2023/24 Melbourne Victory Thread - Goodbye Popovic

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a coach to teach our players to hold on to to a freaking lead! You could see it a mile away that it was going to happen.

The last 2 subs absolutely destroyed us.

Popovic at the end of the match looked like someone reached out and ripped his heart out then stomped on it! Five Grand Finals zero wins he must be thinking he's cursed!

So do we give him a contract extension? Or do we go for someone who can actually win Grand Finals?
Im gutted

We need a coach to teach our players to hold on to to a freaking lead! You could see it a mile away that it was going to happen.

The last 2 subs absolutely destroyed us.

I'm shattered. Can't believe how bad Brimmer was, no effort and played like a player who was off elsewhere. The subs were garbage.

Next season we need Zawada plus a new mid plus a new CB minimum.

Must get one more season out of Bruno & Da Silva.

It's typical Popa, take the lead then shut up shop... except the opposition have a battering ram and will always break through eventually.

At the start of the season our depth was lauded. Unfortunately, Ikon is rubbish (that's against Popa for bringing him over). Folami isn't good enough (he was re-signed under Popa). Brimmer has stunk since coming back and checked out long ago. Bonevacia was a late comer and couldn't get fit enough (weird signing from Popa). Velupillay is borderline depth but really needs to show something more next season. Chapman didn't have the pace to keep up at FB. That's just the subs!

Plenty of holes in the squad. It's a miracle we got this far... this part is a credit to Popa's defensive style, well drilled and always keeps us in it, but sh*t to watch. Largely carried by Da Silva, Izzo, Geria, Teague, and Fornaroli early days.

Roderick is the Dougal Howard of our defence, mad brain farts. Traore getting old and body unreliable (can't have that when working with tight squad budgets next season). Arzani recieves a lot of ball but not enough regular service from him in my opinion. Machach is the definition of "hot and cold". Khelifi started showing promise in the last few matches. Teague is a beauty and shoud be held on to (a healthy transfer fee should arrive eventually). Valadon has something and reminds me of a young Broxham.

Really only 8 players I'd absolutely keep. Our youth team is kicking butt in NPL and show more skill and heart than the criminally overpaid Ikon. Bring on the changes.

Khelifi seemed to be simply taking wages off Glory's hands to help them out while they transitioned to a new owner. Did he even get a single assist or goal? With Folami/Nish on the books already a complete waste of time.

Nigro I thought we might have retained for cover at LB/RB.

Does this mean Adama is staying? He is good but getting on a bit. I'd like to see more of Bos next season at LB.

What's the go with Bonevacia? He performed pretty well IMO, took a while to get going though. Even if he stays we need another quality CM. I'd like to see Teague/Zizou and another quality mid as our starting mid next season. Valadon, Bonevacia & Monge as depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back