Review 2023 AFLW Supplementary Draft Discussion April

Remove this Banner Ad

Game on bitches!
The Breakfast Club Reaction GIF

Follow the stickied confirmed thread for all your AFLW draft, sign & trade news 😊

e.g.

AFLW Media Release – Information regarding draft nominations​

The AFL is pleased to announce that the upcoming AFLW Draft will allow players to nominate for a ‘national pool’ for the first time.

Players who nominate for the national pool elect to be considered by all 18 clubs in the NAB AFLW Competition.

A player has the choice to nominate for their home state’s draft pool or nominate to enter in a national draft pool.

AFL General Manager Women’s Football Nicole Livingstone said the update was an exciting step in the evolution of the AFLW.

"There is an increased appetite for AFLW players to chase their football dreams in other states, as more opportunities (18 clubs) are presented to them to play footy," Livingstone said.

"With the continued progression of the AFLW competition, we will continue to look at how we can have a draft that balances integrity, fairness and support for potential draftees."

National draft pool​

A draft prospect who nominates for the ‘national draft pool’ can be drafted by any of the 18 AFLW clubs.

If they are drafted by a club in another state other than their home state, they will be eligible for relocation support.

Home-state draft pool​

A player who nominates for their home-state draft pool can be selected by a club in their home state.
  • Resides in Victoria: Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong Cats, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney Swans, Western Bulldogs
  • Resides in South Australia: Adelaide Crows or Port Adelaide
  • Resides in Western Australia: Fremantle or West Coast
  • Resides in Queensland: Brisbane or Gold Coast SUNS
  • Resides in New South Wales or the Australian Capital Territory: GWS GIANTS or Sydney Swans
  • Resides in Tasmania*: North Melbourne
International players must nominate for the national draft pool.

*Players residing in Tasmania and the Northern Territory are permitted to nominate for any state pool.

The date and time of the AFLW Draft will be announced in due course.

Also, for some clarity around where this off-season fits in and how the threads will work:

The 2022 AFLW Draft was held in June 2022, ahead of Season 7, included everyone who turned 18 before 31 December 2022. The 2022 AFLW Draft Discussion thread covered their development through U18s to the draft.

In 2023 there are expected to be two drafts to be discussed in this thread (2023 AFLW Draft Discussion):
  • The overage draft in Feb or March 2022, ahead of Season 8, which should include everyone who was previously draft eligible (i.e., turned 18 before 31 December 2022). It is likely to be a very short draft due to the lack of depth of talent and the lack of minimum delistings. Spots will be opened through PSP signings and trades, meaning that most of the movement will be existing AFLW players moving between clubs. Without a junior season in between, clubs are likely to draft players who are already familiar to them from their seconds teams.
  • The 2023 AFLW Draft, expected to be held at the end of 2023, ahead of Season 9 & after the junior and senior footy seasons have finished, which should include everyone who turns 18 on or before 31 December 2023, which is to say 2005 babies.
    • While it's possible that the precise date of this event will be pushed into early 2024 (especially with how slack AFL House is in organising the women's comp season and off-season dates), all of the 2005 babies will continue to be discussed in this thread.
The 2024 AFLW Draft is expected to be held at the end of 2024, ahead of Season 10, and should include everyone who turns 18 on or before 31 December 2024, aka 2006 babies. Follow their development in the 2023 U17s thread (this will eventually be renamed to the '2024 AFLW Draft Discussion' thread).

"From there, the timing of AFLW trade and draft periods are tipped to fall in line with that of the men's competition and are expected to be held towards the end of each year."

So effectively Season 7 and this upcoming overage draft are "extra" while the AFL rotates the season dates, which is why they are out of step with the usual flow of junior and 2nds seasons and ordinary off-season events.

Last edited:

So is that the Davies , Duursma and Ham loophole closed. Choosing pools guaranteeing move.
To some extent, although under these rules Ham would still go to Sydney because she'd nominate for the open pool and they'd use pick 1 on her, same as they did anyway with her nominating NSW.

Could also have players move interstate in advance of their draft nomination so as to reside in their chosen state, though it takes some finances to do it so wouldn't be an option for everybody (short of sponsorship, a job you start with a club sponsor or wealthy supporter before the actual draft).

To some extent, although under these rules Ham would still go to Sydney because she'd nominate for the open pool and they'd use pick 1 on her, same as they did anyway with her nominating NSW.

