Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

That’s not that far fetched. I know of at least one U18 scout who thinks he may slide(to around 10) due to his height.
Sounds like that Weddle fellow that the Hawks foolishly traded up to get...rookie Hawks recruiting team

That’s not that far fetched. I know of at least one U18 scout who thinks he may slide(to around 10) due to his height.

Curnow slid for the same reason (amongst other reasons). Was always one of the top 3-5 based on talent/athleticism alone.

I don’t know how to post Instagram things here but the Wizard is kicking silly goals and not even caring. Walking off giving the it the old ‘Did that go through did it? Sorry, I was on the phone’
Might be a bit bored at that level.

Edit: Nailed posting the Instagram thing, don’t even care though, too easy ya know?

Aker-like.

Nate Caddy has pros and cons, the pros are his courage jumping into packs, aerial ability ect, his cons are he can be inaccurate at goal(I don't know the stats, but I've seen him miss a lot of gettable goals In the last 2 years) isn't great with the ground ball and lacks that physical presence a taller or wider frame gives, I think somewhere around 10 is right, he does have ability, but he also has shown some weaknesses to his game, you have to factor everything in when making these calls imo.

What level is he playing at? Heard he was playing school footy a few weeks back.
Yep. APS school footy. He's kicked bags the last few weeks. And is just cruising at this level.

I'm not worried about his height. Has a very good vertical leap too. Only question mark would be depth in his kicking so will need to keep an eye on that in the champs. He was only up fwd in the half I saw so didn't get to showcase any midfield kicking.

I was more worried about his build rather than height but having seen him in the flesh that will be fine.

193cm is ok when you already have a 200cm KF. Plus his wingspan / reach are supposedly greater than normal. Elite at ground level.

We absolutely need a Roughead type player more than any other right now.

193cm is ok when you already have a 200cm KF. Plus his wingspan / reach are supposedly greater than normal. Elite at ground level.

We absolutely need a Roughead type player more than any other right now.

All will come down to the Nat Championships.

If we're comparing Caddy with Roughie, Rough absolutely smashed the door down at Gippsland Power with 40-odd goals for the season (and also had that allure of being an elite multi-sports youngster, having also played at top level for basketball).

Will be really interesting to see how all these hyped youngsters do once they're battling against each other - love the look of the raw Caddy but the Wizard just looks like an excitement machine.

All will come down to the Nat Championships.

If we're comparing Caddy with Roughie, Rough absolutely smashed the door down at Gippsland Power with 40-odd goals for the season (and also had that allure of being an elite multi-sports youngster, having also played at top level for basketball).

Will be really interesting to see how all these hyped youngsters do once they're battling against each other - love the look of the raw Caddy but the Wizard just looks like an excitement machine.

More impressed with Caddy holding his own in the Vfl than Waston playing school footy

Hey Davo can you see Sanders pushing into the top 10 maybe top 5 ? Had a massive game on the weekend
He had one of his best games, but I'm not sure because he isn't very impactful with poss, a lot of 1 - 2s that break down, a lot of chip kicks and handballs, he reminds me of the output of Tom Mitchell, gets it a lot, but doesn't really hurt the opposition(only when he has high quality team mates to feed he looks a little better like TOM), but if he keeps performing he will be in the conversation for top 10, he has always had the potential to go top 10, this is the first time he has shown that potential in performance, the previous 10 games I've seen from him were lacking tbh.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No you won’t.

Because Fox Footy will be interviewing whoever went before him, and they’ll do that charade where the clubs all sit in their room looking at the live feed and themselves on camera, because they’ve already made their selection, but Fox Footy want to pretend like the clubs are still making their decision after 3 minutes.
To be fair it'll take Sleepy Mark 2 seconds to make the decision after he takes three minutes to wake up......

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Watson has a mortgage on 2.

From 3 on, it's a lottery.
I'm not so sure.

I could see either WCE &/or North selecting a KP or more structural player. Especially if WCE end with Pick 2 (Curtin, perhaps).

Whenever our pick is, I'm hoping that he's still available. In saying that, I'm still super keen to see Archer Reid dominate at Champs & audition for us.

More impressed with Caddy holding his own in the Vfl than Waston playing school footy
Will Watson play any vfl? Seems to have missed the window. Watson tearing up school footy really doesn’t tell you much. Seeing how his game translates against bigger bodies is the concern.

I'd be keeping an eye on Zane Duursma. I've been critical of his finer skills in the past, but his game this weekend was superb. His impact per possession is insane, when he settles into the game he plays like he's in the matrix. He's a natural forward as well, I love CMac and Butler but they're pretty clearly midfielders playing forward. Get Bruesty in as a mentor and let him build his stamina and midfield craft on the job.

I'd be keeping an eye on Zane Duursma. I've been critical of his finer skills in the past, but his game this weekend was superb. His impact per possession is insane, when he settles into the game he plays like he's in the matrix. He's a natural forward as well, I love CMac and Butler but they're pretty clearly midfielders playing forward. Get Bruesty in as a mentor and let him build his stamina and midfield craft on the job.
He sounds a very promising player.

Describes himself as a 190cm mid/forward.

Has pace and very clean skills. It's ticking two boxes here, we need more zip and class around the ball to balance things out.

Some pretty neat highlights around the place, I think you're right with the matrix comparison. Silky smooth too. We need more of that with the retirement of Breust likely coming in a year or two.

Last edited:
Back