Review 2023 AFLW Supplementary Draft Discussion April

Remove this Banner Ad

Then use why used didn't use the used latest use data used from used the use last used draft use but used you use you used you use the used 1 use before.
.....................it's called an example, champion. I used it because it relates to the draft year of the aforementioned Charlie Rowbottom.

If you click on the example, you'll even be taken to a page where you can access the (identical) zone rules for the draft year of the aforementioned Montana Ham.

Round 1

1 Geelong Cats
2 Port Adelaide
3 Fremantle
4 Hawthorn
5 Carlton
6 Gold Coast SUNS
7 Fremantle
8 GWS GIANTS
9 Carlton
10 Gold Coast SUNS
11 Western Bulldogs
12 Port Adelaide
13 Collingwood
14 Collingwood
15 Western Bulldogs
16 Port Adelaide
17 Brisbane Lions

Round 2

18 Fremantle
19 Hawthorn
20 Carlton
21 St Kilda
22 Fremantle
23 GWS GIANTS
24 Gold Coast SUNS
25 Western Bulldogs
26 North Melbourne
27 Richmond

Round 3

28 Carlton

Round 4

29 Adelaide Crows

29 spots (maybe) vs 529 players. Last draft 87 spots (available) vs 667 players. 5.5% vs 13% odds of getting onto a list, just in case anyone else was curious.

Hawks have 27 players but only 2 picks? Unless they haven't counted the Rd2 North selection as theirs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it's all over, just like that. Wish they'd go a tiny bit slower 😅 As compared with the mens draft which could be done in a quarter of the time...
I imagine the year-end draft will be in-person and hence slower than it needs to be. Not as long as the men's, though. I think the live trading is partly to blame for that. Between trades and academy picks, I remember the Saints being 'next pick' for something like half an hour in the covid draft before taking Matthew Allison.

I imagine the year-end draft will be in-person and hence slower than it needs to be. Not as long as the men's, though. I think the live trading is partly to blame for that. Between trades and academy picks, I remember the Saints being 'next pick' for something like half an hour in the covid draft before taking Matthew Allison.
Yeah, they're slow as hell. It's not just the pick trading though, pretty sure the clubs are told to slow it down, take the full five minutes in the first round, and then they drag it out over two nights to try and make it a spectacle for broadcast even though it's an absolute snoozefest.

The AFL is yet to learn the difference between good suspense and bad suspense.

Yeah, they're slow as hell. It's not just the pick trading though, pretty sure the clubs are told to slow it down, take the full five minutes in the first round, and then they drag it out over two nights to try and make it a spectacle for broadcast even though it's an absolute snoozefest.

The AFL is yet to learn the difference between good suspense and bad suspense.
The actual Foxtel broadcast is awful. I haven't watched it in years. I usually have the official site's stream on in the background as I do other things. Listening to Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge fill time is much better than the actual event.

I will say, as somebody who follows some of the American sports' drafts, it could be a lot worse.

The actual Foxtel broadcast is awful. I haven't watched it in years. I usually have the official site's stream on in the background as I do other things. Listening to Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge fill time is much better than the actual event.

I will say, as somebody who follows some of the American sports' drafts, it could be a lot worse.

How it was done in 2008 and prior was the best way of doing it.

Plus, it was done in the morning and finished around lunch time.

I keep the draft orders up to date on the night, and then have both the trade board and the Essendon board to keep an eye on (not usually by myself thankfully). As a result I actually record the Foxtel version of the draft, as sometimes it's the only way to know when a live trade happened! And then cross referencing that with twitter and stuff. Sometimes I also have the AFL.com.au version running as well.

It's quite the cacophony, but I'm pretty good at ignoring the waffle. Usually trying to eat dinner as well 🤣 Once it's done and a bunch of people on BigFooty have scrutinised it and cross-checked any assumptions that I've made, it's generally the only reliable draft order for about 12 months (for death riding and slightly more realistic hypothetical trades and such).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back