Could also have players move interstate in advance of their draft nomination so as to reside in their chosen state, though it takes some finances to do it so wouldn't be an option for everybody (short of sponsorship, a job you start with a club sponsor or wealthy supporter before the actual draft).
Interestingly enough, Ham would go to Sydney one way or another. We are listed under Victoria AND NSW/CBR. If not a typo, that is a massive bonus for the Swans, and a slap in the face for GWS (I mean... I don't hate it).

Interestingly enough, Ham would go to Sydney one way or another. We are listed under Victoria AND NSW/CBR. If not a typo, that is a massive bonus for the Swans, and a slap in the face for GWS (I mean... I don't hate it).
That's weird. I would think it's a typo, would be awful to be a Vic resident with a need to stay in Vic being randomly sent to Sydney as if it's no big deal. It's still a part-time league and most of them have work, study or family commitments that are based in their respective states and can't easily be uprooted for a part-time gig playing footy.

That's weird. I would think it's a typo, would be awful to be a Vic resident with a need to stay in Vic being randomly sent to Sydney as if it's no big deal. It's still a part-time league and most of them have work, study or family commitments that are based in their respective states and can't easily be uprooted for a part-time gig playing footy.

Yes, of course.

Which also confuses me, because what was so wrong with the old system in that case, where potential draftees can nominate the state of their choice? I believe Rowbottom and Ham both had specific uni courses they wanted to do which is why they chose QLD and NSW respectively. Why would any player (particularly a Victorian player) nominate the national pool over their home state given the lack of money currently in the AFLW program?

Yes, of course.

Which also confuses me, because what was so wrong with the old system in that case, where potential draftees can nominate the state of their choice? I believe Rowbottom and Ham both had specific uni courses they wanted to do which is why they chose QLD and NSW respectively. Why would any player (particularly a Victorian player) nominate the national pool over their home state given the lack of money currently in the AFLW program?
Presumably those sort of cases will need to be resident in that state when they nominate for the draft, or it might be a case of telling the clubs at interviews why they're nominating for the open pool. I'm sure the same sort of scenario happens with some of the boys that nominate for the draft too, but they don't have a state-based option at all and even the lowest paid players can afford to feed, clothe and shelter themselves in any state on a footy salary.

It would make more sense if the first 1-2 rounds of the draft were open-pool only. Usually the first and second round draft choice players are paid better than the later picks as well, although I'm not sure of the specifics for the women (I don't think it's published anywhere). So as a state-choice player is expected to be a part-timer with another job or other commitments during the year, but open pool players are full time, can go anywhere and are paid accordingly, or something like that.

Longer term contracts would help too. No one wants to move to Sydney or Perth just for a couple of months, but a couple of years is more worthwhile, can sign an annual rental agreement against the annual base salary on the contract and that sort of thing. At the moment only Sydney is allowed to do that, but it should become more common as the competition becomes fully professional.

It would make more sense if the first 1-2 rounds of the draft were open-pool only. Usually the first and second round draft choice players are paid better than the later picks as well, although I'm not sure of the specifics for the women (I don't think it's published anywhere). So as a state-choice player is expected to be a part-timer with another job or other commitments during the year, but open pool players are full time, can go anywhere and are paid accordingly, or something like that.

Yeah I think it would make sense if there was some sort of incentive to nominate for the national pool - I know it says they would be eligible for relocation assistance or whatever but that could mean anything from a $10 Ikea voucher to meaningful rent assistance.

Dates are finally up! WOohoo!

• It will be officially called the 'AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft'
  • APRIL 4TH. Put it in your diary folks.
  • One-off to synchronise AFLW and talent pathways for the future.
  • Not mandatory. It's kind of like the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) for the men's, except they take turns picking.

Also this morning there was an article by Sarah Black on the womens.afl website which mentions that the AFL has clarified expansion clubs can also lose players to expansion signings based on their ladder finishing position. So Essendon could lose 1 and gain 2 through that process, etc.

I would go the other way in later rounds being more open -pool. I think AFL want the open pool and say next year look how successful you can all go in Open Pool. Takes Port's and Adelaide's two outstanding SA Draft Pool in 24 & 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would any player (particularly a Victorian player) nominate the national pool over their home state given the lack of money currently in the AFLW program?
As an 18 year old I would have moved anywhere in the country for a $39k annual contract to play my sport professionally. Absolutely no questions asked. Even if I knew it might be only a one year opportunity, then get cut and go back to full time uni.

It seems like small pay to those who are all grown up and supporting kids and etc (and I'm sure that's a problem for older AFLW players who are stuck on lower tiers), but for a teenager living in a share house? Gravy.

Doesn't mean the players shouldn't get paid more and get more security. But I don't think they'll have a lack of sign-ups for a national pool, amongst girls who have grown up planning and dreaming about being in the AFLW draft (and they're all familiar with the men's draft which always sees young guys relocating).

