A-League A-Leagues Men and Women 2023/24 Off Season Thread

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOODWIN GONE!!!

Yikes, we're in serious strife unless the owners start pulling out their pockets and make some signings.

I typically hate our current Socceroos chasing dollars in gulf states (and previously in China), but you can’t be critical of $2.5m a year. Hope the Reds got a transfer fee.
Saudi Arabia for Goodwin?
Might as well cash in. Adelaide United have no interest in building around Goodwin and invest.

Season 10 Finale GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

An ex politician expect a lot more spin, Conroy Favorite to become chairman of the APL.

Stephen Conroy set to take the baton from Matildas​

The Women’s World Cup party is over, and it appears Stephen Conroy will have a big role to play in ensuring the good times keep rolling on for Australian football.

The former minister is set to become the new chair of the Australian Professional Leagues, the body that runs the A-Leagues and he is hoping to carry on the momentum of the past month into the start of the new season in October.
Conroy, who was born in England and supports Sam Kerr’s Chelsea, is no stranger to Aussie soccer politics. He was in the mix to join the board of what was then known as Football Federation Australia in late 2018, when the Lowy family was being squeezed out of the game amid a club-led revolution.
He didn’t make it, but his relationship with certain APL powerbrokers has made him the leading candidate to become the organisation’s new independent chair and to take over from Western Sydney Wanderers owner Paul Lederer.
Conroy’s Labor ties would have been helpful a few weeks ago, when the APL was pitching for a share in the recently announced $200 million fund for women’s sport. But his lobbying nous – he chairs TG Public Affairs, and was called in by PwC when the tax scandal broke – surely can’t hurt the game’s ambitions to unlock more government support.
Conroy did not return calls, and sources say it’s not quite a done deal. His appointment as APL chair is subject to formal approval by the board, which includes representatives from Football Australia and Silver Lake, the private equity firm that has invested $140 million into the A-Leagues.
Let’s hope the APL can do a little better than the last time it tried to capitalise on Australian success at a World Cup. It’s only eight months ago that Melbourne Victory fans stormed the pitch and assaulted an opposition goalkeeper, partly out of anger at the league’s pig-brained decision to controversially sell future grand final hosting rights to Destination NSW.

correction​

This article originally said Simon Birmingham was the only federal Liberal MP in attendance at the ABL event. This is incorrect. Several federal Liberal MPs were in attendance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide should have ponied up 1.5 mil a season for Goody.

Not as much as Saudi but surely enough to keep him in Australia. Would have been worth it too.

Get the feeling Goodwin will play a season, get sick of Saudi and be back playing A League in 24/25.

According to his missus it wasn't about the money in regards to Adelaide's contract offer. It was about the length of contract.

I’m not sure if there’s a foreign quota rule in Saudi Arabia or not.
But if there is it wouldn’t surprise me if the club eventually releases Goodwin with a payout from his contract 18 months in as they bring in better players from Europe.

This happened to the Aussie players a lot in China where even Mooy was frozen out due to better players coming in.

Adelaide should have ponied up 1.5 mil a season for Goody.

Not as much as Saudi but surely enough to keep him in Australia. Would have been worth it too.

Get the feeling Goodwin will play a season, get sick of Saudi and be back playing A League in 24/25.
We're not like Victory, Sydney, City. We don't have that kind of money to throw at 1 player.

A-League marquee fund
Previously only been allowed for attracting overseas or overseas-based players, not retaining. I don't think it's even been used much?

In any case it did sound like contract length was also an issue. Something like 3 additional years on top of the 2 remaining. It's Goodwin, but I'm not sure we can responsibly commit to that.

Previously only been allowed for attracting overseas or overseas-based players, not retaining. I don't think it's even been used much?

In any case it did sound like contract length was also an issue. Something like 3 additional years on top of the 2 remaining. It's Goodwin, but I'm not sure we can responsibly commit to that.

There's no way he is spending 5 years in Saudi.

I’m not sure if there’s a foreign quota rule in Saudi Arabia or not.
But if there is it wouldn’t surprise me if the club eventually releases Goodwin with a payout from his contract 18 months in as they bring in better players from Europe.

This happened to the Aussie players a lot in China where even Mooy was frozen out due to better players coming in.

There is a foreign quota. Jota from Celtic signed for 25m with wages of 10m a season. His club then wanted to get rid of him like a month later because they wanted to sign Salah in the foreign slot instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back