadcast and commercial partners, representatives of the FA and its Congress, and representatives of Federal and State government. Each engagement will produce invaluable insights and opportunities. But none more so than those that I intend to continuously seek from football fans of all backgrounds across Australia and New Zealand.

My appointment means that for the first time our professional game has an independent chair. I will oversee a highly qualified and diverse Board that will welcome another independent director in the coming months. With a talented, hard-working and passionate executive team in place, APL is an organisation intent on delivering on its responsibilities to the whole game.

Having spent 35 years in the passionately tribal world that is Australian politics, including 20 years as a Senator and five and a half years as a Minister, I’m well aware that taking on a leadership role like this will mean once again navigating robust and diverse opinions. But that is simply a product of the incredible passion of football fans who are an integral part of the unrivalled levels of participation of our sport. The opportunity is to unite that passion and drive this game forward to unprecedented levels of success.

We have a lot of work to do, but the opportunity has never been greater. I know that you want the best for your club, and my intent is to make sure that everyone who loves our game feels included in the truly exciting journey that lies ahead.

Thank you for making time to read this letter, and more importantly thank you for your passion for our game.

What an incredible amount of words to say absolutely nothing.

I love when these blow-in flogs try to win credibility as football fans by naming an EPL side they followed "since they were a boy", yet he can't name a single local club that he's had an association with/played with/kids play with et al.

Not sure about that. The offside calls (which aside from the current debacle) are usually pretty spot on.

The penalty calls seem to be way more variable.
Offsides probably are right but I can't stand goals being disallowed because a pubic hair is 'offside'...

The fouls, cards etc are dumb. Watching a replay of a tackle in slow motion to determine a card/foul/pen is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back