As an 18 year old I would have moved anywhere in the country for a $39k annual contract to play my sport professionally. Absolutely no questions asked. Even if I knew it might be only a one year opportunity, then get cut and go back to full time uni.

It seems like small pay to those who are all grown up and supporting kids and etc (and I'm sure that's a problem for older AFLW players who are stuck on lower tiers), but for a teenager living in a share house? Gravy.

Doesn't mean the players shouldn't get paid more and get more security. But I don't think they'll have a lack of sign-ups for a national pool, amongst girls who have grown up planning and dreaming about being in the AFLW draft (and they're all familiar with the men's draft which always sees young guys relocating).
The timing of the season possibly lends itself to this circumstance as well. Get drafted at the end of the year, move during Jan/Feb, get yourself settled in a place and find a part-time job to supplement the AFLW contract. In the past, it would have been overwhelming to be drafted during high school (thinking 2017-2021 drafts) and know that immediately after your finish exams in November you will be right into the preseason with round 1 kicking off in Jan/Feb.

I guess time will tell as to whether the AFLW and its talent pool are ready for this option or not but hopefully it means some of the back-end draft talents are better able to get exposure to all 18 clubs with the knowledge they may be available to anyone.

Another week of PSP and here is my guesses and they will probably not age well:

Sydney - 4 available
1. Tayla Harris reasoning is Sydney has been good to Key Forwards in past (Lockett, Hall & Buddy), has won a premiership after 3 GF. No limit Boxing has good deal with Foxtel & Main Event join their stable in Sydney. Also Melbourne FC untouched.
2. A defender from North Melbourne maybe D. Hardiman - this is known as the Scot Gowans effect.
3. Someone from GWS not a marquee - maybe C. Dalton
4. Gold Coast or Geelong player

It is never an expansion raid without a Blue bagger and Dog

Essendon - 2 Available
1. C Moody forced to play key forward instead of Ruck
2. TBA - Cat or Demon

Hawks -1 Available
1. V. Laloifi - While Carlton are without a coach and get their stuff together

Port - 1 Available
1. Grace Kelly St Kilda be with sister in SA. Can move due to time at WCE.

Another week of PSP

I know there's been a lot of hand-wringing about PSP and the expansion clubs being able to recruit players without a trade... but I feel like it's a bit overblown. Ok you don't have to satisfy the existing club with a trade (reason being that the expansion clubs have ZERO trade capital with the compromised overaged draft), but you still have to convince the players to come and play for you. If there's not a lot of money in the league right now, then all you can promise is success - which the expansion clubs cannot offer for the next few years.

There's theoretically 13 spots that can be filled via PSP, but I wouldn't be surprised if only 6-8 players make the switch. There's only so many tier 1 and 2 spots available on each team and IMO for the most part it will be players switching to move up a tier, or if they can be persuaded by way of a longer contract or leadership position.

For the Swans, I'm happy that we've landed our big fish in Molloy, but I daresay they've been working on her since before the start of season 7. I would be happy enough to then also get 2-3 more experienced players to stiffen up the spine and give the young players something to work with and someone to learn from. We're not going to get 5 bona fide stars out of 5. I'd be shocked if we pick up more than 2-3 players keen to move up a tier or who have worked out some sort of career/study option in Sydney. I agree with the idea that we can most likely lure someone from across town from GWS (sadly Jess Doyle hasn't played enough seasons to be eligible for us to steal her back), but I don't know if Tayla Harris is the answer

Another PSP move by the Swans Lucy McEvoy from Carlton will be wearing Red & White next season. Wonder who the Irish talent is we're looking at:think:
Dunno, but I think it's interesting that Port have signed a SANFLW player as PSP.

Not sure if that comes out of the max signings for them or not, but if it does then we're down to a maximum of 12 AFLW players being poached through PSP.

I wonder if Irish players also count as part of your signings 🤔

I agree the mid-bottom established clubs suffer. And that it's unfair. But I think it's part of the growing pains of the competition. AFL is not a level playing field, and AFLW is currently nowhere near a level playing field. But we're building towards a better future.

I think that while damage may be done to supporter groups short term, the sooner we can get a relatively equal national competition the better it will be for the long term health of AFLW and the women's game. The extra concessions are only good for the players because it effectively slightly tops up the overall payment pool and nobody has to sign on to anyone via the PSP.

Congratulations to Melbourne for hanging on to all their players (so far) - but I guess that's the advantage of being the reigning premiers and aiming to go back-to-back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back